All Topics / Help Needed! / Would U buy this of the plan?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of grant7grant7
    @grant7

Hi Everyone,

In a bit of a quandry so any advice would be helpful thanks.
    Ive secured a off the plan purchase in Bunbury WA – but have a few weeks to decide on it for sure.
    Price is 660k in CBD, with some water views of bay.
    Location is very good / central. 2 storey 3×2 with dble garage. About 130m unit. Good dev. going on around here. Its 1 of 4 in group.
    I reckon current market value is about 630k – but looking at 18 mths to complete/settle. CG has been huge around here 30% or so for last year but there was only a few % increase in the last quarter and talk is the boom is flattening out.
    So although this property is well located Im aware the market may be peaking and I know at 660k its not a price range you can quickly move if things are tight.
    Current Rental value is 350/wk (unless I can do it holiday stay)
    Any thoughts on wether this seems like a good buy or a big risk – thanks.

Grant

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Grant,

At the end of the day the decision has to be yours.

For me I would ensure that the property fits your plans and not some sales pitch that convinced you that this was the property for you. What is your plan?

Secondly – I would be worried that the Bunbury market has peaked (or is close to peaking) and that the property is going to hold its value going forward to expected completion date. Eighteen months at this stage of the cycle is a long time.

Wil you be able to get back your money if you are required to sell.

Thirdly – Can you afford this property?

Your rent return is less than 3% and as such you will be considerably out of pocket. Even allowing for interest only loans, depreciation, etc the outgoings could hold you back for some time.

if you like I am more than happy to crunch some numbers for you – no strings attached.

Fourthly – check your contract closely.

There are a number of investors who purchased something similar with a development in Mandurah. Included in the contract was a ‘sunset’ clause which said that the deal was off if the project wasn’t completed within a given timeframe. Deposits were taken and all the investors got back when the ‘contracts’ were made null and void was their money. No recognition for lost interest or opportunity.

For me the critical details is what are your plans – don’t become an investors ‘cos everyone is’ – now is the time to be prudent and not to rush headlong in because the papers are full of good news stories.

Derek
    [email protected]
    The Investors Club http://www.monopoly.tic.com.au
    0409 882 958
    Skype – derekjones2113

Profile photo of Simon CSimon C
    Participant
    @simon-c

Grant

I have to say I am not fan of off the plan properties at all. This is just me as I think there is more potential for issues can arise.

The Perth market as you know is going gang busters. Realistically its not going to continue at that pace forever.

Look and compare what has happend in some other market. Not so long ago Sydney was flying and took a correct where median values when down roughly about 10% across the board

Here are a couple of things you may want to ask yourself about the Perth market.

1) What growth do you expect over the next two years?
    2) What is the real value of the property you are considering buying?
    3) How will a delay in completion effect your investment?
    4) Have you factored the current inflationary effects in the market place (e.g. what if rates are 1% higher when you settle?)
    5) If you have to put down a deposit, where else could you invest this now to get into the current market.

I think there is still probably an opportunity to get a good return over the the next 12-24 month if you can buy at fair value. I suspect some people are paying inflated prices to get into the market or into an area they want to live or invest in. Again its choice.

Only you can decided, but I personally steer away from of the plan properties. I like to see what I am buying rather then what it may look like.

When the marker softens there is likely to be opportunity to pick up properties at a discount as developers simply want to move on to the next project. Probably some time off in the west, but have seem evidence if that in the Sydney market for some time

Good luck with it.

Cheers
    Simon C

Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Hello Grant.

I’m a former WA native now residing in NSW and while I’m nowhere near being an expert in the Bunbury area I did investigate the Peel scene recently.

Firstly, I concur with both Simon and Derek’s points entirely and encourage you to take them under serious consideration. If you aren’t au fait with any aspects then read up, research and by all means ask questions of the forum and of industry players. Also, take Derek up on the number crunching offer (sorry for pushing extra work on you, Derek :*>). The reason I say this is when you’re looking at an IP the most important aspects are the numbers and the ‘fine print’ (meaning doing your HOMEWORK). If they both check out then all there is left is the final decision to push the ‘GO’ button.

