All Topics / Help Needed! / What are the worse things to have near an IP?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of dominicodominico
    @dominico

Another question. What things are considered the worst things to have near an IP? For example would you consider a major highway to be bad, a fire station, or a prison etc.. What things can be developed near a home that will make the price go down?

Regards,
    Dominico

Profile photo of MardyMardy
    @mardy

There is a juvenile detention facility across the road where I live. Neither it nor its attendees are hardly seen. But it has a reputation that stops property developers from wanting to chop down and develop the forrest that my apartment looks down onto!

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

Train lines I have had a bit of trouble with mine

We buy properties cash fast settlements no fees no fuss. contact me on 0408 355568
    [email protected]

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Being close to public transport is great but not if it affect your quality of life, so stay away from houses backing onto major roads and rail lines. Also air traffic noise is considered a problem in some areas. I’d also watch for site contamination, mining and any foul odours that could come from tips. I’d also avoid high tension cable lines as these are reported to cause health problems.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of HousemenderHousemender
    @housemender

Dominico, sometimes negative things can be great for an investor – you can get a really good deal on a property that other buyers dismiss outright. This happened with one of our IP’s that is next door to a car mechanics – can’t hear a thing through the walls, in fact can hear more from the neighbours the other side. We have friends who bought a property dirt cheap because it was on a really busy main road. They double glazed the front room windows which considerably reduced the noise and relocated the bedroom to the back – now no problems whatsoever – and they have 101 shops, restaurants etc literally on their doorstep. When you find a “cheap” property with a “problem” treat this as a plus and see if you can find a solution.

Profile photo of PurpleKissPurpleKiss
    Participant
    @purplekiss

Laneways can sometimes be a problem ie: easy access for theft and sometimes the noise factor if people loiter in it. If you choose a house with a laneway running along one of the fences be sure to plant plants that discourage anyone entering by that means ie: boganvillea (very prickly).

Regards
    PK

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

We live very close to a train line. It is about 15m from our side fence. No problems at all. The coal trains that come thru during the night can be noisy but you get used to it.
    We choose this house because it was close to a lot of amenties. We are within a 10 minute walk of TAFE, a high school. a primary school, local shopping strip, train station, numerous bus stops, pubs, clubs,and parks. Sometimes you have to assess whether the positive aspects of a property location outweigh the negative and then make an informed decision.

NB. My sister bought a house at the same time I did. She looked at ours and declined it coz of the train line. Anyway when we got our land rate valuation a couple of years later ours had increased from 150% hers stayed the same. We paid $110,000 and our land is valued at 105,000.

Only stupid people don’t ask questions

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

another one is having a phone booth at the front of your house.
    the low income earners used to hang around it, all night.
    we went off to telstra and had it removed.
    almost immediatly the vandalism in the street stopped

cheers all

shaun

Lead, Follow or get out of the bloody way

Profile photo of DeeveDeeve
    Participant
    @deeve

Consider the impact a bus stop may have if it is in front of a property & the type of people who are likely to congregate. Having lived in a new estate for a number of years before the buses were put throught there was a change when groups of people started to assemble in a particular spot where there are bus stops. Also in a nearby estate most of the lots are sold. One of the unsold is in front of the bus stop!

In local commercial areas the bus pick up areas are a strong deterent for traders as these areas are known for anti social behaviour. (This could also lead to opportunities!)

Having a bus stop nearby is a huge bonus….consideration needs to be given to having one directly in front of your property if it is on the same side of the street.

Cheers!!

Profile photo of penguinchickpenguinchick
    @penguinchick

sewage treatment plant or chicken farm. They are usually hidden in vegetation buffer and you can smell them even 1000 m away. There is nothing worse than on hot summer night have to have windows closed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.