All Topics / General Property / Seeking a builders &/or developers advice pls

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of HappyHomesHappyHomes
    Participant
    @impatient

I wonder if there is a builder or developers that could give me their opinion on these qu’s pls:
    1) Is there any reason it would be beneficial for a builder to decide to work for a developer as an EMPLOYEE, rather than woking for themselves?
    2) If so, what would be an award wage for a fully qualified builder?
    3) Any comments or suggestions on hiring a fully qual’d builder to work for you, as an employee?
    I am wondering if it will work out cheaper and more time & cost effective to do so.
    Thanks in advance.

HappyHomes | HappyHomes
    Email Me

Profile photo of swerveswerve
    Participant
    @swerve

I know a builder mate (i am a builder) who periodically works for a developer in Sydneys eastern suburbs. He receives $45 per hour. He is not using his license. The developer looks after the insurances. The advantages my mate has are
    1. He knows he will be paid
    2. It is 6 months of fulltime pay without too many hassles eg versus doing large amounts of unpaid work such as quotes, paperwork etc.
    3. Work is close to home.

Disadvantages –
    1. He does not earn a profit margin.
    2. He alienates other regulars – he is not too worried about this as there is heaps of work.

I would say it is advantageous for a developer to hire a builder as they have enormous experience in construction and people management leaving the developer to worry about managing other things like cashflow, real estate agents, solicitors, accountants, accounts, contractors payments and council.

Hope this helps. [strum]

Profile photo of learnsharelearnshare
    @learnshare

Hi Swerve,

Just for my future reference. Are you from Sydney. If yes, which area do you live in? And would you cater for a residential reno or development job yourself?

thanks,
    herman

Profile photo of lyndon_glyndon_g
    @lyndon_g

Registered builders that use their ticket/registration for a building company as an employee can earn around 150k pa..or even more. Having said this..they do have a heap of responsibility and put in endless hours.. but they pay is excellent.

To start out on your own means a massive outlay of capital..very high risk.. higher stress!

You also need huge assets in order to get a high level of indemnity insurance..which pretty much governs the amount of homes you can build per year…which in turn governs how much you earn!

Many building companies start with a solid financial backing etc.

cheers
    Lyndon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.