All Topics / Value Adding / Transportable homes

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of kressleykressley
    Participant
    @kressley

I live in Mount Isa in NW Qld. It is possible to buy land quite cheaply here that could easily be redeveloped with multiple dwellings or units. Rental prices (due to the mine) are quite good and good properties are in high demand.

THE PROBLEM However there is a long waiting list to get trademen. I was considering buying an existing home and trying to renovate it but that I have heard it can be up to a 18mth wait list for a new kitchen!!!

(THE SOLUTION) I was thinking an option could be to buy transportable homes and erect them on the sites. I don’t have the skills, time etc to buy a kit home. Does anyone have any experience with transportable buildings or know of any companies? Another idea was to advertise locally to find a group of people that need new kitchens etc and hire someone from Townsville or Brisbane to drive here to service multiple customers.

What do you think? Any other ideas?

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

We did a removal house a couple of years ago. Your first stop is your local Council to determine what conditions are required for a removal house in your area, and the amount of the bond and fees payable. This topic has been covered before of the forum so try doing a site search also. Your local paper or phone book should have details of removal companies or try http://www.drakehomes.com.au

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Interesting question…
    I was in Isa last week to have a good look around.
    We met Xstrata, the council, some local business owners, our preferred agent ( Ray White…great people)

We got some blocks in the new subdivision, and as a result are also going to build.
    But we took along our own builder from the Sunshine Coast.

We believe we can get to lockup within 60 days and completion in a further 60 days.
    Clock starts from building approval from the council.
    Can’t wait to prove we can do it !

Sometimes you have to offset paying more for your building vs the time savings. ( eg…you will make it up by saving on holding costs as well as getting rent quicker )
    We have heard that local builders will not give you a quote to build till Dec 06.

Its a great little town and I am actually looking forward to visiting again.

We are also proposing to build for locals if there is any demand….look out for the signs on some of the blocks in the new subdivision….

kp

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

PS…I have heard that Ark Homes manufacture in Townsville and will transport to ISa….
    I have also heard of a ‘Squadron’ transportable home that was sent up there.
    From what we saw, I would recommend stay away from them…

kp

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I think transportable homes are a great idea. Not second hand ones but brand new in this instance.

Costs of sewage on a new block would be one big expence needing some research and also a plan ‘B’ if the homes units looked like being vaccant? where’s the next place that could take them on?

An above ground sewage disposal system would be an idea to look into.

Have you had any quotes to build one?

Interested in Joint Venture Reno Projects

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Who me ????

We are doing Transportable homes on concrete slabs to Karratha atm.

First batch turn up late May and into June.
    Can’t comment till they are set and completed.
    They are at a big savings to using a local builder.
    kp

Profile photo of reelygood1reelygood1
    Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Kressley,
    Your idea has past my mind many a time, we have 4 houses in Isa and we have a DA in on one of them at the moment to subdevide and build a duplex at the rear. I spoke to some builders last year in Isa and was qouted $1200 sqm approx, probably gone up more now. Xstrata are crying out for quality accommodation in Isa, if Summit Resources get the go ahead for uranium mining in the area, it will put more upward pressure on Isa. We just had a bank valuation on one property we bought 5 months ago for $165,000 and it came in at $210,000, property prices are going upward, thats for sure. The thing I notice in Isa is trying to get a tradesman to do anything, even a quote is a problem, can take months before they will even give you a quote, KP has the right idea of flying in a builder for his project.
    Don

djr

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Hey reelygood,
    Can I ask when the local builder will commence construction assuming you sign a building contract with them ?
    I mean will they start straight away?
    And how long are they quoting to build ( 6 months or faster ?)

I am curious to know as we heard that all local builders are snowed under and can’t start anything new till after December.

Also I wonder if that $1200 psqm rate is still applicable ?
    We heard that they are quoting frm $1500 to $1700 psqm.

Would be nice to verify the fact from the fiction.

kp

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi KP,
    I wish I could answer your questions, as I have not asked for any quotes this year for duplex project I mentioned. It is still in at council waiting approval, 5 months now, should have go ahead soon. Only one town planner in Isa at the moment and everything is taking a long time. I have another property in Isa in with council waiting approval 7 months now and they just asked for a 4 week extention. Not sure if we are going to build duplex yet or on sell the project, I will have my Builders licence at the end of this year and may do the project myself, I was not keen to move to Isa from Brisbane for the project as I have a family with young children going to school here, I will just wait and see how thing pans out. If the prices are around what you are saying per sqm, transportable homes are looking good or as in my case building myself.

