All Topics / Help Needed! / Here it is -Positive CF Property 8km from Brisbane

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of lisa.jason12lisa.jason12
    @lisa.jason12

You read on these forums quite often people asking where to find positive cashflow properties. If you are out looking all the time you find can them.

Here it is a positive cashflow property laid on the table for you.

PS. I am not a real estate, not a buyers agent , and not looking for a finders fee.

But here’s one – on the weekend my husband and I went to an open house of a positive geared property in Moorooka, Qld. We are not in a position to be buying right at this point, but we are always out looking.

It is a unique place (as in there are no other +CF properties in moorooka). This one is a boarding house, with 5brms on beaudesert rd.

All the following info was recieved direct from the real estate agent and I haven’t done any due diligence or investigated further – as it is not quite what we are after. So take the info on face value.

The house is a registered boarding house, which means that it is rented by the room to low income or pensioners. Their rent money is deducted straight from their centerline payments into your account (so no worries on a person not paying the rent). There is a 100% occupancy. People waiting to get into these properties.

The house itself. Condition is poor cosmically, but from one inspection only the structure looks sound. Inside – Holes in walls, needs painting. But the agent will tell you the going rate for a room is $120 whether the house is in good condition or bad. So why spent a cent on it when it won’t increase your return. The kitchen is basic. Bathroom ugly and old (and from underneath has leaked at some point). There is beautiful hardwood floors (as seen from underneath) but they are all covered with tiles. There has been some water damage at back door. A window is falling off. Each tenant has a fridge in their rooms. All rooms are locked individually. Laundry is under the house.

There is old furntiure in the house which comes with the sale.

Asking price is $350K. (was $420K for a few months, and has just been reduced). The rent recieved is $600 a week.

The guy who owns it now has 7 boarding houses. He is apparently old (77) and it’s all getting too much from him. He does all the renting himself and there no agents comission/fees.

Here is the link on realestate.com.
    And no this isn’t how we found the property – we get out there and drive around the streets and ring up any properties that look interesting.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&s=qld&cc=&c=17568138&tm=1146518495&id=103077773&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=rbs&ag=&cu=fn-rea&fmt=&header=

I am not recommending or unrecommending this property. You would need to do your own DD, and check out what is involved with a boarding house, the registrations etc.

Check out this website for a bit od info:
    http://www.housing.qld.gov.au/programs/ch/support/boarding.htm

I also found out whether you can take any property and turn it into a boarding house. There are rules and regulation, and in particular about the location. It has to be close to transport (this one has bus right at door), close to shops and not in a quite residental area. This one is on a huge major road.

For those not in Qld, the property is in Brisbane city council.

Hope someone finds this a good deal and sits back to enjoy the income. Then maybe you’ll owe me a bottle of rum!

Good luck.
    Lisa

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Thanks Lisa. I think its worth a closer look.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of lisa.jason12lisa.jason12
    @lisa.jason12

Thanks Amanda for your reply.

I see lots have read the post, but no one has replied til you.

Lisa

Profile photo of Benny MBenny M
    Participant
    @benny-m

Thanks for sharing Lisa, great to see people hitting the road even when they’re not buying, and sharing their experiences. Even though fixing up the place a little may not affect the return, It could have a large effect on the increased value of the property?

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Just been doing some numbers. Looking at boarding house fire compliance, registration fees and electricity.
    We’ve got our hands full at present too but giving it consideration.
    I agree with Benny that a facelift wouldn’t hurt and could be done as each room became vacant.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of Property PassionProperty Passion
    @property-passion

good to see you sharing this type of info :D

“It’s not how much money you make, It’s how you spend it that matters.”

Aspiring property developer

Giulio Taranto

Profile photo of kkingkking
    @kking

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the ‘heads up’ on this property. Took a look at it with the agent late today and it is certainly is just as you describe. By my reckoning it will only provide a 2.04% return on funds invested which makes it hard to accept with a personal threshold of 8.00%.

The only other question left for me is ‘what would I do with it if I owned it’?

Profile photo of JAWS1JAWS1
    @jaws1

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing this with us. Looks interesting!

J

Profile photo of okinjaokinja
    @okinja

Thank you very much Lisa for taking the time to post this. Looks very interesting – unfortunately just out of my price range at moment.

Regards Tamara

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

HI all,

Normally we wouldn’t let posts of this type remain on the forum so do not take it as an open invitation.

This post has remained in situ as it clearly demonstrates that with a little nose to the wheel and feet to the ground can reveal properties that suit an individuals needs.

Certainly not intending to rain on Lisa’s parade (a great gesture & example BTW Lisa) but individuals will need to do some comprehensive DD to consider rates, insurance, maintenance, liability and dare I say it legality issues etc in their research.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958
    Skype – derekjones2113

Profile photo of linguistlinguist
    @linguist

Hello… this is my first time on the forum… I am in the #2 intake. I also noticed this property – the house next door is also for sale for $255k (looks terrible on the outside but apparently inside is renovated). Dont know what you could do with this, but it is a point of interest.
    Lisa.

Profile photo of chameleon_jochameleon_jo
    Participant
    @chameleon_jo

Hi Lisa’s

Thanks for the post – it is good to see real people finding real deals.
    I also appreciate your generosity in taking some time to share the info you have on this deal.
    Cheers, Jo-anne

Profile photo of Stuart MilneStuart Milne
    @stuart-milne

I removed my earlier post as I spoke too soon…

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Thanks for the post Lisa. A client of mine purchased a property 5km from the Brisbane CBD early last year and has achieved a good positive cashflow from renting out by the room. He also lives in the house, which makes it a lot easier to manage but certainly looks a viable way to increase cashflow.

Kind Regards,

Cameron Perry
    Director
    Perry Financial Strategies
    Level 13, 30 Collins St
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    Ph (03) 9662 1999
    Fax (03) 9662 2044

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.