All Topics / Value Adding / Tiling costs

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of Johnny123Johnny123
    @johnny123

NATS12 id like to see you tile, there is no way u can learn everything in a 2 day course. you need the proper training and exp. get a dodgy know-it-all to tile a bathroom and you'll be ripping it out a week later costing you 3 times the cost to redo. if its tiling the simple flat surfaced floor for bedrooms/kitchen etc.. fair enough its a great way to to save money and do it yourself as its straight forward. but bathrooms there must be a screed of sand/cement approx. 30mm thick which directs all the water to the floor wastes. get that wrong and your bathroom becomes a safety hazard as there will be puddles of water  around your bathroom. you say why a tiler shouldn't get paid $50 an hour? thats a good deal rather then say paying him $20-$40per m2, he can easily lay more than 4m2 in a hour. i think u should discuss again with ur so called "self taught tiler friend" that a good tiler can easily make over 100k a year.

jebro that jobs maybe worth 600 to 800 dollars but most tilers would give you a ridiculous price as it might not be worth their time. shop around and u might be able to find a tiler willing.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

nats12 have you tryed tiling before? you get sore knees and the work soxs and you also get cuts all over your hands, so $50 per hour is chump change, and so is a turn over of $100k a year.

Jebro, give it a go as 6.3m is not much, you may want to wear gloves and also you may want to buy an electric tile cutter, they work better than angle grinders. you can google how to tile and you will find free video footage, it will save you buying a book 

Profile photo of madelizabethanmadelizabethan
    @madelizabethan

Jebro, it's what they call in the trade an "Eff-off figure" (had to censor that… you get my drift!). They throw a silly figure at you for a small job like that on the basis that they're only prepared to do it if you're silly enough to pay it.

Thankfully, you're not silly! Good on you for having a go at doing it yourself.

Here's a good tip from our builder: On walls, use the "ripple white" tiles instead of the really flat smooth ones, because the slightly uneven surface will hide any wonkiness in both the walls underneath, and in your work.

Profile photo of voussoirvoussoir
    @voussoir

At $50 and hour, that is eqivalent to an income of $100k a year.

This is why I left the building industry.

Take out:
    GST
    accountant
    superannuation
    workers compensation
    tools
    quotation time incl lost quotes
    vehicle expenses
    public liability insurance
    holiday pay
    mobile phone bill

46 weeks a year for a standard wages job

Some fo these jobs your "contracted" for 2 or 3 days.  Imagine contemplating your wages job every 3 days.

After doing a 5 year apprenticeship there's easier less stressful ways to make money.  All you have to worry about is what your goin to make for dinner.  I have so much energy now I save the money working on my own house after work.

People haven't a clue of the costs of running a "business" and mistake gross revenue with wages.

I was never a tiler but as a tradie I've seen people calculate in their heads with great inaccuracy the best case scenario which is far from reality.

ps. Make sure you achieve Australian standards or you could be spending $10000 in lawyers fees defending a crap job when you sell the house. 

Enjoy your tiling.
    Apprenticeship anyone?  Youll earn a $100000 a year.

Profile photo of financial_freedomfinancial_freedom
    @financial_freedom

nats post is like from 4 years ago people!!!! Im sure she is a pro by now!!

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.