All Topics / Help Needed! / Find out who owns a block and their contact detail

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Hi guys,

While out checking a potential development opportunity the other night, I noticed that the residence next door was abandoned, run down and perfect for a multi dwelling development. This site interests me as it may be an opportunity to buy under market value.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could find who the owner of this property is?

Things I’ve already exhausted are:

• Had a quick look at the letterbox which was overflowing, the newspapers in it are backdated to some 2-3 months ago. There were also a hoarde of real estate agents cards dropping out of the box, so the whole “Write them a letter” idea is out the window
    • Looked at doing a title search, however this only gives you a persons first and last name, then I’d have to ring every “John Smith” in the phone book to find out if its them

Open to suggestions here guys, if the latter is my only option then it looks like I may be spending some significant time on the phone.

Looking forward to your super creative responses, thanks in advance.

Dave.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

RP Data dependant on the area you are referring to.

I use it all the time.

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    **NODOC loans from 7.14%**
    Licensed Financial Planner
    http://www.yourstatefinance.com
    [email protected]
    Ph: 07-3720 1888

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Hi Richard,

Does RP Data allow you to access contact details for a properties
    owner?

Ah, just noticed that its only available for NSW/QLD properties, I’m in VIC so its not an option through RP DATA.

Any ideas why? Any alternatives anyone can suggest?

Cheers

D.

Profile photo of AgaveAgave
    Participant
    @agave

I speak to Council and do thier searches for a small fee. Mind u, last one I did I only got the name and the address of the property I was checking. My partner suggested I write a letter and post it as they probably had a redirection service.

Turns out they did and they got my letter and they called me.

Unfortunately all down hill from there, but you never know unless you try.

Good luck with it. [happy3]

Participant
    @d_robb21

Thanks Agave, I’ll give that a try. Unfortunately by the look of the overflowing mail box I don’t think that the redirection is in place, however you never know.

Is the title search that you speak of an online facility through your council or do you need to go into the office?

Cheers

D.

Profile photo of AgaveAgave
    Participant
    @agave

I had to go into the Council office and pay around $6 for it. I don’t think they do it online. Why not call them and ask?

Participant
    @d_robb21

One step ahead of you, already onto it [biggrin]

Thanks again

D.

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

We use abr.com.au here in QLd but they also service other states.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of TimCTimC
    @timc

Just bribe someone from the department of motor registration to get the full name and address….hehe [biggrin]

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

I would ask the neighbours on either side and even 2-3 down, you would be surprised which neighbours strike up friendships with & keep in contact with

Fern

Profile photo of MaiAMaiA
    @maia

HI there
    Im based in Nz, but I go into the council and look in the property file, sometimes there are names and contact details in there, it is free to look at the file, I wonder if it is the same where you are?

Good luck[suave2]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

I would’ve though RP Data or DOLA in WA?

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Online Positive Cashflow and Renovating Calculators

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    Originally posted by TimC:

Just bribe someone from the department of motor registration to get the full name and address….hehe [biggrin]

Tim, a criminal offence! Naughty. These days all access to peoples details are logged and if the employee is caught they would be sacked and maybe worse.

What you could do is get the title and then the transfer, get the names of the owners and maybe the solicitor they used. Write to the solicitor and ask them to pass on your details. Also do other searches such as white pages, electoral roll etc

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @d_robb21

Thanks for the feedback guys, certainly alot of ideas and many I’ll be taking on board and putting into action. Might avoid the criminal ones, thanks anyway [thumbsupanim]

I’ll keep you posted and let you know what works.

D.

Profile photo of HousemenderHousemender
    @housemender

Hi

In Victoria you can do an “Index Map Search” which will give you the volume and folio number. With that information you can do a title search and hey presto!![biggrin]

To do the Index Map Search you can contact a conveyaner or a solicitor with access to one of the on-line conveyancing packages. The one I did gave the result within 2 minutes. Should cost around $15. Otherwise, try your State’s Land Titles Office directly.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Isn’t it criminal to look at peoples letters in there letter box?

Even if there dead or alive and i guess we don’t know if this person even is.

A variety of free comprehensive property analysis calculators and feasability program downloads.
    Developers Renovators Positive Cashflow Home Owners Spreadsheets
    Lending Money Joint Ventures Subscription Five Star Checklist

Participant
    @d_robb21

Probably, if anyone asks, the letters had blown onto the street as well as the newspapers, I happened to glance down at the letters when I was returning them. [thumbsup2]

Profile photo of HousemenderHousemender
    @housemender

I can’t see anything illegal about just looking at the address on the front so long as you put it back in the box.

Technically under criminal law it’s only theft if you take them with the intention of keeping them – a bit like how you can’t be charged with shoplifting until you’ve actually left the shop premises.

So keep looking away!![biggrin]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.