All Topics / General Property / Renting out – Australia’s most unsuccessful busine

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of clonesclones
    Participant
    @clones

Look like more bad news are coming.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/tim-colebatch/safe-as-houses-no-more/2006/08/28/1156617272592.html?page=2

Clones

The net result is not so much lies, damn lies and statistics but rather vendor dreaming, buyer wishing and agent glossing.

Profile photo of mcdeyessmcdeyess
    @mcdeyess

Great post Clones a very interesting article.

I must admit to being completley naive with regards to Super in particular SMSF. I know how much super I have and the contributions my employer and I make but that is about it.

Can anyone explain to me how this “tax-free” super is some kind of super investment? (no pun intended)

Cheers,

[email protected]

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Under the new rules, those aged 60+ can withdraw funds from their superannuation tax-free. That is, regardless of employment/income situation etc, they can take small or large lumps out and not include this as assessable income, as I understand it.

Direct share investments or real estate have capital gains tax to pay, and are therefore less attractive under the new rules.

Cheers, F.

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling

My Grandmother (rest her soul) used to say….”If you haven’t got anything nice to say about something, don’t say anything at all.”

So, regarding that article….no comment.

Profile photo of clonesclones
    Participant
    @clones

The fact is that property investment is and will continue losing its attractiveness.

There will always some people investing in one activity or another and some of them will generate value and some won’t and this is what is happening with property, those that come before the boom have generated value and that image is still in their minds, those that came at the end of the boom are getting in some big troubles but at the same time people like dazziling will continue to create value ;), saying that that value created does not mean that is higher or better than any other investment, and in my opinion is lower at the moment compare even against saving accounts and will continue to be even lower with more interest rates increases.

Clones

The net result is not so much lies, damn lies and statistics but rather vendor dreaming, buyer wishing and agent glossing.

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

The Govt can always put a tax back in later. At least with other investments, although you are taxed, you can exit when you dont like the situation anymore. Cant with Super.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Of course you can withdraw voluntary contributions from super – which I assume is what we’re talking of here, as direct investment in houses is near impossible under compulsory contributions.

Profile photo of clonesclones
    Participant
    @clones

Well look like interest rates are going up even further next year.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/rates-8212-the-only-way-is-up/2006/09/06/1157222200366.html

clones

Profile photo of EtceteraEtcetera
    @etcetera

You might want to check about being able to withdraw voluntary superannuation payments. I checked this with both of our super funds earlier this year, & was told that ALL super contributions are now protected (preserved). This includes voluntary.

We were particularly keen to check this, as we planned to (& currently do) pay our staff their bonuses into voluntary super. We have agreements with all our staff to do this. Atleast it makes them save a bit more for the future, & some of them are eligible for the co-contribution or other benefits too.

E.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.