All Topics / General Property / Property bust not here yet … worse to come

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 1,123 total)
  • Profile photo of RobLRobL
    @robl

hehehe … well I LIKE a bit a colour :-) … who the hell was Peter Fischer?!  … LOL … yes swings and roundabouts :-) … prefer the roundabouts meself …. a giddy crumpled mess – then get up and do it all again … the swings? well .. come off at the top and break a leg … come off at the bottom, and the swing nails ya comin back :-) ….

but then .. be a bloody borin world if we had ALL the answers … hehehe

Profile photo of simplesimple
    Participant
    @simple

Another 25 points by RBA today and a promise of 2-3 more rises before next financial year. despite rises in interest rate, property prises still keep creeping up.  Very interesting indeed

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hi Simple … yes prices will continue to rise especially on new property because of increasing infrastructure costs and building materials and labor … the real deals or steals will be around in areas where new home buyers purchased 3/5 years ago on 100% loans … sad fact of life …

D

Participant
    @simple

Hey D, i see the logic behind it.

Interesting reading by Westpac : http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,22756808-462,00.html
    In short, Interest is 25 point up with warning of another 25 point coming, BUT consumer spendings did not suffer much, and those who in rent are actually started spending more.
    So  people still have enough fat to take the beating. I wonder at what cash rate the middle class will start to suffer, 10-12%?

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie

wait until the xmas spending starts.
    I'm tipping another rate rise early next year because of it.

Participant
    @simple

OK, bright part of Aussies  have elected the Labor party to rule the country. I hear that they are known for weak economy control.
    Next 12 months should indicate where are we heading. Any thoughts anyone?

@wealth4life.com

Yes I have another prediction … or two.

Credit card debt will hit 50 billion dollars in 2008 – highest in the world per head of population.

labor will spend all the Liberals cash reserves.

Retail interest rates will hit 10% b4 the end of 2008

Queensland and Adelaide will be the two best states to invest in.

Sydney investors should sell up most of their investments and invest in CBD or Lower North shore properties which will have a higher performance rate.

Now is the time to build equity into your investments – 6 months term deposits are now returning 7,25% and will rise as interest rates rise, come on baby boomers they have been waiting for this.

D

Profile photo of millionsmillions
    Participant
    @millions

My prediction is interest rates will hit 10% in next 2 years.  I don't think it's a political decision, just how much interest rates need to rise to stop people spending.

Participant
    @simple

Welcome to 2008!
    So for a start of the year we have:
    1. Jan-February  rise of 0.25%  with  another 0.25% promised to follow ASAP
    2. Property market started to level out ( as per my observations in Brisbane)
    3. What is the current CC debt, anyone?
    4. Unemployment started to rise
    5. US housing market, still melting down

Comments anyone?

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung
    simple wrote:
    Welcome to 2008!
    So for a start of the year we have:
    1. Jan-February  rise of 0.25%  with  another 0.25% promised to follow ASAP
    2. Property market started to level out ( as per my observations in Brisbane)
    4. Unemployment started to rise

Comments anyone?

Can you substantiate 2 and 4.

2.  I don't see any levelling out; my observations show that it is accelerating.  In Brisbane, I could give you example after example of rising land prices, shortage of properties available for sale, offers $20,000 to $30,000 above asking price.  It's not confined just to inner suburbs but is also happening in the fringes. 
    4..The trend shows that unemployment is reducing not increasing.  Anybody who is healthy and wants a job can get one easily.  My son works in a very large Australia wide recruiting agency and the general feeling is that there is still a desperate shortage of all types of labour.

Participant
    @simple

Hello hleung

2. This is based on my search for new PPOR. I noted that in the last 8-12 weeks many properties worth about $700K have not been sold, instead price where reduced on some. Areas I looked in: Manly / Wynnum, Stafford / Alderley

4. Based on report : http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,22918048-462,00.html
    according to the source, unemployment is rising now for two months in the row.

Participant
    @hleung
    simple wrote:
    Hello hleung

2. This is based on my search for new PPOR. I noted that in the last 8-12 weeks many properties worth about $700K have not been sold, instead price where reduced on some. Areas I looked in: Manly / Wynnum, Stafford / Alderley

4. Based on report : http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,23636,22918048-462,00.html
    according to the source, unemployment is rising now for two months in the row.

Properties worth about $700K in Manly/Wynnu/Stafford/Alderley are not a true reflection on what is going on in the market in Brisbane. I've just had a look at Brisbane's median house prices (as provided by Residex) for the 3 months ended 30th November.  Prices increased by about 6.04% which is more than the previous 3 months.

You need to read the total article not just use figures which suit your arguments.  Note in the article that you quoted from (see below) that employment has increased by 52,600 when they expected only 20,000.  The increase in unemployment was probably due to the increased number of people looking for work.  Every credible economist and statistician would conclude that the employment situation is improving not worsening.

Economists had expected the November jobless rate to return to 4.2 per cent, but hadn't counted on a record number of people actively looking for work.

The number of people in work in November surged by a seasonally-adjusted 52,600, bolstered by a 44,400 increase in part-time workers.  Full-time workers rose by 8200. Economists had expected a 20,000 increase in employment.

Australia's economy is very healthy at the moment, not deteriorating as you seem to suggest. 

Participant
    @simple

OK, corrected info:
    1. Jan-February rise of 0.25% with another 0.25% promised to follow ASAP
    2. Property pricing growing at 6.04% (brisbane)
    4. Unemployment is about 4.4 and holding

Any input anyone ?

Participant
    @hleung
    simple wrote:
    OK, corrected info:
    1. Jan-February rise of 0.25% with another 0.25% promised to follow ASAP
    2. Property pricing growing at 6.04% (brisbane)
    4. Unemployment is about 4.4 and holding

Any input anyone ?

