All Topics / Finance / Line of credit

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of StormingStorming
    @storming

I am just starting to look at properties and am wondering if a line of credit is a good way to finance. Will this overcome some of the costs associated with mortgage establishment. Have reasonable assets but lousy cash flow as I have my own business.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

LOCs generally have higher interest rates. Costs are also generally a bit higher, or same as normal loans.

If you have lousy cshflow, then maybe a No Doc loan is for you. It is possible to get a LOC with a No Doc or a standard loan – sometimes these canbe used like LOCs if they have free unlimited redraw (eg. