All Topics / Help Needed! / Girlfriend don’t like my idea.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

I was talking to my gf while we were driving about how I want to buy investment properties. And she was like, itll take all your time up, you should only have 1 or 2 at max. I’m like jeez, i want more so i can retire(nice and young). And I wont be managing them by myself. go the professionals.

She also says my people skills are bad, hmm, shes kinda right, but not to that extent. By her saying that she was saying that she reckons I couldn’t do it.
    How can I try and convince her that getting lots of properties is great.

Also I havent told her yet about the idea that i want to buy an investment property before we buy our own house. Ok, I can’t wait for an earbashing when I tell her that.

I told her that i dont want to work till im 65, i want to retire like before 40, that would be great, and still have an income coming in, so we can enjoy the rest of our lives together.hmm…

Christopher.

Profile photo of TizzyTizzy
    @tizzy

Well perhaps you don’t need to tell her the overall picture any more. You’ve done it now. Now just quietly get on with it and it will just happen. Its the actions that will convince her in the end, not what you say necessarily . I’m not advocating dishonesty, its just easier for some people to accept new ideas sometimes if they see the idea rather than hear the idea. Lots of reinforcement doesn’t hurt either. Like leaving books around, emailing her links to articles. Setting up google alerts for her in relation to property investing etc.

The part about buying an investment property before a PPOR is a really tough one. That could be read as “He doesn’t love me enough to buy a home with me to live in” . And as a woman I find that a very logical conclusion [biggrin]

You might try softening that one with a multi use ppor. Not sure, maybe a subdividable block? Or a PPOR with a rentable holiday unit attached? If you love this GF then you’ll find a way. If you are still really young then buying an IP first & renting renting together is valid too. The very best of luck.

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

Thank you alot for your quick and helpful reply Tizzy. Um, Well I am planning to buy my first IP when im 22. And she is saying that she wants to get married at 25 at the latest. So if all goes to plan, I can buy the IP at 22, then get married at 25, use the equity in my IP to get a deposit for my PPOR. Your very right with that statement you made about “He doesn’t love me enough to buy a home with me to live in”. She will say something along those lines.
    What if she is just so stubborn. She is!, and so am I!!!.

Hmm, well thank you, i’ll leave it to rest for a while, i don’t want to attack her with it, it may make the situation worse. Hmm, i might lend her some of my investment books after the HSC.

BTW i have only jsut gotten into the investing in property thing this month. And i already have a collection of 13 books, 8 of which ive read already this month. I’m obsessed. yea i’ll lend her some and she what she thinks. Hmm, some she wont like as she hates numbers, whereas numbers are my friends.

Thanks.

Christopher.

Profile photo of sam2009856sam2009856
    @sam2009856

Wow, well done! wish I had caught onto PI years back, at your age.

I think Tizzy is right. Take her to seminars and ask her if she will read a few books… give her Rich Dad Poor Dad to read first (lol here I go again).

Feed her with positive information! and make her feel comfortable in knowing at the same time that you are doing this to try and set the both of your lives up together!

But gently [evo]

Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks queengucci. Yes i must do all of this gently. Hmm, i will give her rich dad poor dad to read. That was my first book that i read this month(like financial kind of books).

Yes, Thats right I am trying to set us up for life, so we can enjoy it without having to be at work all the friggin time.

Also these days both parents have to work. I think she will like the idea of retiring 20 or more years earlier and enjoying a much better(and longer) retirement.
    When she sees my motives she will want it badly. But until then i must work hard to get her into it.

Thanks.

Christopher.

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I preferred “The Richest Man in Babylon” to “Rich Dad Poor Dad” but that’s just me..

IMHO dont worry about “convincing” her..that will just create pressure, we’re all Different and thats a Bonus.

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Online Positive Cashflow and Renovating Calculators

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

there is alot to be said for making a plan and just quietly doing it. I probably agree that there is no real need to earbash the poor girl with the grand plan all the time. You just need to be on the same page.

At 22 I already owned my first ip and had a small car loan. The “gf” at the time had a car loan, student loans + hecs debt, credit card debt and was into her family for some cash as well.

She understood every detail of our conversations about investing but had no real committement to any of it. We were on different pages.

What you don’t want to do is become like a religious zealout and try and “convert” her with books etc. (altough all the books mentioned in this thread are great reads) If you have a real passion and it is part of your life then seeing you “doing” it and enjoying it will hopefully be contagious.

cheers

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz
    Cash Flow Property

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by DLPP:

What you don’t want to do is become like a religious zealout and try and “convert” her with books etc. (altough all the books mentioned in this thread are great reads) If you have a real passion and it is part of your life then seeing you “doing” it and enjoying it will hopefully be contagious.

I don’t want to be a zealout either. I hope its contagious.

Thank you everyone for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

Christopher.

Profile photo of lstreetlstreet
    @lstreet

Hi there

I would have to agree with Queengucci!!! Rich dad poor dad is a great book if not series to read and then read and then READ!

The information that is provided in these books is PRICELESS! and even if you read steve Mcknights books he too went to a Richard Kiyosaki 3 day seminar before he started his IP business.

The best thing about rich dad poor dad is that he teaches you about the MINDSET OF A MILLIONAIRE, you can have 30 properties and without the right mindset you could lose them all. The way rich people think and the way middle class people think are 2 totally different things, and something that i am still learning before i even think about buying a property.

