All Topics / General Property / Advice Requested: Small Rooms, Internal Bathroom

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of parismyloveparismylove
    @parismylove

Hi All

I am new to the property game and looking for my first property (owner occupier).

I have found something I think is at a reasonable price.

A few things are bothering me though and I would appreciate advice from those more experienced.

Each bedrom is quite small (7sqm and 5.6sqm). One will be used for a study. Am I being unrealistic about making good use of these rooms, are they too small to the point of affecting my own liveability, rental returns in future, resale returns in future?

The bathroom is an internal bathroom – no windows. It has some sort of small extractor fan that doesnt seem to be working. Do internal bathrooms cause problems over the long term in terms of moisture? Are there any ventilation options that can be added.

One final question, the unit has a very small outside area with plants. Is there anything creative that can be done with this space. I thought of putting grass and a table and chair.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Paris

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

5.6sqm is pretty tiny. I’m presuming both rooms have built-ins?
    Seems to me that you think the rooms are pretty small. Future buyers and renters will no doubt have the same misgivings.
    Internal bathrooms can be fine (but not ideal) if the exhasut fan works okay. They still get a bit clammy if there is more than one person using them i.e. if there are several showers per day happening in them. Most hotel bathrooms are internal.

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Grass = Lawnmower

Is there storage for it?

Paving is a good idea with pot plants. Do them in two layers with taller plants against the wall and smaller ones in front for an effective look. Run some drip lines along them with a timer for an easy care courtyard.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of parismyloveparismylove
    @parismylove

Hi

Thanks for the replies and pointing out some valuable points.

Quick follow up questions.

– I am thinking of maybe removing the wall between the bedrooms (they are next to each other). I don’t think it is a supporting wall – for a smallish wall does anyone know ball park figures for this?

– Is it better having a well designed 1 bedder or a poorly designed 2 bedder?

thanks again

Paris

Profile photo of marsdenmarsden
    @marsden

Keep it as a 2 bedder which is always more valuable than a single even though small. Sounds like a unit/townhouse which may make it difficult when you start knocking out walls, you may need Body Corporate and council approval. If the price is right it may just be a good way to start……learn to live small until the next one!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.