All Topics / Help Needed! / DIY Conveyancing in PERTH

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of editboxeditbox
    @editbox

hello all,

i’m selling a property privately to my brother and we would like to do all the conveyancing ourselves. i would have thought that it is mainly document shuffling, however my early research including sounding out licensed brokers into the matter has me thinking its some dark murky science.

has anybody in PERTH been through the experience? would appreciate any advice on proceedure.

i’m quite prepared to run around and spend time on it in order to save well over $1800 between the two of us.

cheers.

EB

Profile photo of HousemenderHousemender
    @housemender

Hi Editbox

Conveyancing can be easy, provided it is a simple straighforward one. The difficulties start if obstacles arise which takes the matter off the nice simple straighforward track onto a long, windy uphill one!!! There are many old posts on this site where even with a lawyer things can be difficult.

I do my own conveyancing but I’m a lawyer myself – but am NOT a property lawyer so am far from being an expert. However when I run into obstacles I do have a network of buddies to run to!

It is possible to conduct all your own searches, but frankly I don’t know if you will save much as conveyancers and lawyers have online searching systems now which make the whole searching process fairly cheap and easy. I wouldn’t advise tackling anything like the Transfer of Land or Settlement Statement/Statement of Adjustments yourself unless you really do know what you’re doing.

Personally I’d say doing it yourself is just not worth the risk or hassle – and it is hassle believe me!

However, if you really do want to play a part in it and so some running around/phone calls then ask your conveyancer/lawyer if you can do the title search and utilities searches yourself and forward them on to them. Good luck! Send me a PM if you’d like to discuss further – although I’m in Vic so laws slightly different.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.