All Topics / General Property / Sour grapes..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

What would you do with millions of grapes sitting on the vine?

In Mildura and surrounding district.

I’m taking a break and inbetween moving to my next destination.

And been chatting to the locals seems there is one big problem with grapes. And a few sour grapes amounst them I would say with the position the agricultural system is in.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Now lets see if I remember this one.

Set up a unit trust, charge entry fee and w/off 85% as tax deductible management fee. use funds to buy land put in vines irrigation sheds and equipment. take out all that’s left so the U/Trust goes broke, and then buy back the assets from a friendly “administrator”

Yep that’s it i think, oh yeah forgot, now ask fed govt for a tax paid buy back to help you leave industry.

Then onto the next scam.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

What is going to happen with the grapes hanging on the vine in Mildura?

Profile photo of kiwiduvetkiwiduvet
    @kiwiduvet

Feed them to the cows[baaa]

when the going gets weird the weird turn pro

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Feed them to the cows – then a baaaaaaa! sign. Isn’t that sheep.

The cows would walk around drunk though, I bet they like em though.

Maybee they give them to the Aboriginal race amounst us and they get them as land rights sounds fair to me, then they could experiment with making some nice wines flaggons for us to sample.

@gmh454

Can I ask your involvement with Grapes, investor, farmer, observer.

Don’t want to say too much if it may touch a nerve.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Yep got to be carefull with what you say.

No – None of the above – Probably an observer if anything but just gossiping and interested in what the locals have told me about the local grape arguments and the repercussions going on in the industry.

And to see what others think of how thier going to solve it and what thier opinions are!

Does this help as an investor I guess it could but I have none or don’t envisage investing in anything to do with grape.

Might invest in a good bottle of wine.

But just have an interest and want to learn about whats going on in the community that I’m visiting.

@gmh454

Thanks Jaff I have a couple of clients who bought into the tax effective unit trusts being flogged around in the last ten years.

Told em I had seen em all.
    mango, macadamian, pine trees, emus, ostriches, crayfish, crockodiles, olives, tea tree oil etc and they all give back a tax break but never make enough money to get back to square one.

But the financial planner says,

“hey they are great.. bought into two myslef ….more red wine..have you tried the lobster “

Anyway they pretty well flushed their dough, but the scenario above actually played out. The promoter after taking the investment as a management fee, bought the whole thing back for 3c in the $$.

Don’t know what will happen but kind of shows how poorly thought out and policed govt handouts can screw the free market.

Could say something about home owner grants, but not her and now.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Seems you know quiet a lot about it! The finance and diplomatic side of it confuses me a bit.

I was fascinated with what they’re going to do with the grapes.

My cooking years tell that you serve up “red wine” with “red meat” , and white wine with white meat.

I have not tried lobster but just quietly in the next couple weeks they be on the bite again. Don’t want to disturb the mothers carrying eggs A.T.M. Then might drop down to the bank and see if I can catch me a bit of local cuisine

Then might get to try my first lobster. I believe your referring to the Murray Fresh Water Cray.

Profile photo of bob the workerbob the worker
    Participant
    @bob-the-worker

Not much anyone can do about the grape glut. I feel sorry for the ones who have been in it for years, it’s a great industry.

I don’t feel sorry for the ones who got in in the last few years, anyone could see what was going to happen.

As for the Managed investment Schemes, that is one huge bubble that is about to burst. I urge everyone to be carefull here. It is all about tax evasion, not rural investment, and what is happening to genuine rural towns and industries is a tragedy. Farmers have to make a profit, but these stupid schemes don’t care about profit, it’s all about tax evasion and the wealthy city investors will soon not have a tax problem if they are in these schemes. The farmers now are being blown out of the market by these tax evasion schemes. Oversupply because profit doesn’t matter, just tax. and greed.

Watch what happens next. It will just take a pen stroke and change of legeslation from some polititions to fix things. It’s out of control now, but not for much longer.

Good luck.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Apparently a lot of farmer is living below the poverty line.

The market is oversupplied and that seems to me because some other smaller farms have being effected by the drought have been able to be overtaken by larger companies buying in and planting great acreage of grapes.

One theory that I thought was clever is how they can put the grape to sleep for a year or so maybe it’s longer, but this might just put a blanket on the problem.

It’s these larger companies coming in and buying out other areas of farming and turning them in grape growing districts that is making the oversupply. Plus they are getting a fair slice of resale’s because their running cheaper because larger etc and the savings past down.

Lot of farmers is under contract and even though they got grapes on the vine can’t sell them to anyone else. So there thinking put the vine in a dormant state for a year and the grape preserves on the vine then.

I’m only generalising on what local’s tell me though.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Mildura gets 12 inchs of rain a year.

I been here for a month and a half now and it’s been sunny just nearly every day you can relly on it being sunny nice sunny days every morning.

Just from out of the blue been three days of rain. That’s filled the puddles up.

They got 25ml in the last few days that’s great for the wheat.

Look out when they get a bit of sun now they will go like mad.

Variety of free comprehensive property analysis calculators and feasability programs.
    Developers Renovators Spreadsheets Positive Cashflow Home Owners
    Lending Money Joint Ventures Five Star Checklist Subscription

Learn about a current 91 Unit development near Sydney International Airport and there all Positive Cash Flow, 43M resale values, 25/06/2006.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.