All Topics / Value Adding / Subdivision in Monash City Council, Victoria

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of tktingtkting
    @tkting

Hi everyone,

We are currently looking at a property in Mount Waverley in Melbourne. The property is a house set on 714m2 of land and there is legal access to the land at the back of the house. If we do buy we plan to subdivide and sell the vacant block, then keep the house for rental.

Appreciate it if anyone with subdivision experience in this area can share some info on:

1. Is there minimum lot size required by Monash City Council for these subdivisions?
    2. What are the costs of utilities (gas, electricity etc) connection?
    3. Can you refer any good town planners who can take the subdivision from ‘start to finish’?

I have checked the Planning Scheme and there does not seem to be any overlays that restrict subdivision (it’s Residential 1 zoning).

Thanks in advance,
    TK

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi TK,

In answer to your queries:

1) There is no minimum lot size, however there are requirements for car parking, open space etc that mean that in reality the lot has to be of a certain size. Having said this, a good designer will often be able to fit a dual occ on a block that a less skillful designer could not.
    2) Not sure
    3) Have a look at my company’s web site http://www.town-planning.com.au I would be happy to assist you.

Please keep in mind that margins are generally pretty thin for this type of development in the current climate, so make sure you buy well.

Regards
    Alistair

Profile photo of salsachinitasalsachinita
    @salsachinita

I grew up in Mt Waverley & my parents own their IP there as well.

One thing I would like to bring to your attention, is that while it seems that everyone is subdividing a whole block, some streets actually has restrctions (usually put in place by the original orchard owners who subdivided the blocks) which would stop you from subdividing your block [blink]!!!

Many people bought in the same street where my parents’ IP located, intending to subdivide & build 2 or 3 units on site, have actually run into hot water with the council [hmm]….

While it is not impossible to overturn a clause/caveat that was set up over half a century ago, it IS complicated & time consuming. Many would-be developers simply on-sold & got out.

Please check with Monash council before making an offer. Lands with such restrctions may well be worthwhile (because the street is likely to have big family homes instead of units, hense holding value), and the restriction can be used as a bargaining tool [biggrin]!

Good luck with it, whatever you’ve decided to do!

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

I know the City of Monash very well – we are currenlty involved in over 30 development projects in that Municipality – probably the biggest developer in the area – http://www.metropoleprojects.com.au

The council is not going to just let you subdivide the block. You will need a town plannng permit for a dwelling on the second block and they will require you to enter into a Section 173 Agreement – which basicaly binds the owner of the new subdivided block to only build what has been approved on it.

Its not as easy as you imagine.

I would take up Alistair Perry’s offer – you need some smart town planning advice and he should be able to help you.

By the way – Mt Waverley is a great suburb to get involved in property investment or development.

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Publisher of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 17,000 readers.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of vivienneyleevivienneylee
    @vivienneylee

HI TKI am planning for a subdivision in Mount Waverley, interested in knowing how you went with yours a few years ago. Do you know any good town planners in that area?Thanks in advanceVL

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Hi TK,

Some good advice already.

There is a process (alluded to by Michael) that is quite complex and time consuming. As also mentioned there may be other restrictions – beyond town planning – that could preclude development. A covenant will show up on a title search, or if the property is for sale then within the contract S32.

In short, here's what ahead of you:

1. Assessment: Assess the proposed project. Is it possible and is it profitable?
    2. Strategy: Devise the strategy for your project.
    3. Concepts: Prepare concepts for town planning and building "trouble-shooting".
    4. Application: Make application for your TPP, and obtain your TPP
    5. Detail: Convert your planning documentation into working documentation
    6. Build: Build the property while formalising the subdivision
    7. Realise: Either rent or sell.

Good luck in your research and ultimately good luck with your project.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.