All Topics / General Property / Advice on Renting a Property to Live In

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of wezwazwezwaz
    Participant
    @wezwaz

I am about to rent a property to live in within the next few months. For most of my life I have had accommodation supplied, so obtaining a rental to live in is a new experience.

I am interested in any advice on getting the best deal. From reports, the local area seems to be short of renters with properties vacant for longer periods. Is it realistic to be able to negotiate the rent down?

What’s your experience? Have you rented through a real estate agent or do you prefer to deal directly with the owner? Have you used the internet to select potential rentals or maybe you prefer the newspaper? I would appreciate any tips, tricks or traps to look out for. Thanks.

Wes.

Profile photo of RealEstateQueenRealEstateQueen
    @realestatequeen

Wes,
    Ive found private landlords easier to deal with than agents, as private landlords are not usually as clued up as a property manager should be.
    They also are alot more relaxed.
    All that said, this is a vague generalisation, i have heard horror stories about bad landlords, so for all those that are just waiting to correct me, i know, bad private landlords do exist!
    Just remember, as a tenant, you hold the power. The law in every state is biased towards the tenant. Good for you, not so good for the owner.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.