All Topics / Value Adding / The costs of sub-dividing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Karl and RitaKarl and Rita
    @karl-and-rita

Hi,

We were just wondering the cost of sub-dividing a block.

We are on a 1012 m2 block with 2 street access. We want to sub-divide and maybe sell or build. Does anyone know how much a typical sub-division costs? We are in Ipswich, QLD.

Cheers,

K&R

K&R

You can dream, so dream out loud. – Bono (Acrobat)

Profile photo of Time MattersTime Matters
    @time-matters

Hi,

My understanding is that in Qld all this goes through your local council – I would suggest that is the first place to start. As they will be able to tell you if the planning overlays that apply to your property allow for subdivision. From there they should be able to advise you as to what you need to supply to them to apply for and acheive a Planning Permit – from here you can then contact a private planner /engineer who should be able to provide advice and an estimate of costs involved.

hope this helps.

Sue
    Time Matters

Profile photo of Simon CSimon C
    Participant
    @simon-c

Hi Karl and Rita

Ironically I am looking at the same same process also in North Ipswich with an exact same size corner block.

Your first step is to contact Ipswich City Council and discuss with a planner for you area. They will tell you if your block is subdivideable and also give you some idea on the ease based on where the sewerage is on the block and any additional requirements coucil will have. Generally they will permit blocks as small as 445sqm one a subdivision has occured, and they are quite keen to encourge to detract away from urban sprawl.

I can tell you first hand they are very helpful and appear to be a somewhat fast moving council. My block was given approval within a week of the submission. Sure, that is only the start, but a good sign. We are intending to either sell the land off , relocation a home on it, or even build. The area the block is in is not restricted to character homes or have any real limitations due to mining in the area etc, so there is good opportunity to profit.

Have a look on the web site at http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au .Its one of the best council web sites I have come across as far as information is concerned.

If you have a look at the Online Planning and Development syster, you will be able to look up your block. I looked up my block and the block across the road (which has been subdivided and built on two years ago) and discovered the UCV total of the two blocks was 160% of my block! This by splitting the block into one of 558sqm and the other 454sqm. This was all before I out in an offer

There are a few options you have. I intend to cost the three processes and then decide which is the best option. I like the house relocation, but it can become quite costly, however I am hoping to achieve this for less than building.

Good luck what ever you decide, and please keep in contact if you are intending to go ahead in the next few month. We can possible learn from each other.

Cheers
    Simon

Profile photo of jtwjtw
    @jtw

Karl & Rita
    I am just in the process of subdividing a block (3) in an area near you. There isn’t and way that anyone can give you a firm figure. It depends on so many factors.

In my instance I have spent $2500 on townplanner for initial work and application, $1500 for engineer, $900 for council fees, $300 for public advertising & signage. I have still more to spend, headworks contribution $7000, solicitor $1200, stamp duty $?, Title Reg$?, GST at the end. In the meantime I have about $75000 to spend on water connection,roadworks,power & phone.

Make sure you do your sums, but go see a town planner/surveyor first and get a heads up. Professional advice is cheap really.

JTW

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.