All Topics / Help Needed! / Dealing with Negative People

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling
    If you are happy with the research you have done, confident you can make this work for everyone involved and the numbers stack up, that’s all that matters!!!!

But then on the other hand, let’s put the shoe on the other foot and have a look at the situation wearing a different hat and through a different set of glasses.

I’ve chatted with quite a few couples at parties etc, with them being unaware of our property background. One couple in particular I remember were carrying on like pork chops about all of these fantastic deals they’d been finding and how the REA was explaining to them what an opportunity it was to get in “on the ground floor of this landmark development”. They’d never bought an IP before and were still paying off their PPoR which they’d purchased 3 years previously and had made a “packet”.

When they explained the details, the unit was out in whoop whoop, had zero land content, the tenancy profile expected was very average….and the future capital gains expected were way over-stated. On top of all this the vendors had done a financial projection for them, where it cost them only $ 120 per week after taking into account expected tax refunds and depreciation benefits……

Now – call me a negative Nelly if you want…..but this was a clear case of a developer making a packet off uninformed newbies. I started to delve a bit deeper, but could see the stars were glittering in their eyes and nothing would sway their opinion. They were “happy” with the deal and the numbers really stacked up !!

This couple were so “happy” with their new found fantastic deal, that they went ahead and eventually bought it for 6K less than asking price. big flurry of fanfare and celebrations all round. More talking and chinwagging over BBQ’s….investors they were now.

We found out later, with much hulla balloo and dramatic fanfare, that new tenants moved in and proceeded to trash it, causing 11K worth of damage and 7 weeks of unpaid rent before the PM appointed eventually had them evicted with the bailiffs assistance. much drama and hand wringing. Suffice to say the 4 week bond wasn’t quite adequate. They still have it, but aren’t quite so gung ho about it…..and it hasn’t gone up in value at all. Conversations at parties and BBQ’s aren’t so enthusiatic and colourful anymore, yet everyone in the “circle” constantly asks how their property portfolio is going.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that little story in to balance up the discussion.

Perhaps….just perhaps….when people give you “negative” comments…..they may in fact be helping you avoid a massive pothole on the road to wealth.

My tactic – if encountering a negative viewpoint, is to simply ask what their suggested alternative is for the allocated funds. If they say “Oh I dunno, but I certainly wouldn’t do what you are suggesting”….then rightly dismiss their negativity.

Over the last two years, I’ve also found talking about investment properties to elderly folk to be one of the most ‘positive’ aspects of investing, and indeed have landed one absolute cracker of a deal via word of mouth…no advertising…..simply by having a chat.

It would be a shame to miss out on a doozy all because you were very tight lipped and didn’t share stories / experiences with family / friends, or indeed with complete and utter strangers like we are all doing right now on these forum boards.

Profile photo of jel08jel08
    Participant
    @jel08

And just to add my two cents’ worth – thanks Agave for helping me realise I’m not the only one who has not divulged a single detail about our properties in NZ and US to my mother – Depression era person, believes in living off the pension and leaving her PPOR and all her money in her will to me and my brother. Thinks our regular trips to NZ are just because we love the place. BUT, what we have done is discussed every aspect of our investments with our two children (just turned 18 and 21). We want them to be unafraid of property investing, and to understand what it entails. If we have raised 2 kids to think a bit outside the square, to explore all the opportunities out there, to stay optimistic when those around you aren’t, then I will consider we have done an OK job. And yes, it’s a bit sad they understand we just don’t tell Nanna certain things but it saves endless phone calls predicting our doom.

Involving relos in the journey is great if it works but when you know their mindset will not change, keep the conversations off property and keep your sanity by chatting on this forum about your PI journey. My greatest inspiration has come from the people on this forum.

All the best
    Jane [smiling]

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Dazzling,

I haven’t always agreed with you in the past, but you get my gong for this comment. Hehe – as if it matters [blush2]

Over the last two years, I’ve also found talking about investment properties to elderly folk to be one of the most ‘positive’ aspects of investing, and indeed have landed one absolute cracker of a deal via word of mouth…no advertising…..simply by having a chat.

In fact, your total reply in this thread has been very worthy – but I particularly liked the above quote – shows you in quite a different light. Onya, Dazz

Benny

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.