All Topics / Help Needed! / stamp duty on buyout of joint venture property

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of michelle34michelle34
    @michelle34

Hi There

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid having to pay stamp duty on the buyout of a joint venture property? seems ridiculous to have to pay stamp duty twice on the same property? (this is in victoria).
    many thanks
    M.

Profile photo of roodogroodog
    @roodog

Hi

I am no expert but I am going through the same thing at the moment (W.A). As far as I can find out there is no legal way around it but you can minimise it by keeping the value (on paper) of the property as low as possible. I guess you have to remember that you should have only paid half in the first place because your partner (JV) should have had the other half. You will also only have to pay it on the half you are buying. I guess the only people who do well out of SD is the government as usual, it kind of feels like they are double dipping then they will charge your partner CG tax!. Not bad for a days work and they didn’t even have to leave the office [grrr].

I paid my half out on the value we bought it for and may just give my partner his profit as say an early Christmas present [wink2]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by michelle34:

Hi There

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid having to pay stamp duty on the buyout of a joint venture property? seems ridiculous to have to pay stamp duty twice on the same property? (this is in victoria).
    many thanks
    M.

Roodog has pointed out you would not be paying stamp duty twice, just once on your share in the begining and again on the remainder when buying them out.

How have you owned the property? Trust or company? if so there may be ways around it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.