All Topics / Finance / Vent—b$#@*y banks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of as41as41
    Participant
    @as41

I just rang the ANZ to discuss a refinance of $12000 for a reno to my IP. They said yeah that fine etc… BUT here is the fine print…..they now have a DEFERRED ESTABLISHMENT FEE of $700 on any home loans which basically mean that if I pay off the $12000 earlier than the release date then I incure $700. If I refinance (Ie: sell the home or upgrade to a bigger house and have to refinance etc..)than I pay $700. This is about 5% of the actual value of the $1200 loan.. and they wont budge…My problem is that we may end up selling the Ip in the near future after the reno to realise capital gain…….My only other option is to refinance ASAP with a new loan.. So basically they suck you in by offering no set up feww but then chagne you to change or payout your laon ealry…unnless of course you stay with the ANZ and refinance through them!!!What a crack ![grrr]

Snowflake

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi as41

could you get a personal loan for the money ?

haven’t done the comparisions for you but it may work especially if the loan is only for the short term ?

regards westan

USA deals, cash flow equity and capital growth all in one property.
    International Property Consulting Pty/Ltd.
    Property Investing New Zealand Ltd
    http://www.iproperty.net.au

Profile photo of doogdoog
    @doog

We once was $6000 short of finishing a reno just before puting it on the market, so we got a credit card and finished the job, it was ok for the short term.

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Guys

doog sometimes its the simplest option ,but i wouldn’t like to take too long to pay it off. (must admitt i’ve used the old CC for investing but paid it back quickly)

as41 just did some very quick figures

if you got $12,000 at 7% then interest is $840 over 12 months, plus the 700 to set up thats $1540 over 12 months.

So if you can finance at under 12.8% as long as you pay it back in 12 months you will be ahead.

regards westan

USA deals, cash flow equity and capital growth all in one property.
    International Property Consulting Pty/Ltd.
    Property Investing New Zealand Ltd
    http://www.iproperty.net.au

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

Is the ANZ Loan able to be transferred to another property. I have heard of loans being “portable”……. this may avoid the $700 sting??

Live, Learn and Grow

Lifexperience

Profile photo of grossrealisationgrossrealisation
    @grossrealisation

hi as41
    sorry but part of my job is to check the detail and there is alot of money to be made in the banks detail and it can be changed but its a bit late once you have signed.
    all lenders are different and you do need to read the mortage document and understand it or get some one that does.
    there are lots of hooks and clauses that can cost you big if you pay it out early
    there are also lots that you can exploit so its not a one way street you just have to know what you are looking for.
    banks can be

but they are the people holding the money so at some time you are going to need to lend so you need to read every line of the paperwork if not and you want the oh they are all the same so lets sign( and thats what they rely on) you are stuck and you have to pay.
    My .002

here to help
    If you want to get involved in some of the projects I’m involved in email to [email protected]

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling
    BUT here is the fine print…..So basically they suck you in

I love Banks….they are my greatest ally in building wealth and cashflow streams from my investing endeavours. They are my partners who unequivocally stand by my side and treat me with respect as long as I perform all of the functions explicitly stipulated in the contract that governs our financial relationship.

What I don’t do is not read the fine print, sign the documents anyway and then whinge after the fact that I’ve been sucked in.

The Banks fully expect a more mature financial approach to the contract details than that.

One final comment, there is no such concept as “basically” and “sucked in” in a legal contract, that type of wishy washy language should be reserved for some tall story on a Saturday afternoon BBQ with a few mates. It merely indicates a distinct lack of financial acumen about the subject matter.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Snowflake,

Seems like your with ANZ now and want a loan increase. If you refinance with another lender now, you will be fine as you signed before the DEF come in. ANZ and Westpac have recently introduced these DEFs as they apparently do not make any money on loans that last less than 3 years, so they want to recover this and also encourage people not to leave.

It will only apply to new loans, so you have the choice of either accepting it or going elsewhere. There is not much you can do. They are unlikely to waive it.

ANZ loans are portable, so you could always sell, keep the loan, and then substitute a new property. That way you can avoid the fee like Lifex suggested. The loan can generally be kept open for 3 months while you search for the next property.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of dohickydohicky
    @dohicky

Hi I borrowed $15K in a personal loan to complete my renovations in sydney, then i got the property revalued and moved lenders to borrow enough to pay off the personal loan and mortgage, all within 5 months. it worked well for me.
    I just sold that property for $50K more than i paid for it 12 months ago with only $20K spent on renos. no cap gains tax as it was my first ppor. who said there is no money to be made in this market in sydney? you just have to work for it thats all.
    Good luck, next time read the fine print, and I always ask if there is an early repayment fee with ANY lending, they must disclose it if you ask.

Profile photo of as41as41
    Participant
    @as41

thanks guys.. some good strategies….Just to let you know (esp. DAZZLING) I have not signed anything just mearly enquired with the anz as I was happy with their service on an exsiting loan until this issue poped up and upset my balance….Here is what I have decided to do…

My father in law will give us the money via his line of credit. So we will just pay it off that way and no entry or exit fees etc for us…

The idea about self finacning it in the short term and then using the increased equity to refinance and pay out using another loan would have been a great second option……

thanks everyone…..[inlove]

Snowflake

Profile photo of jnealejneale
    Participant
    @jneale

Quote from above – “I love Banks….they are my greatest ally in building wealth and cashflow streams from my investing endeavours. They are my partners who unequivocally stand by my side and treat me with respect as long as I perform all of the functions explicitly stipulated in the contract that governs our financial relationship.”

My experience with the Commonwealth bank has ceratinly not been like this. I have performed all the functions required plus more and managed to still get stuffed around whenever I deal with them.

I find there is always some last minute hitch, especially when they have you over a barrel like just before signing and they pull out fees that were never mentioned before.

On my lasts loan the approval process dragged out because the loans officer decided he would only approve the loan as a business loan, despite the loan being a personal loan, for personal investment, secured by my own owner occupied house. My accountant said the bank can call the loan whatever they want but it was by law a personal loan. This meant the loan did not come under consumer protection laws and they said “we have had to make the monthly fees $48.00 because of the discount in interest rate we gave you” – this will more than negated the interest discount – to me a complete deception.

Is there anything that stops a bank from deciding at the last minute to classify a loan as a business loan and pull out last minute fees? Why can a bank classify a loan as a business loan when legally it is a personal loan?

They will do this when they know you don’t have time to go somewhere else. It is not fair to say “don’t complain about signing something after you have signed it ” Ok so the bank may make their legal declarations before you sign but is it fair if they do this at the last minute after some internal reviewer has had his say and well after you have come to an understanding (subject to final approval) with your personal banker whith their full knowledge about needing to meet a settlement date?

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Why refinance, when if you have an existing loan, you can simply upstamp the existing mortgage(assuming you have equity in it). This does not require a new loan only $4 per $1000 borrowed for stamp duty, and maybe a valuation fee.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.