Secondly, on the whole Bunbury-specific prospect you have to consider the following:

1) Perth is at or nearing its peak. There may be a year left in the strong growth, there may be 6 months…maybe 18 months? Even after the boom there may even be a little bit of single digit growth as things settle down so if you buy now you may have let’s say, for the sake of argument, 2 years of growth before a slowdown/retreat. However, with the Mandurah rail punching through and the freeway soon to follow there likely has/will soon be an additional little spike in value around the Peel region which may filter through to Bunbury and the South West a couple months after.

2) In my opinion (and this is only my opinion) the SW will continue to be a draw card for cashed up sea changing Baby Boomers for the coming decade. However, soon they will be getting to the stage where they don’t want to climb stairs (ie. beware of double storey places if this is your age market) and soon after that (like in 10-15 years) will fall off the perch or look to downsize (ie. a possible glut of large 3-4 bedroom places).

3) Having said all this, the freeway will conect to south of Mandurah by 2009 (Salter Point area from memory) and Bunbury will become that much closer to the city meaning that new retirees will be able to enjoy the Bunbury/wine region/sea change lifestyle and be less than 2 hours from the city. To me (again, don’t take that as anyting more) this means long term growth potential.

4) Perth’s current boom is off the back of a resource bonanza which will, because the resource is non-renewable, eventually come to an end. Some say this will gut the WA market and I’m tempted to agree. However, as long as there is the lure of the sea there will likely always be grey haired freedom seekers with leisure boats stuffed full of fresh whitebait and a ballast of cash. That’s assuming a rise in sea levels doesn’t make Bunbury akin to Atlantis.[whistle]

So there’s a pile of somewhat contradictory thoughts to take into account. For the record, the reason I didn’t end up buying into Mandurah was that my target area went up almost 8% in 4 weeks and, with my portfolio, made my numbers unworkable (as I said, numbers are the key). I ended up casting my eye further afield and bought into a seaside city on the East coast for over 100K less than the Mandurah average and have been happy with the results. Remember: The DEAL OF THE DECADE comes along once a week. Don’t believe the hype, do your homework and don’t borrow more than you could reasonably service through two years of rainy days.

Best of luck,
    Art

‘Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.’ – Albert Einstein

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Grant

Why are you paying above market value for this property?

I would be inclined to suggest you not buy it – mainly for the reasons above.

But you also have to consider the opportunity cost. If you keep this one, it may mean you miss out on others – possibly more profitable sub divisions etc.

You will also have this hanging over your head for 2 more years. Worrying if it has dropped or not, worrying if you will be able to get a loan or not.

Things change, and the Low Docs or mortgae insurers may put out a policy restricting loans for these sorts of properties in that area.

I am not a fan of off the plan as this all happened to me. I signed up, the market crashed, and I worried about it for 2 years, and only was able to get out because of the contract sunset clause.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of tony wpbtony wpb
    @tony-wpb

i think you are mad even considering paying too much for something at the top of the market , yield reflects a lag in rental movement and it would be a major cashflow burden and will restrcit your ability to continue investing. Offer $400K otherwise forget it . You should wait 12mths and then you will experience what sydney and melbourne have been thru , and then someone might just accept that $400K offer.

Offer low ball offers in Sydney or Melbourne , the yields are much better and there are real opportunities to pick up bargains

Profile photo of grant7grant7
    @grant7

Thanks to Derek / Simon / Artaud / Terry & Tony for all your input. Some of which was quite lengthy and detailed.
    Proverbs 15:22 says “Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed”
    I appreciate the forum and the oppurtunity it gives to be able to hear many different points of view on a subject – often bringing in a perspective that hasnt been considered. It has certainly helped me make a more informed decision and in this case Ive decided to let this property go.

Thanks again.
    Grant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.