Its not so much a physical journey, its more an emotional journey. Getting to know your strenghts, weaknesses, and getting hold of how to control you desire – to buy things when you don’t really need them!!!! Enough blabbering from me, but i would advise you look into it!

And with your GF, i agree with TIZZY because when you mention things about your own future you are always going to have negative thoughts from people, especially if these people can’t see themself being rich! I learned that the hard way!!! My friends laughed at me when i said that i am going to be rich, BUT WE WILL SEE!

Good luck mate, and remember to stick with it regardless of what people say because you are starting at a nice young age.[biggrin]

lstreet

Profile photo of lstreetlstreet
    @lstreet

Sorry i mean ROBERT Kiyosaki!!!!!
    Sorry! Just woke up!!!!! Ha, ha, ha

lstreet

Participant
    @draconisv

You got a laugh out of my ‘Richard kiyosaki’ :).

Hm, well today she got a call to start early for work, and coz its a sunday its extra pay(time and a half), but she said she doesn’t care about money.
    I am just waiting for the sentence “money doesn’t buy you happiness”. Hmm, my reply to this is something like this, “so you would rather have little and struggle all your life”.
    I don’t want to be the one struggling, i want to retire nice and young and be able to enjoy the rest of my life.
    We have to do this, the pension will not be there when we are old, Supperannuations are crap as people live much longer. You cant live off a crap pension and your supperanuation for 20-sometimes even 45 years.

Profile photo of julsjuls
    @juls

Hi

Just thought I’d add an opinion. I think pushing it with her will get you no-where and you need to focus on your goals which are great especially at your age. I’m in my forties & read Rich Dad Poor Dad 7 years ago & it changed my life, for the better. You can ask my husband I was always negative about investing (too scared) and we now have IP’s and I share & option trade too.

Until she is ready to embrace investing (& she may never) it should not stop you, after all you aren’t married yet and if you have different goals in life better to find out now. If you love each other enough then you will learn to respect each others differences without it being an attack on the other.

Good luck with your investing and your relationship.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

you could buy the masterclass dvd pack and get her to sit in front of it and learn how to do it. The first property is the hardest
    People skills not needed . You need to know how to fill in application form at bank and how to walk into the door of a real estates office.
    How to get pest and building inspection and a solicitor to do conveyancing. it is actually easier to buy a property than sell one .
    I once bought a property in less than 8 hrs on a weekend.

Participant
    @draconisv

less than 8 hours. That would be great. Though my idea is to search around and if i find some really good ones get valuations done on them by independents and if they are highly underpriced i will snatch em. It will take some searching but i’m not going to give up for anything, nothing can stop me now.

I would just like to add, since the 10th of august I have purchased 14books on investing(and finance stuff) and i have read 7 already. I got them all from ebay, great prices(lol, i got 100 bucks value for only $12, ooh yea). I’m like obsessed reading for hours and hours and canj’t get away from the book. Ive always had a bad attitude to books, i blame my teachers making me dam shakespeare, that reminds me i have to read hamlet very soon, dam.

I’d also like to add in, rich dad poor dad was the first one i read. :)
    Love it and am planning to read it again soon.
    Thanks.

Christopher.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I made $70,000 over approx 4 years from an 8 hour buying trip and had a tenant in it within 60 days.
    When you make your first $70,000 in a growth market this will open her eyes. It certainly opened mine !
    I was living 4 hours drive away and doing university without a job so I couldn’t take too long to decide on what to buy.
    Plus house was ex housing commission and made of concrete so it is tenant damage resistant.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Don’t scare her with such big ideas. The challenge is to buy your first IP, then your second etc etc

By the time you are looking at your third one she will be comfortable with the idea.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @draconisv

Well yesterday she seen all of my investment property books that i have bought.
    And she knows im not one to read, so it was wierd to her that i was so interested. I will lend her rich dad poor dad soon, when i talk to her a little bit more about it.

Profile photo of Meeg The DeegMeeg The Deeg
    @meeg-the-deeg

So glad you’re excited Drac. Don’t blow your HSC though. You’ve worked too hard so far not to give it another few months. Find and keep the balance – with your school gear at the moment, your girlfriend because presumably you’ll be working on life together for a very long time, and your future plans of financial security. I think investing is great fun; but the balance of life is important.
    Meeg
    [grad] – not me, YOU!

Participant
    @draconisv

Thanks Meeg balance is very difficult in my life at the moment, juggling between family, friends, relationship, work, study and even time to myself is very difficult and when i add in that im starting to become obsessed with property investing, there is just not enough hours in the day for everything. I may have to stop sleeping(nah joking), thats one thing i will always love, a nice relaxing long sleep, hmm preferably with my girlfriend :).

Christopher.

Profile photo of tony wpbtony wpb
    @tony-wpb

Hi Drac,

make sure you finish your studies. You will always have that to fall back on and no one can take that away from you.

With reading the books and talking on line , it is great to have a forum to talk to like minded people, but dont lose sight of the fact you must experience these scenarios yourself.

Notice the highlight of Duckster was to make $70K from an 8 hr bus trip , not $50wk for the rest of his life? Think about that…

Also i was once a sparky , I learnt a little at trade school and heaps actually doing my job

my wife (girlfriend at the time) hated the fact that i was investing so much money into property. She got over it .

“money doesn’t buy happiness, great comment for a poor person”

cheers

tony

Wholesale Property Brokers
    http://www.wpb.com.au
    Australia*Hong Kong*Singapore*India*Malaysia

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.