All Topics / Help Needed! / Is it appropriate to post a deal here?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of Jonathan.HolmesJonathan.Holmes
    @jonathan.holmes

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I haven’t made my first purchase yet, but wondered if it was appropriate to post details of a possible purchase here for scrutiny?

Is that the done thing, or should I keep my cards close to my chest?

Cheers,

Jonathan.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Jonathon,

We don’t permit advertising and as such I will give you the benefit of the doubt. You can post the details but I would recommend you refrain from identifying the location of the property otherwise someone, less scrupulous, may sneak in before you if the property suits them and their needs.

Derek
    [email protected]
    The Investors Club http://www.monopoly.tic.com.au
    0409 882 958
    Skype – derekjones2113

Profile photo of Jonathan.HolmesJonathan.Holmes
    @jonathan.holmes

Thanks Derek,

The property is up for sale at $135000 and the annual rental is $13780.

After applying the 11 second solution, this looked attractive and worthy of closer inspection.

However, after the Body Corp fees of $4338 were applied, this started looking more like a negative cashflow.

After duplicating a possible outcome in a spreadsheet with decreasing values of $5000, I discovered that this property would not attract a CoC return of more than 10% until the price was $90,000.

Now a little about the property:

This is student housing. A 1 bedroom, twin share apartment. It is managed by a reputable non-profit organisation. As such, I would not be permitted to live there or supply my own tenants (even if I wanted to), as that is arranged by management.

The agent says that the vacancy rate is 2-3%. The agent also thinks the original 1998 price is not much less than the current asking price as there has been little or no capital growth on this site. The lease is only ever for 12 months, given that students may only attend the uni for a year and then go home.

Since there is little or no capital growth, I can’t understand how the current investor can possibly have made any money from this property. Perhaps that is why they are selling. Would it be rediculous of me to offer $85,000 and see what happens?

This property might not be a goer, but am I thinking like an investor or a dreamer?

Cheers,

Jonathan.

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Personally, I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole given that it is a one bedroom student place, and I know nothing about them. Add to that the fact that in eight years you have been told no capital growth.

I’d move on to something better, but that is just my opinion.

Wylie

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

No capital growth in 8 years. LOL, thats insane. I say that you stay away from it.

Profile photo of joshadelsajoshadelsa
    @joshadelsa

when it comes to the finance side of things.

LVRs that lenders allow on student accomodation are usually low meaning you have to more capital to put into the deal and considering this being your first deal, might not be the best solution for you.

Investor Finance
    [email protected]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.