I'm not too sure what you are trying to get at with the above comment.

Participant
    @simple

Trying to get as many people as possible to comment / add staff to the list to get as close picture of the current state of the economy as possible.
    The truth is born in discussions.

The reason I use this thread is my believe that we live on the edge of the BIG BANG as the current state of the economy is unsustainable. If we to figure out when and how it will erupt – money to be made by those who understand it.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

A couple of years ago when the issue of the economics of this boom were discussed on this board a member stated that a slump/correction would not happen until we had a trigger, and went through the last couple of slumps as examples.

We now may see the trigger in the distance. The current maket has been driven by unprecedented demand. For the first time property investment needed no capital as shown by posts on this board by people relying on centrelink who started on their portfolio.

This segment has relied on the 100% + loans. 

If the powers that make such decisions perceive that the greater risk in the market means that debts could be reduced to 90% even then we could see some adjustment. If that figure drops lowers than 90%, it could suck out enough buyers to slow the growth. Actually I think less than 85% would make very interesting viewing.

The typical refinace strategies relied upong by many will fail, as they will have finally maxed their card (house equity)

Many property investors who have relied on increased equity to cover their neg gearing will be faced with unloading or finding some temporary cash shortfall ( expensive) and hope the loans will loossen up before even more equity disappears.

Too many of the above, could push enough to sell property to ease demand, and also to change the perception that the market will run forever.

The debt issue will have some fallout in big business as many of these equity buyouts from recent years are coming under pressure. ( I myself have benefited as my biggest client was prepping for a 20mil + sale this June that has now evaporated – propably will now keep the S6 after all)

Enough of the above may encourage enough consumers to pull in the belt, and that could trigger a negative wealth effect and public perception on property as seen in all prior booms.

I know that China and India still have steam , but not sure if our economy could whether a cooling in consumption

From the look of the banks now trying to cover their margins I have to wonder about Wizard etc and how much margin they now have left.

The stock market is driven by a bunch of kids who don't  know how to make money other than in a Bull market and we seem to oscilate between 6300 -6700. Maybe the bull run is finished there too. And I know that China etc has steam, but the brokers have factored all of that current growth and more into the current prices.

This was the year that the crunch was predicted by the long term forecasters back in around 2000. Be interesting to see how it plays out

Profile photo of Dave123Dave123
    @dave123
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Thanks for the reply So all you other readers here what are you investing in currently or are you not investing at all ?? with 42000 members surley there are some savey investors other than the "regurlar few" come on don't be shy … D

Hi D
     Well have a couple of IPs in Ipswich since 03  also a PPoR 2 storey lake fromt sunshine Coast. Have done well on these.

Have taken a couple of line of credits purchased 3 blocks 2 sippy Downs & one ib Beerwah in process of sellimg  PPOR

and using 1 as PPOR and the other 2  keep fpr 12 months  then ofload  them…

I know things look a little rough with the subprime' and interest  rates but hang in there things will improve,, ID trim the Fat

Id let go any deal thats top heavy…. People who use this web site are looking to go places  stay  Positive!!!!

Regards Dave

@wealth4life.com

Yes welcome to 2008 and rising interest rates … it will be interesting how the sub 35 year olds will handle these new rate rises this year toward the magic 10% and beyond not to mention plus $1.50 petrol rises ??

The credit card debt will be mentioned towards the end of January as Australians once again strike up another world record of credit debt per head of population.

I believe that there are some great bargains coming as people are pressured from the banks to repay loans – whats the famous old saying ?? some ones bad luck is some one else's good luck …

Happy and prosperous 08 to you all … D

Profile photo of L.A AussieL.A Aussie
    @l.a-aussie
    simple wrote:
    OK, bright part of Aussies  have elected the Labor party to rule the country. I hear that they are known for weak economy control.
    Next 12 months should indicate where are we heading. Any thoughts anyone?

Broadly speaking, traditionally;

Labor is a party that looks after the down-and-outers and favours hand-outs to the masses; looking to keep them happy at the expense of longer term national economic activity and investment. Noble; but not necessarily good for the Country. They take away incentive for people to get off their ar$es and work to keep the economy ticking over.

Liberal is a party that tends to look more to encouraging and supporting business, investment, economic endevours first, the hand-outs for the sheep are second. The motivated get rewarded; the others don't – as it should be.

If the trend continues, now the Kev has the checkbook, you should see things like tax cuts, increased welfare payments, more spending on schools, hospitals etc (which is good), but not a lot of support for the entrepeneurs, small business owners, investors and commerce.

They tend to have had little control over militant unions in the past, so productivity declined, overseas investment decreased, the economy basically stopped growing. This leads to higher unemployment.

Will this all happen again? Hope not, but probably. Especially because I also thenk that Kev is weak, and will just lip-service everyone to try and stay popular, rather than doing what is required for the greater good.

The good news will be that with less investment and entrepenureship, there will be more unemployment so the sheep will have no money,  the house prices will come down a bit, but the sheep won't be able to buy so the rents will continue to creep up.

Cheaper houses for us to buy and increased rents; Yay.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    L.A Aussie wrote:
    simple wrote:
    OK, bright part of Aussies have elected the Labor party to rule the country. I hear that they are
    Labor is a party that looks after the down-and-outers and favours hand-outs to the masses; looking to keep them happy at the expense of longer term national economic activity and investment. Noble; but not necessarily good for the Country. They take away incentive for people to get off their ar$es and work to keep the economy ticking over.

Liberal is a party that tends to look more to encouraging and supporting business, investment, economic endevours first, the hand-outs for the sheep are second. The motivated get rewarded; the others don't – as it should be.

But it was the Lib's who decided to tax unproductive speculation at less than half the rate of actual productive activity, right?

F. [cowboy2]

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 1,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.