All Topics / Value Adding / Building costs. Anyone got a rule of thumb?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Hello all.

I posted this in the Help Needed section but I think this section might be more suitable.

I’m investigating in a title near Newcastle, NSW with a view to future development.

I know in WA there is a rough rule of thumb that building costs are about $1,000/m2. Can anyone give me a similar rule of thumb for NSW (Newcastle if pos.)?

Also, would anyone care to share their experiences (good or otherwise) with builders in the Newcastle area?

Cheers,

‘Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.’ – Albert Einstein

Profile photo of 1HotValuer1HotValuer
    Participant
    @1hotvaluer

Rule of thumb for NSW is $1200/m2 for brick veneer dwellings. Project homes are around $800/m2.
    We use these rates to determine costs of new constructions. Some builders do vary so just use this as a rule of thumb.
    Full brick rates are about $1500/m2.

Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Thankyou 1HV.

Art

‘Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.’ – Albert Einstein

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Hi Artaud

Live in Newcastle and doing 2 residential and a commercial developments in the suburbs of Merewether and Wallsend.

Residential is around $1000 per sq m. includes fees, the NCC BASIX and the new 2005 DCP stormwater requirements but excludes the usual floor coverings, window coverings, light fittings, driveway and landscaping..

I’m using a smaller company called Excellence. For a little more they will do a full turn key. However, like all builders you really have to watch their admin.

Project builders prices are pitched to be lower but leave out the site costs, fees BASIX which bring them up to the same as a custom (albeit basic). Not only that but from my experience (specifically Masterton) they will screw you on every item given the chance…..

For what this is worth, while living in Perth 6 yrs ago we built 2 houses in Newcastle using Mcdonald Jones. The tyranny of distance was problematic and just ment things took longer than they should have. It would have to be easier and faster to do something closer to home.

Good luck

Regards

Tony

Profile photo of ArtaudArtaud
    Participant
    @artaud

Cheers for that Tony.

I’ve PMd you re future questions.

Thanks,
    Art

Profile photo of RVPRVP
    @rvp

Thanks this is good info for me aswell

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob
    Profile photo of Bricks and MorterBricks and Morter
    Participant
    @bricks-and-morter
    Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

Check this link ,  A quick calculator and a more detailed one.

Building Cost Calculator By Postcode

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I have just had a quote for getting an extension on my house from admittedly probably the best quality builder in the state.  The quote?  $3000 – $4000 per square metre!!

Cheers

K

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.