All Topics / Help Needed! / Property development site – evaluation checklist

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of d_robb21d_robb21
    Participant
    @d_robb21

Hi guys,

We’re in the process of putting together a checklist for evaluating potential development sites. Just wondering if anyone has been through this process and can recommend items for these lists, for example the checklist would include such items as:

• Land size
    • Block slope/drainage
    • Covenants on block
    • Heritage listings
    • Easements
    • etc

Essentially we’d like a checklist so anyone can evaluate a property and have a reasonable idea whether the property is suitable for subdivision and/or development. Has anyone who is involved in developing got a similar list that I could have a look at?

Also, can anyone advise any previous dealings with the following councils with regards to planning turn around times and issues with getting plans through?

• Maroondah
    • Whitehorse
    • Hume

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Hi Dave,
    I’ve developed our own “Property Evaluation” checklist and covers points such as :

Zoning
    What is the size of land, current zoning, Heritage issues, Council restrictions on land size, building heights, setback & fees
    Topography
    Description of site, slopes, flat, gully, corner site, undermining, contamination, cut & fill. Any significant trees to be retained. Any flooding, High tension cables, Air traffic.

Neighbours
    Description of neighbours property, will development affect neighbours privacy, views, or overshadow property.
    Any similar developments nearby ?
    Transport
    Public transport, buses, train, freeway
    Any Main Roads restrictions on noise pollution. Do other roads need upgrading. Can you access site easily.
    Utilities
    Water, sewer, electricity, phone, gas. Can existing facilities been used or do they require upgrading ? Any easements, rivers or drains affecting the supply of Utilities.

I suggest you use the above to formulate your own template to use as a checklist when viewing land. Also don’t forget the digital camera !! Good luck.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of davemcdavemc
    @davemc

Check for a Significant Tree Those can hold you up, set you back a couple grand or increase costs of footings even if its next door

Profile photo of GeoffreyGeoffrey
    @geoffrey

I have a property which needs developing. So far I have had plans drawn up and not yet put them into council for a planning permit but have had all the necessary conversations and there are no reasons known that would cause problems. The property is on a lake on the Murray is about 5000 sq meters has absolute lake frontage and would be sutable for 10 -16 units. Half would have unresticted lake views, and these sort of units sell for from 400 to 800K depending on everything. At the moment I am deciding whether to sell or develop, Property value, is about $1,550,000 with the certainty of the permit ,or with it, possibly even more. Because I have never done any developing before I am leaning towards selling. Any offers.

Profile photo of TimCTimC
    @timc

Hi Dave

I have a pretty substantial Development checklist I can email thru to you if you like…I got it from a really good book I read and whacked it on a spreadsheet….PM me if you would like a copy.

Cheers

Tim

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Ask for a ‘Letter of Consent’ from the owner of the property so that you the prospective buyer can have a read through and study the council file on the property. This can tell you many things and save you lot’s of time.

What I would add is if the area around the property needs curb and channel if it is developed who pays for it? This involves making a pavement, a curb and channel and laying asphalt to meet the side of the curb and the existing road and putting in driveway access to the property. If it needs to be done then you need to check who will pay for it and if it is you, at how much of an expense is it going to be?

Interested in Joint Venture Reno Projects

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.