All Topics / Help Needed! / A BIG Tree!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Hi Everyone,
    Im looking to purchase my next IP. There is one potential that has a big (15m Im guessing) gum tree in the front yard. It is very close to the house, so my preference would be to remove it before damage can be caused by the roots.

Im guessing the tree is about 20 years old and am wondering if Im going to face resistance in getting it removed.

Im only looking to buy at the moment, is there anything I can do prior to purchase to confirm whether I will have any problems in removing it?

Thanks
    Mat
    PS Its not in one of those areas where its hiding nice views or anything!

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Hello Mat
    A couple of years ago I removed a big gum from one of my properties in Melbourne and didn’t even think to worry about this. I didn’t ask anyone but just had it done. I didn’t get any complaints.

It cost me around $800 including drilling out the roots.

Cheers
    Elka

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

You may very well need to get council approval. Which may only be forthcoming if the tree is dangerous.

Best to check if this is a deal breaker for you.

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Hi Matt

Check if the council has a heritage tree issue. Go to their website and check under development for their rules.

If no issue with council, then you should have no trouble removing it.

If council consideres it a heritage tree, then check if they will let you remove it since it seems to be affecting the foundations and what you need to do to get approval to remove it. You might want to consult a tree surgeon or similar who is familiar with your area and council regulations as they may be able to find another good reason for its removal (like public safety).

Mum

Profile photo of mathewc73mathewc73
    Participant
    @mathewc73

Thankyou for your replies. I will follow up with council and yep, a tree lopper if I chose to purchase.

Thanks
    Mat

Profile photo of swerveswerve
    Participant
    @swerve

Removal of trees in close proximity to structures eg house, brick fencing etc can increase movement/cracking levels. The theroy is the large tree whilst alive is sucking up a certain volume of water. But if it is killed off water is reintroduced into the soil increasing the soils volume and lifting the house. Be careful. I would ask a structural engineer for advice prior to proceeding.

Good luck

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

If you keep the tree you will be always wondering every time there is a storm as to whether the house will have a newly created skylight installed by a falling tree branch. It is costly to remove trees but the peace of mind is well worth it.

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

I purchased a house with two enormous gumtrees out the front. Approx 20mts high and huge branches out into the street. I was worried about branches dropping onto neighbours car roof. Rang the council and to my amazement they couldnt of cared less (in one of the stricter councils too) Said if they were on my property and particularly gumtrees they had no jurisdiction. Another in the backyard had huge branches over neighbours two storey house and I was worried about her reaction thinking she might like the shade in summer, but she was extatic(?) as she was having a stroke anytime there was a big wind or storm. The amount of wood these made when felled and cut up was incredible, as was the root base which we kept having to have a stump muncher over anytime we wanted to relay water electricity etc. but as you are keeping the house I would find out what possible reaction there would be with big roots rotting over time and if the house is likely to drop etc.m

Fern

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.