All Topics / Help Needed! / When to start developing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of chrisandk8chrisandk8
    Participant
    @chrisandk8

Hi all,

I’ve found a good development opportunity but my partner doesn’t want to get into such a project so early on in our property investing career. I believe with the research done including the finance side, it would be a great opportunity even if the site was purchased without getting into the development straight away.

Any suggestions?

Profile photo of cbellesinicbellesini
    Participant
    @cbellesini

Buying the development without building might not be the best use of your money, is the site just land or has it got an existing dwelling? if it is land only it might not be the best option, at least an existing house gives a few more options. Remember there are always lots of options out there so don’t necessarily rush in, if the numbers work and it looks a goer then go for it!

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

While there are lots of benefits of getting involved in property development their are heaps of risks – especially for beginners. This article will give you some idea of what I mean.

http://www.propertyupdate.com.au/articles/70/1/The-Risks-Related-to-Property-Development

On the other hand buying an investment property with development potential for the future – when you learn a bit more and have more funds behind you could be a great way to go

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 15,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Your partner seems not to be convinced so i am asuming there is a risk that you have maybe not disclosed.

Is it 100% guaranteed to return a profit

What are the down sides

How much money is the out lay and can you afford to hold it long term to get the profits you have caculated.

Is there a demand in the local market for profits

What is the guarantee on the long term you will make greater profits including holding charges

If you invest in this project will you miss out on other better opportunities because you have locked your money up.

“profits are better than wages”

D

Profile photo of chrisandk8chrisandk8
    Participant
    @chrisandk8
    Originally posted by wealth4life.com:

Your partner seems not to be convinced so i am asuming there is a risk that you have maybe not disclosed.

Is it 100% guaranteed to return a profit – Well no, nothing is 100%, but it certainly has very good prospects i.e. the numbers stack up.

What are the down sides – There are many untis built and ready to be built. The property has DA for 5 townhouses.

How much money is the out lay and can you afford to hold it long term to get the profits you have caculated. We are looking into an LVR between 90 and 100%, but hopefully lower towards 80. According to the figures it will be slightly negative until developed. We were thinking a 2 year hold before developing

Is there a demand in the local market for profits – Not so for selling t’houses/units, but rentals are in high demand and we are not looking to sell anyways

What is the guarantee on the long term you will make greater profits including holding charges – As mentioned before, research shows a good opportunity for growth and rentals

If you invest in this project will you miss out on other better opportunities because you have locked your money up. – [i]Possibly true, but the property I believe has a lot going for it and a lot of potential.[/i]“profits are better than wages”

D

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.