All Topics / Value Adding / How long does a major reno take?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

I know a lot of you have undertaken major renos on your PPOR and/or IP propeties. How long did it take? Was it quicker and less costly when you had a vacant home?
    We are getting experts to do all the following but have no idea how long it is going to take. Obviously I will discuss with our builder when the time comes but the curiousity is killing me.
    Work to be done.
    New u-shaped kitchen
    New bathroom inc toilet
    New laundry inc toilet
    Knock out 3 walls
    Extension 4m x 4m to enlarge family room
    Erect wall
    buildins in 3 rooms
    tiles in all wet areas, familiy, hall and kitchen
    carpet in 3 bds and lounge/ home theatre
    5 windows
    paint through out
    ducted RC A/C

Our house is only small. 7.7m x 13.25 not including extension

Thanks
    Tanya

Only stupid people don’t ask questions

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

It depends on how well the builder coordinates his tradespople, but what you described is a major reno and could take 3 to 4 months

Michael Yardney
    METROPOLE PROPERTIES
    Author of Australia’s leading property e-magazine.
    Join over 11,000 readers each month.
    FREE subscription http://www.PropertyUpdate.com.au

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

How long do you want it to take ? As Micheal said it depends on how well your builder co-ordinates the job ans should be around 3 months. On the other hand if you do a lot of the work yourself while you may save some $$$ expect the job to take anywhere from 3 – 12 months, or longer !!

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

Hi Tanya,

If you have engaged the service of a builder to take care of the entire reno then it all depend on him and how good he is at managing his project. Make sure that you have a contract with the builder before you begin, the contract will state what is to be done, what the cost is, and how long it will take, also don’t forget to include a penalty payment in the contract incase the builder does not complete the work on time he has to pay you a pre determined sum. It is also an incentive for the builder to complete the job on time.

Profile photo of NZRoseNZRose
    @nzrose

Hi Tanya,
    I’d like to answer you woman to woman as I am one who has lived through several reno’s and extensions (with young children in tow!)

Your list of things to be done is the simple part – what is affected by doing those rounds out the list.

There are times when the work seems to be racing along (have you ever watched the progress of a new house being built?) and there are times when you are wondering what on earth is happening.

I believe it is essential to maintain a positive view on what you are doing as coping with the disruptions in a house where you are living can be difficult. [chill] Short termpain for long term gain – so if you control the “pain” and see that in perspective then the gain is going to be immense!!

Enjoy, enjoy and congratulations!!

Rose

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I aggree, I would allow a good three to four months.

Since you say your getting experts then I would expect it to be done in less then three months. But three months seems reasonable to say.

Quiet an extensive Reno you are doing there.

Interested in Joint Venture Reno Projects

Profile photo of RikkyRikky
    @rikky

How long is a peice of string I guess it depends on were you cut it

We buy properties cash fast settlements no fees no fuss. contact me on 0408 355568
    [email protected]

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

Hi Tanya,
    This list is quite straight forward. Things that make the biggest difference to the timing are.
    a, If you live there or not. (not is better)
    b, If you use a builder or not (Builder is better)
    c, If your builder is Good
    d, Get him to commit to a finish date and a start date and then work towards the finish date from day one.
    e, DO NOT move back in, until it is ALL finished. (trades hate working with owners in the house)
    f, Check off his invoices with him and pay him the SAME day. Trades only work for you for your money, They try and like what they do, but at the end of the day they are only there for the money. The longer you make them wait (two days or two months) the more the other client who pays on the spot comes first.

AS this is what I spend my week doing here is my guess.
    • New u-shaped kitchen = Plumb, Tile, Install, Granite, etc. 10 days
    • New bathroom inc toilet = Plumb, Water proof, Tile, Install, etc. 14-21days
    • New laundry inc toilet = 3 days
    • Knock out 3 walls = 1-2 days+ make good
    • Extension 4m x 4m to enlarge family room = Site work, Footings, floor, walls, Sparks, roof, wall & ceiling lining, windows, cladding, 21-28 days
    • Erect wall
    • Build-ins in 3 rooms = 1-2 days
    • tiles in all wet areas, family, hall and kitchen = 3-4 days
    • carpet in 3 bds and lounge/ home theatre = 1 day
    • 5 windows
    • paint through out = 3-6 days
    • ducted RC A/C

Good Luck,
    Mark

“Ut sementem feeceris”
    “You reap what you sow”

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Gee Mark, you’d be working at a cracking pace.
    Definitely move out, Tanya. I had friends who went through a reno of similar scope and lived there. The builder had to work around them and it slowed things down. Even if you can just give the builders 6 weeks or so without you it’s going to be to your advantage – financially and emotionally.
    Think very carefully about all finishes etc before the job starts. Changing things during the job will cause problems.
    Acceptt eh fact that when they start demolishing existing structures, there will be surprises.
    My first PPOR reno took 6 years – weekends. It nearly killed me, but I learnt a huge amount.

http://oak.arch.utas.edu.au/projects/aus/406/brun.html

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

Thank you all for your input. I can understand that moving out will be beneficial to both the builder and ourselves as far as not having to try and fit in with each other thus getting the work done faster. Does anyone know if it will be beneifical financially for us to move out? Does time equal money in the building game? We have no family here so would be looking at renting a one bedroom unit for the duration of the work (about $100 -$120 a week).

Only stupid people don’t ask questions

Participant
    @mark-coburn

to put simply : In the building game the only thing time equals is money. i.e. Wages, Interest.
    Speed equals profit.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

Yep, time = money in building.
    If you can find a one bedder to rent for 3 months at that price, I would take it. Put as much of your stuff as possible into the bedrooms and seal the doors against dust.
    Vacating will mean the builder won’t have to fit around you before you leave for work and when you come home. It also means he won’t have to clean the site every day as he would if you were living there. Less cleaning means more time spent working.
    Also, if the builder knows there is a date you will be returning, it may make him quicker because he knows once you’re back living there his job will be harder and there will be tears.
    Scott

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Participant
    @mark-coburn

Scott, you are dead right!
    The number of times I have told clients that and the only tears are from the ones who don’t listen. And it costs them more too.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Participant
    @mark-coburn

to put simply : In the building game, the only thing time equals is "money" i.e. Wages, Interest.

"Speed = profit"

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.