All Topics / Value Adding / Tiling costs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of jebrojebro
    @jebro

Has anyone any guidance for tiling costs? We are in Perth and it seems that tiling has overtaken plumbing in terms of expense.
    We have 6.3 sq metres of floor tiles for a bathroom and toilet reno. First quote was $1000. Latest was $3000. I’m still picking myself up off the floor after getting that one. Now where was that tiling video I got from Bunnings?

jebro

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

Hate to upset you, but last year in Vic I paid $30 pm and thought I overpaid, even your $1,000 quote works out at $158 pm.

Fern

Profile photo of tinkertinker
    Participant
    @tinker

Hi Jebro
    I agree with Fern – we are currently building a new house in QLD and we are being charged $33/m for the tiling. Hope this helps.
    Annabel

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

6.3m2? That’s about an afternoon’s work, tea-break and tile-cutting included! Give it a shot. Hint: get yourself a 4″ angle grinder and a diamond cutting blade.
    Cheers, F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of jebrojebro
    @jebro

Hi Fern and Annabel,

Thanks very much for your info on tiling prices elsewhere. I had been expecting those sort of rates, you mentioned, tho’ maybe a bit more because of the acute shortage of skilled tradespeople in Perth at present (especially tilers it would seem)
    Maybe other Perthites are paying these sorts of rates, I don’t know.
    The tiles cost $350, normal everyday sort of tiles suitable for wet areas.
    I’m still gobsmacked at the $3000 quote.

Thanks guys

jebro

@jebro

Hi Foundation,

Thanks. Yep, I’ve advised husband that we will be doing just that. I think he was resigned to us doing it for oureselves, after getting multiple knockbacks from tilers who are mostly “too busy”. Many not taking on any new work especially fiddly small jobs like ours and those that are, are charging heaps.

Thanks for the advice on which size angle grinder to hire.

jebro

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

I taught myself to tile a few years ago after watching a professional, getting a book and watching that video from Bunnings. Its not hard but very slow at first. A grinder is good for cutting and DTA have some great tools (from Bunnings) which may set you back $200 at first, but then you’ve got them for life. Make sure you seal, waterproof and prepare the area first. This may require putting down 10mm fibre cement sheeting.
    You’ll be so proud of the end result I’m sure, even if you do have sore knees !!

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

@jebro

Hi Amanda,
    Well I think I am actually now looking forward to giving this a go and will benefit from learning a new skill as well as hopefully being pleased with the eventual outcome.
    Happy to go slow and steady for the first one. Am trying to find my son’s old knee pads that he had for his skateboard.

Thanks for the encouragement and tips[biggrin]

jebro

Profile photo of sam8sam8
    @sam8

honestly its not that hard to do. i done my dads bathroom in one long day but we saved 2 thousand, there is great books on how to tile a bath room, make it a fun learning experience and a book only coast $20, make sure you have a level #1
    good luck.[exhappy]

@jebro

Thanks Sam8,
    We will be starting this week-end. I’ve given the job of taking the toilet out, to my husband. We’ve got a level. Little bit worried about the bathroom area to get water flowing towards the drain pipe. Currently it flows away from the drain and floods the towel storage area. So I guess we can only improve things ! ?[blush2]

jebro

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

Have you thought about alternatives to tiling such as the new style lino.

amtico.com.au is one website to try

Only stupid people don’t ask questions

Profile photo of Time MattersTime Matters
    @time-matters

Highly recommend Bunning DIY weekend workshops. We also found asking ‘how to’ at the tile factory outlet we received great advice and then just did it ourselves. Saved heeps, but don’t forget to water proof – that’s the expensive bit but very easy to do.

Time Matters[biggrin]

Profile photo of nedkellynedkelly
    @nedkelly

Just getting some tiling done in Perth. Cost $34 per square metre for 50 sqmetres. Tiler booked through tile shop. I thought that was expensive!!!

ned kelly

@jebro

Thanks timematters and ned,
    We were given a list of tilers from where we purchased the tiles and none of them were interested in our job. Tried a couple of word of mouth recommended guys too.
    I’ve signed up for the tiling course at Homebase. Good to know I will be able to earn much more as a tiler than in my other job.

Cheers

jebro

Profile photo of Mel07Mel07
    @mel07

I’m in Sydney and just recently got a quote to re-tile a bathroom. Floor 4 square and wall 12 square with total quote at $1760. I thought this was fabulous as I was expecting to pay up to $3000. Tiler quoted by the hour at $50.

Cheers
    M07

Profile photo of NATS12NATS12
    @nats12

why should a tiler get paid $50 an hour. it shouldn’t be more than $35 an hour.

At $50 and hour, that is eqivalent to an income of $100k a year. Should a tiler be earning $100k a year when you can go and do a weekend course and have a bit of home training (walls first so nobody notices they’re not flat). That shouldn’t get you $50 an hour.

I know a self-trained tiler. I have discussed this exact thing with him and he says $35 a square metre should be around the mark.

Profile photo of mopsyblossommopsyblossom
    @mopsyblossom

Just paid $3,220.00 including tiles to tile a complete 3 bedroom house including full length front patio and small back patio.
    In Redcliffe Qld.

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

$35/mtr is thru the tile shop. Same guy for cash did the job for $25/mtr.

Last one I did myself it was 3 1/2 sqm small bathroom floor.

Problem was it was lino, then lino then 1973 newspapers that had stuck to the timber. Removed and puttied up the floor then 2 days to wet area seal properly and let it cure overnight then with my diamond blade making easy work of it did the tiling in a day. Preparation is required prior to just laying tiles. A wet area needs sealing and if you remove old tiles its always best to loose a day membrane sealing than to do the whole job later due to a leak.

Good Luck.

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

@jebro

Hey DD,

That is a great tip to remember about jobs paid for in cash. 30% less not a bad deal!

Love those diamond blades

Cheers

jebro

Profile photo of RavtownRavtown
    @ravtown

Hi Guys,

For those of you offering per sq metre cost estimates.

Is this labour only ?
    Or does it include materials such as grout and sealing products?

cheers

Rav

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.