All Topics / General Property / advice please

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of YasminaYasmina
    @yasmina

Hi to everyone,

I have question to anybody out there who might know something about lending company called Powerloan. My husband is nearly ready to leave full time job to jump in to this thing. We have two morgages, and many bills to pay, but my husband is convinced that “this is the one for me”. I recently change my career path and i am not making any money yet, cant see how new job ( commision paid) is going to solve our money problems. Please help if you know anything. Many thanks.

Profile photo of peejay121764peejay121764
    Participant
    @peejay121764

Yasmina, I have never heard of Powerloan so I can’t comment on the company. From the sound of your circumstances I would suggest that your husband exercise extreme caution. Not enough people look at the “downside” or what they can lose, preferring to see what they can gain. Look at what you can lose if your husband leaves his job and takes up the Powerloan option (and that doesn’t work) and then make the decision. Hope that all goes well in the long run

Peej

Profile photo of jnistedjnisted
    @jnisted

Hi Yasmina. I just had a very quick look on the web and it appears that Power Loan is a fairly new organisation. Is your husband looking at a job or a franchise with them? If he is looking at buying a franchise, exercise great caution. I’d suggest doing an ASIC search on the directors for a start. Are there other people working for Power Loan that you can talk to?

Janet
    0427 778875

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Are these people mortgage brokers? If that is what your husband is going to do, bear in mind it takes ages to get paid for loans, so he may be without an income for about 3 months. It could also take a long time for him to build up a decent income in the industry.

However, it may be worth a try. If it doesn’t work out, he can always go back and do a similar job to what he is doig now.

It may also be possible for him to keep his current job and start off in the broking part time and gradually ease into it.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

They are in my building downstairs.

As an accountant I was invited to an info morning for accountants they were running. So as to keep playing happy families in the building I went along.

Was very formula driven, had a lot of staff posing as other accounants, pad on knee replying yeah !!! to every rhetorical question.

Was pretty basic for me frankly and politely made my excuses. They were running these morning solid for months, judging by the trays of cakes made up in our cafe downstairs each morning.

Reminded me of my days doing door to door when I left school.

He will get support, but they look pretty gung ho.

Terry

Profile photo of WilmacaccWilmacacc
    @wilmacacc

Hi Yasmina,

I know someone who gave it a go for a couple of months and didn’t get any income from it at all. Their loans were not very competitive which made them very difficult to sell. They also had a telemarketing department that set up his appointments, however he would regularly turn up to appointments with people who had received phone calls but didnt want anyone to come and see them.

I’d be very carefull if your going to be relying on this income.
    Dave

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi Terry and you other guys who do broking,

i wouldn’t have thought now was NOT the time to get into the broking game ? I thought more people would still be leaving the industry than joining ? or has a big shake ourt already happened. ?

regards westan

USA deals, cash flow equity and capital growth all in one property.
    International Property Consulting Pty/Ltd.
    Property Investing New Zealand Ltd
    http://www.iproperty.net.au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Westan

Yes, there is a bit of a downturn, but more people are refinancing these days. Business is still good.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Carl.AlexanderCarl.Alexander
    Participant
    @carl.alexander

This was on Aussiestockforums last week.

Re: Westpoint collapse

On another note stay well away from this company….

Powerloan

http://www.powerloan.com.au/

This is the company that recommended Westpoint to my mother, how ill informed were their financial advisers. They took my mothers money just days b4 the collapse

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla
    Originally posted by Carl.Alexander:

This was on Aussiestockforums last week.

Re: Westpoint collapse

On another note stay well away from this company….

Powerloan

http://www.powerloan.com.au/

This is the company that recommended Westpoint to my mother, how ill informed were their financial advisers. They took my mothers money just days b4 the collapse

Good Point here … I saw this on ABC last week nad felt sick when I learned that over 30,000 Australian citizens lost over 1.35 million and cannot claim a cent back!

On another note I agree with Westan here as in any market downturn you need to understand the upturn process of events.
    Basically this means that as we had a boom recently … we had Realestate agents, Brokers, Mezzanine lenders, and many other related professionals enter he market like mushrooms as the money was good…..
    Now that things are not so rosy…. the not so stable ones are falling by the wayside due to lack of commissions and bad business practice/ethics (except for the real clever rip off merchants shuch as Teh lovely people over at WestPoint – who are still operating as FernTree now I think).

Let me guess he is putting up some funding to get into this wonderful experience with this brokerage?….

If your husband has no experience in the industry and as it is very tough now … he better expect to have some major income delays as even if he makes a sale in 3 months … your money tin will be dry for 6 months!.

As Mr Jenman Says “Caveat Emptor” – Buyer Beware –
    Cheers,
    Kiwi[biggrin]

For 15%+… Cash on Cash Returns goto:
    http://www.kiwilogic.biz

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    Originally posted by Kiwi-Fulla:

Good Point here … I saw this on ABC last week nad felt sick when I learned that over 30,000 Australian citizens lost over 1.35 million and cannot claim a cent back!

I have read the total investor losses are expected to be in the range of $200 to $300 million, although Neil Jenman’s website suggests it may be closer to $1,000,000,000.
    F.[cowboy2]

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Yeah …. Westpoint have over 250 companies tied up in the whole sham…. Investors are trying to mount an attack on them … but the directors have set up such a web of deception and track covering…they will have transfered all obtainable assets out of them and the investors wil have wasted thier money trying to get it back. ASIC is not gonna foot the bill either ….
    so much for the watchdog…… We need to adapt the Us buyer beware policy and get rid of the so called watch dogs (ASIC)… as they never …ever stop these guys from destroying the lives of innocent people….. however they do support the people that fund them!!! = Companies!

For 15%+… Cash on Cash Returns goto:
    http://www.kiwilogic.biz

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

Look I just can’t sit by and listen to you people bad mouth our regulators.

Last year I failed to pay my annual company statement fee, for the document I self generate from the internet, from the bill I download ed from the info I provide, and was punished with a $270.00 fine.

Rightly so I say, god knows what would happen if this went on unabated

Profile photo of Red13Red13
    @red13

I worked for powerloan a couple of years ago. They have a very very high turnover rate. There are alot of restrictions on what you can do, and they constantly bag brokers and banks. They are mortgage brokers, but only selling the branded products – therefore have mininal range.

There is alot of hype, and it is easy to get sucked in. The positivism and constant motivational talks make you forget that you are not earning money, or are only earning a bit. I would describe some of their practices as dodgy.

They place all the risk on you – no wage etc – but expect you to conform to their standards relentlessly. I believe many of their former/current workers could claim entitlements as workers which are otherwise completly denied to them, except most just dont want anything to do with them anymore, or couldnt be bothered claiming (or dont know their rights through all the hype).

The founders come from a multi-level marketing background, and powerloan is a mortgage broking company with that structure. Most people only sell to their friends, and make money for those higher up in the structure.

I recall them spruiking “Kebble”, one of westpoints products, relentlessly.

However I did learn alot about the finance industry, and professional ethics, but really nothing I couldnt have learnt from a 2 day course from WEA.

I would suggest that you join a reputable firm of brokers – your future will be much better, and realistic.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.