All Topics / Help Needed! / Sherlock Holmes required

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of PersiusPersius
    @persius

Hello to all

I’ve found a derelict house in Melbourne which I’d like to buy and do up for my family. I’ve:
    done a title search to find the owner;
    checked on the electoral role as to their last address (turns out to be the same as the derelict house);
    checked white pages for any listing of the person (called those with same initial and surname – no result); and
    talked to neighbours – house has been empty so long no one knows anything.

Has anyone tried tracking down someone like this before, how did you do it, what advice can you provide. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Persius

Persius

Profile photo of reelygood1reelygood1
    Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi,
    I would be sniffing for any putrid smells, which explain where the owner is.
    No seriously, I would check the council for rate notice and if they are being paid, someone must be collecting mail, try the local post office for clues.

Don

djr

Profile photo of wineloverwinelover
    @winelover

Perhaps you ccould try something as simple as leaving a letter in their letterbox for them to contact you.

Good luck
    winelover

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello

The rates notice could be just being sent to another address.

By all means try leaving a note in the letter box but it seems unlikely that they are emptying it otherwise the next door neighbours would have noticed.

You could try asking at the post office or at the council for an address. I don’t expect that you will get it but maybe if you bring a pre stamped letter (and a bottle of wine? [wink] ) you may be able to persuade some nice person at the council to address and post it to the same place that they are sending the rates notices.

No infringment of privacy that way I think.

Let us know if it worked please.

Good luck [smiling]
    Elka

Profile photo of PersiusPersius
    @persius

Thanks Don, Winelover, and Elka

Appreciate your taking the time to reply. Should have mentioned, have tried leaving a letter – no result, have tried the council re the rates notice and now know that they are very strict about privacy legislation. Will give the post office a try to see if they are forwarding mail or holding it for anyone.

BTW, didn’t notice any untoward smells Don so reasonably sure that the owner is not still on (or should that be in) the premises.[

Will keep you updated as to my progress and what, if anything, works in tracking the mysterious owner down.

Kind regards

Persius
    [exhappy]

Persius

Profile photo of Investment DetectiveInvestment Detective
    @investment-detective

Hi

My first stop would be the local realestate agents, tell them your interest and can they find out who the owner is, get them to do the work for you.

Next stop would be either a solicitor to do a title search or you can go directly to the lands department and do it yourself. Not sure how much information you can get, but it could provide the owners name.

Regards

Philip Batey

Investment Detective
    The best way to crunch the numbers and manage your portfolios
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/resources/24.html

Profile photo of oshenoshen
    @oshen

You can do a title search yourself from this site:

http://www.confirm.com.au/citecConfirm/index.shtml

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi
    there is an easy and relatively simple way of doing it but it depends if you want to go that far.
    send thru the local court that you have been injured on there property and that you have a liquidated claim.
    gets theowner moving and if they are there or someone is looking after the place they will get in touch.
    if the are dead then you will get a judgement.
    its relatively cheap if you do it your self.
    oh and the court only send it to the owner or the owners address so it doesn’t take long.
    do remember that if the owner had no intention to sell you just p

them off so be ready for that but if you have a thick skin you won’t worry

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]
    currently looking for up front money at 15% p/a pm me if you wish

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Persius

I’m not sure if my post was clear.

When you were talking with the people at the council did you actually ask them if they would be prepared to post a letter for you to the address where they send the rates notices?

I mean that doesn’t violate anyones privacy does it? It’s not like you are asking them to give you the address.

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of PersiusPersius
    @persius

Hello to you Elka, grossrealisation, Philip, et al

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I had mistaken what you said in the previous message Elka, I will try forwarding a letter to the owner through the rates section.

Will see how this goes and then follow up. Will let you know via this post how I go.

Kind regards

Persius

Persius

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.