All Topics / Help Needed! / Building a House – Costs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of dammitdammit
    @dammit

Hi all
    I am wondering if anyone who has built a home could give me an idea on the costs involved:

I am considering buying a block of land which is $104,000 (1090m2) in regional NSW. It seems to be relatively level. I understand that it would probably be a good idea to get a soil test? on the site prior to buying it?

What site-related costs are there for building? Obviously the more slope a block has it will require excavation to make it flat before it can be built on?

Then I am looking at project homes such as Beechwood Homes which seem to be relatively cheap, They list the “Birchgrove” price starting from around $118,000. http://www.beechwoodhomes.com.au

When you see a price like this, does this include all parts of building the house like plumbing, electricals etc or do you need to organise this separately?? What do they usually include? Carpet/tiling? Clothes Line? or would this just be a ‘bare bones’ type price?

Because if that includes most things it would be:
    104,000+
    =$222,000 for a new home.

How much more should I budget for to get the house in a livable condition (I would think stuff like turf/gardens/clothes line/etc??)

Any in depth ideas on the fees /costs for buying the land, site costs?, then the house building costs would be appreciated

Thought I would try and do some research before I travel to the display homes which are a considerable distance away.

Thanks for your help :)

Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Hola.

You should take a look in the Value Adding forum on this site. There are a couple strings in there re. building costs. One was started by me. You can find it here: <https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/24626.html&gt;

Art

‘Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.’ – Albert Einstein

Profile photo of ozsparky200319117ozsparky200319117
    @ozsparky200319117

Hi Dammit

That would be the base price for the house and you would need to add on the site costs, landscaping, driveway, fencing, carpets, blinds etc – say another $50,000 or so depending on the site. Have you researched the cost of completed houses in the region? What are the prospects for the area? You can ask the builder to give you a quote on the site – check whether the prices on the spec homes include the area you are building there might be a premium if you are building out of their area. Also as the block is so big can you build a duplex or units? Eagle homes are very reasonable and also have a comprehensive range of duplex designs which start at reasonable prices.

If you let people know the area you can probably get more help!

Sparky

Profile photo of dammitdammit
    @dammit

The town is Goulburn NSW, there are a few project home builders operating in the area- Beechwood Homes, Huxley Homes, Eagle Homes, Allworth homes is about all I think.

I have looked at the cost of brand new houses in the town, there are some 4brm DLUG/ens for $295,000, & Huxley homes was recently advertising house&land 3brm ens in a new estate for $240,000.

I am trying to do the sums on a new vs established home, you can get a basic 3brm established home in a good area for about 260k, but I don’t think it will be possible to build for that $ if the land is 100k once you take the site costs into account.

With the site costs, does anyone know roughly what it costs to go from a vacant block of land to getting the site ready for the slab to be poured? I spose it depends how level the block is to begin with, but do they need to put piping/sewerage etc to a different spot? Any books or resources/sites anyone knows for building a home with FAQ’s / tips etc would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help!!

Profile photo of tammytammy
    @tammy

Hi There,
    We are currently using a project home builder. As opposed to the previous house we built with a local builder, this one is from the roof to the slab. That is, no concrete driveway, patio, front landing, paths etc, no clothesline, no floor coverings (except wet areas), and obviously no window dressings or landscapping, and standard inclusions only. Our site only has a 700mm fall from one side to the other but on top of the build costs the site costs were about 15K (this includes site preparation, and linking into water, power services etc). Then there are the new basix charges (water tanks, extra insulation etc). If you have a sloping site or poor foundation material your site costs will increase (our plan is about 32squares). Dont forget that the project home builders who can sell directly dont need to make a great deal off each job as they have so many going. So your build cost may actually be closer to their sell price than you realise. If you check out thier home pages, you should find a list of inculsions listed for each plan.
    Good luck and hope this helped a little.
    T

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.