All Topics / Legal & Accounting / question about tax

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of brendon11brendon11
    Participant
    @brendon11

hi all
    i have owned a property for about 8 months and have started renting it out a couple of months ago… my loan repayments are still being charged on “home owner” mode as my bank doesnt need to know unless i have a tenant in for over 12 months…
    so my question is, will the fact that i am paying of my loan in this way instead of as an investment property, going to affect what i can claim?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

No, there is no difference. Don’t know what you mean by being charged on home owner mode. I don’t think there are many lenders out there these days that charge differently for owners and investors.

What the ATO looks at is the interest charged.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of brendon11brendon11
    Participant
    @brendon11

thats a bit of a relief, just had one of those thoughts that began to niggle at me, thanks :)

what i mean by ‘home owner’ mode is basically my bank has different interest rates for home owners and investors, home owners having a slightly lower rate

Profile photo of Just LearningJust Learning
    @just-learning
    Originally posted by brendon11:

what i mean by ‘home owner’ mode is basically my bank has different interest rates for home owners and investors, home owners having a slightly lower rate

Take this with a grain of salt, but have you checked your loan agreement. My only frame of reference on PPROR loans is from about 20 years ago when “thou shall not blow thy nose unlest thou asketh the bank”‘ – if that is still the case then to be technically correct maybe you have to “”ask””/ tell them that you are no longer an owner occupier and you have leased “their”‘ property out to tennants.

regards,

Paul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.