All Topics / Help Needed! / Develop or not?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of berrygordyberrygordy
    Participant
    @berrygordy

hi all,

We need some help please!

We recently brought our first home in Melbournes west, a run down weatherboard on a large block of 760m2 for 235k.

We’r just about finishing renovations and are starting to think about developing some of the land behind.
    We went to see a town planner, who said he was 95% sure we could get permission to build 1x3br and 1x2br units. (his fees $5500 inc)

Our problems are:

1) The house next door is half demolished and overgrown etc,
    we thought they was halfway through demolition/ developing. (nothing has happened for more than a year) !!! [biggrin]

2) We could build 1 unit ourselfs as an owner builders (i have some construction expeariance.) But not the second unit (new owner builder laws.)

3) We have used most of our savings on deposit and renovation costs.

4) We still owe 135k on the house, but a valuation should come up about 270-280k

5)The local council will not let us subdivide before construction has started.

How could we finance this project?
    Or should we wait and see what happens next door??

The only solution we can see is;
    To forget about the two unit plan, and just build 1 unit as owner builders, trying to slowly steer the application though town planning ourselfs [blush2] saving 5.5k.
    In the meantime try to save half the construction costs say 60k
    then lend the rest, build- move in- sell the old house and repay all loans.
    (if we stay in the new house 1 yr do we save tax?)

I feel though our option is safe we are not fully capitalising!

We would apreaciate any advice.

Regards, berrygordy.

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion
    Originally posted by berrygordy:

hi all,

We need some help please!

We recently brought our first home in Melbournes west, a run down weatherboard on a large block of 760m2 for 235k.

We’r just about finishing renovations and are starting to think about developing some of the land behind.
    We went to see a town planner, who said he was 95% sure we could get permission to build 1x3br and 1x2br units. (his fees $5500 inc)

Our problems are:

1) The house next door is half demolished and overgrown etc,
    we thought they was halfway through demolition/ developing. (nothing has happened for more than a year) !!! [biggrin]
    i think that this is a minor problem, its also one that you dont have much control over so i wouldnt spend too much thought on it.

2) We could build 1 unit ourselfs as an owner builders (i have some construction expeariance.) But not the second unit (new owner builder laws.)
    Building a unit will be a great way to learn new things (i wll be building by the end of the year) BUT you need to know that its going to take up a lot of your time, not only on site but you will be needing to do a fair bit of leg work also. Will you be able to allocate the time needed in building? Might it be a better option to get a builder that will be on site do the job. This is something your going to need to consider.
    3) We have used most of our savings on deposit and renovation costs.
    Do you have much equity in other properties ? You might need to have a chat to a morgage broker or a bank to run some numbers for you too see if your able to get the lend. Would you want to hold or sell the units on completing them?
    4) We still owe 135k on the house, but a valuation should come up about 270-280k
    there you go some equity to get you started !
    5)The local council will not let us subdivide before construction has started.
    this seems strange to me /shrug first time i have heard this

How could we finance this project?
    Or should we wait and see what happens next door??
    you need to have a chat to a broker for the finance.
    i fail to see the importance of the house next door. UNLESS your planning on selling. Then again it didnt stop you buying now did it !

The only solution we can see is;
    To forget about the two unit plan, and just build 1 unit as owner builders, trying to slowly steer the application though town planning ourselfs [blush2] saving 5.5k.
    In the meantime try to save half the construction costs say 60k
    then lend the rest, build- move in- sell the old house and repay all loans.
    (if we stay in the new house 1 yr do we save tax?)

I feel though our option is safe we are not fully capitalising!

We would apreaciate any advice.

Regards, berrygordy.

Good luck with it all and i hope i have helped :D

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of TimCTimC
    @timc

Hi mate

I am definately no mortgage broker etc but if it helps at all I found out (and was confirmed by my broker) that possibly during the developments construction phase, the interest can be carried over til when the structure is complete (i.e u dont pay any of the installment payments during construction, just all payments u would have made goes onto loan total at the end). From what I have found out the LVR needs to be pretty favourable once the total interest payable is tacked on the end of the loan before the lender will touch it.

This sort of tactic might help you pay for the construction while there is no income coming in from the units (either rent or sale profit)

Not sure if my advice is even what you are after but can’t hurt to let you know i guess.

Cheers

Tim

Profile photo of berrygordyberrygordy
    Participant
    @berrygordy

Cheers Tim,

Thanks for that mate.

Allso can anyone tell us if we sold the old house and lived in the new unit for 1 yr would we have to pay any cg tax?

Cheers, Berrygordy.

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

the old house needs to be your PPOR for you to be exampt from CG tax.

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.