Cheers
    Don

djr

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Hey congratulations on the bulding licence ! Thats a huge achievement.

I am surprised by the delays you have experienced with the council.
    When we saw them they were suggesting 10 days for planning approval and a further 10 days for building approval.

I guess it may be different for new building on clear land, compared to addition of an extra dwelling in an established area.

I thought you were in Isa, so i guess it would be difficult to organise from Brisbane.

I wouldn’t use a transportable home. What we are doing is freighting all the frames/fitout in, and then erecting locally.

kp

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi KP,
    Your a lot ahead of me in that I have’nt done anything because of waiting for approval in my DA with town planner and council, yours is a straight out building application for the building section. I did have some prices on transportable homes from a company in northern NSW that were very competative and from memory was around $9000.00 delivered and stumped, still have power, phone, sewerage and water to hook up. My plan of the duplex was block construction and had very little timber in the building, less to damage when renting. My wife and I liked Mount Isa and could see nothing wrong with living and working in the town, some people have been there all their lives and wouldn’t be anywhere else, the country around Mount Isa is full of minerals and it will be a mining town for many years in the future. Good luck with your project and keep the furum up to date with how you go?

djr

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

After what we saw in Isa we decided to avoid block, or colourbond cladding.

Its time for a change.
    We are going to do rendered and brick exterior, with high spec fitouts including granite benchtops, etc.

Its taken for granted in the city but ppl in the bush are also wanting a certain level of comfort and it has been sadly lacking to date.

I have visited and stayed in regional places in WA and Qld and I have to say that I also liked Isa.
    Its a great little town,that has huge potential imho.

I see parallels with other mining towns that are further ahead into the cycle than Isa is…
    kp

Profile photo of fiestamotelfiestamotel
    @fiestamotel

Hi,
    I recently (last year) bought a block at Blackwater and had an Olympiade Homes (Forest Glen) transportable home built on the land and it is rented out at $460pw.
    The house came with council approvals, carpets, curtains, light fittings, flywire screens, front and side verandahs, carport and the price included erection on the block. I had the flyscreens upgraded to security screens and doors.
    What it did not include was:
    Connection to water, sewerage and electricity and screening under the house.
    Other items to consider are:-
    Fencing, landscaping, concrete, air conditioning, dishwasher, toolshed.
    I found it cheaper to employ Sunshine Coast people to connect the water and sewerage and to lay the concrete.
    I was going to do the same at Mt Isa but the vendor pulled out of the contract.
    I have a house on a large corner block at Blackwater which is also rented out for $460pw and currently have an application in to council to put a second dwelling on the block facing the side road, and when approved will have another Olympiade home built.
    I find theOlympiade Homes being new are hassle free, don’t require renovation and don’t need any repairs for some time.
    If you require more information please ask.
    Barry M.

Profile photo of jamesjimmy1jamesjimmy1
    @jamesjimmy1

kressley i too live in mount isa and also have had the very same thoughts ive been over to townsville and been through the ark homes factory in february this year and had some good ideas thrown at me they were very very helpful the prices for a house stumped in mount isa were very good too compared to getting or trying too get a builder in mount isa which you no doubt have found out . they gave me a time frame of 3 to 4 months from date of order to stumped on my land .all i then had too do was get sewarage and power connected but alas due to a shortage of funds i wasnt able to go through with the plan . you might want to look at there website or even give them a ring they are very helpful

james [cowboy2]

Profile photo of jamesjimmy1jamesjimmy1
    @jamesjimmy1

a question for kp you wouldnt happen to be grasstree developements would you

james

Profile photo of bridgebuffbridgebuff
    Participant
    @bridgebuff

I dont know if you have IKEA anywhere close (eg Brisbane), else try the net. They sell reasonable priced kitchens which are really easy to install if you dont have to stuff around with connecting water/gas/electricity[strum][strum]

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

Has anyone got any experience with depreciation on transportable homes?

Are they eligible for the same tax concessions (ref depreciation) that a regular property would be entitled to?
    Also is it at the same rate?

Cheers in advance.

Mick

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.