All Topics / Help Needed! / Early Access Experience

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of cameron615cameron615
    Participant
    @cameron615

Hi

Does anybody have experience of gaining early access to a property to rennovate.

At what stage in the process did you gain access, what were the legal technicalities and safeguards.

Thanks

Profile photo of WakeWake
    Participant
    @wake

Hi

We have had access before settlement on two IPs. One was a deceased estate, and a special condition was put in the contract to allow access for specific purposes ie recarpeting, repair balcony rails and some painting. The second had nothing in writing, but the owner moved out a few weeks before settlement and agreed to let us in to do basic renos.

We have had access denied on another potential purchase. It was vacant and being sold by mortgagee in posession. It needed work before it could be rented, and would only work for us if we could do it before settlement as we were committed to another reno at the time it was due to settle. We were denied access on the grounds that if the sale fell through, they would be left with a unit that required even more work (mind you nothing we did would have made it look any worse!). We offered to put a clause in the contract that made us liable for rectification in that event, plus taking out insurance, but they still denied. We didn’t proceed.

Wake

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

One of my real estate friends said he sold a house that was empty. The purchaser came over to the office a few days later and asked for the keys as he wanted to check something. A few days passed and the agent drove by the property to find the new owner had just copied the key and moved in, without permission, approx 5 weeks too early!

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of pucci4065pucci4065
    Participant
    @pucci4065

This was back in 1995. We had a long contract (90 days) but we moved in straight away under a proper tenancy agreement for $1 for the three months to settlement.

Profile photo of jacliftjaclift
    @jaclift

Hi All,

Any tips on what to cover off in a clause to allow early access?

J

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.