All Topics / Value Adding / Second toilet or bathtub?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

Hubby and I are at the planning stage of renovating our PPOR . We have 2 children aged 6 and 9. We would all like a second toilet but this would mean getting rid of our huge bathtub which has the shower over it and installing a shower/bath combo. I am happy to do this but would like others opinions. As far as value adding goes..what increases value more..a second toilet or a big bath?

Only stupid people don’t ask questions

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

Back when we had small children it became imperative we have a second toilet which was the main driver for doing an extension,. We had 3 children and it seemed someone was always on the loo when someone else wanted to go. I definitely think if its a case of one or the other a 2nd loo would increase value more.

Fern

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

We had a similar issue with our house and installed a large corner shower with glass pivot door, which came with a fibre glass bottom around 450 mm deep. I think it was from the “Decina” range and cost around $1100 but allows our children to still have a bath and as it has a flat bottom showering is no problem.
    I’d go for the second toilet or perhaps a good linen cupboard for storage.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of MuktaMukta
    @mukta

Hello tgavin71,

As far as adding value definately go with the 2nd toilet. Try to incorporate an optional bath in the shower like mentioned before, but keep in mind if your adding a 2nd toilet to gain the max capital benefit, you will have to go threw council. Youll have to get plans drawn from a draftsman and lodge them. That way if you sell you can advertise it legally as having 2 toilets!
    Hope this helps
    Kind Regards

Paula

Profile photo of tgavin71tgavin71
    @tgavin71

Thanks a lot for your input. We were certain that we were on the right track but just wanted to make sure. I have been to the decina website and found the bella 450 shower/bath. But couldn’t find one that was 600mm.
    As far as plans going to council we have to do this anyway as we are renovating the whole house and getting an extension.

tanya

Only stupid people don’t ask questions

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

two loo’s probably! Make sure there is not a way to have both first. Get someone to come out an do an on site inspection for you. Fresh eyes can make all the difference.

cheers

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Personally, we have a shower over a bath, which I loathe, but we had to make a choice and couldn’t fit a bath and shower and I had heard so many times “you must have a bath” we went that way..

My close relative who used to sell real estate always said you MUST have a bath if possible. Most families want a bath. I know with our IPs that on the rare occasions a family wanted to rent, they definitely want a bath if they have smaller children.

When we had our three babies, we used to shower them mostly, me holding them while hubby stood by to hand them in and out. We had a huge clawfoot bath and to bend over that huge bath to bath a little one was back breaking, so we opted for showers.

I suppose my point is that this is a very personal thing. I love having three toilets in our house and couldn’t imagine going back to one.

My advice would be to ask a couple of the local real estate agents what their opinion is. They know what people are looking for in your type of house, in your type of area.

If you are purely doing this for your own living, do what you feel is best for you, but don’t forget you will want to sell the house at some stage, and believe me, people can be fickle when it comes to buying houses. I know some sales that have fallen through because the trim colour was wrong, ant caps were missing, etc. So getting the bath right could be the straw that makes or breaks your sale down the track, silly as it sounds.

Wylie.

Profile photo of roborobo
    @robo

We have IP with 2 showers , 2 toilets and no bath. Never a problem with getting tenants, have always been familys with kids.
    Robo

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

What size is the bathroom, you could be surprised with what you can fit in it. Have you thought of a corner bath, or shower, it could also allow you to put in another toilet. if you are renovating are you increasing the size of the bathroom?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.