All Topics / Overseas Deals / New Zealand Sub Dividing Help Needed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Hey all,
    Anyone got a step by step guide on costs on subdividing in The South Island. also Cross leasing issues and advantages?
    Any resources or contacts would be greatly appreiciated as I have a number of deals that I have under my wind that have good land size and great location for additional development to increase cashflow and yeilds.
    Cheers
    Kiwi

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

hi – Cross lease is less than half the cost of a standard fee simple title but there are other issues to consider!

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of Kiwi-FullaKiwi-Fulla
    @kiwi-fulla

Cheers guys,
    Any more info people?

Profile photo of MaryJMaryJ
    @maryj

I live in the South Island of New Zealand. The costs differ from council to council. Here is a breakdown of subdivision costs in Richmond (near Nelson). The example is a section that is subdivided into three titles:

Plan for resource consent 3,000.00

Consultant 2,500.00

Application fees 3,600.00

Surveyor & engineer 14,000.00

Tasman District Council 29,590.00

These are real and uptodate figures. If you have some more questions, you could email me at: [email protected]
    I’m doing developments with spec houses.
    Cheers
    Mary

@kiwi-fulla

Thanks all!!!
    Much appreciated!
    Cheers
    Kiwi[baaa]

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi there

I have only subdivided in the North island, however the first step is to get a surveyer to visit the site and give you the low down. they measure it, give you a time-frame, exact run down of costs, etc etc

There is a lot to it i.e. where are the services, access, right of ways. There is a legal part of it too but this comes much later. The answer as to how much it costs is soooo ‘it depends’. And only the surveyer is qualified to suss it out for you really. They can also pretty much handle the whole thing for you, even advise you who is a good lawyer to use to complete the subdivision (someone who they deal a lot with is always good as they have a relationship.)

allow 6-12 months for the whole process, even if they say ‘3-12 months’. You will find that it’s a whole lot of hurry up and wait. Council say they take ’20 days’ to process an application but it might take you three months to get to the ’20 days’ and then council come back with some silly tweak and then you have to allow more weeks for surveyers to re-submit and then another ’20 days’ blah blah ad nauseum. you might find it a quicker process in the South, but I’ve done subdividing in Rotorua (very very busy, backlog etc) and Northland resource consent (took a year, sloooooowww aaassss aaaa wet weeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkk) so don’t be like impatient if you want to go through the process!!! however it is a very good way to add value with basically not a hell of a lot of work or (relatively) expense. Also touch base with an agent before you start to estimate the resale value of what you’re about to do. In some places it’s not worth the hassle and expense, there has to be a certain ‘tipping point’ of land values and demands before it’s worth doing. I.e. i wouldn’t necessarily start subdividing willy nilly in taumarunui for instance. Not quite yet, but maybe soon (Gee that town is going off!)

cheers-
    barb

@kiwi-fulla

Hey BArb,
    Thanks for the run down. I have a few of these that have good future build potential, I have sussed out slapping 2 bedders on them (if wurvey comes in and costs would stack up … if hte DP’s come at a good rate … will wait and see what happens.
    AS for Taumarunui … I have a few deals on the go there and also Wanganui. They are both doing quite well. I also have another deal I am working on in Hamilton … just trying to suss out how motivated the vendor is :o) … will see which one of my offers they would prefer and work on them from there.

Anyway cheers all….
    PS… anyone know of a saavy Solicitor in NZ that thoroughly understands Lease Options?… another thread perhaps
    Cheers
    Kiwi

Profile photo of garywith1rgarywith1r
    Participant
    @garywith1r

Hi MiniMogul,

Thanks for your post. I’m looking at a possible sub-division of an existing block of units in Hamilton. Have you ever done this before? We’ve spoken to a surveyor who had a quick look and said it should be pretty straight forward.

I’m thinking of tying the subdivision to the settlement date on the S&P agreement, but this would only make sense if we could realistically complete the titling within about 4 months.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Originally posted by MiniMogul:

allow 6-12 months for the whole process, even if they say ‘3-12 months’. You will find that it’s a whole lot of hurry up and wait. Council say they take ’20 days’ to process an application but it might take you three months to get to the ’20 days’ and then council come back with some silly tweak and then you have to allow more weeks for surveyers to re-submit and then another ’20 days’ blah blah ad nauseum. you might find it a quicker process in the South, but I’ve done subdividing in Rotorua (very very busy, backlog etc) and Northland resource consent (took a year, sloooooowww aaassss aaaa wet weeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkk) so don’t be like impatient if you want to go through the process!!! however it is a very good way to add value with basically not a hell of a lot of work or (relatively) expense. Also touch base with an agent before you start to estimate the resale value of what you’re about to do. In some places it’s not worth the hassle and expense, there has to be a certain ‘tipping point’ of land values and demands before it’s worth doing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.