All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice Needed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of steveaddosteveaddo
    @steveaddo

I am sharing a unit with another person whom has not renewed the lease for over 24 months. We had a disagreement and the my flatmate has given me one months notice to move out. He is demanding I pay rent each week until the move date, however, I need the money to move out as I had previously advised my flatmate that I could move out in the second week of October 2006. I intend to pay the rent which will amount to $500 when the month has expired and I have to move out. My flatmate is now threatening me with eviction (immediately) if I do not pay two weeks rent $250 today. Can anybody advise or offer legal opinion? I appreciate any help or advice in this matter

Profile photo of moroccomorocco
    @morocco

It must be terrible living there in that sort of circumstance!
    Is there any way you can move in witha friend for a few weeks till you find your feet.

sorry to hear of your situation.[thumbsdownanim

Profile photo of Simon CSimon C
    Participant
    @simon-c

Hi Steveaddo

Sorry to hear about the awkward situation. As your flatmate has not renewed the lease, the lease is most likely what is referred to as a “periodic” lease.

Try checking out some information about your rights at the Office Of Fair Trade web site:

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/realestaterenting/tenantslandlords.html

If you are not in the lease, it may get tricky if your flat mate did not have permission to have another person on the unit in the first place.

What I’d also suggest is you call them tomorrow to discuss you situation on 9895 0111. They should be able to give you some information.

Honestly sound like the best thing to do is get the hell out, which is what I’d be doing! Not sure what options you have!

All the best

Cheers
    Simon C

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.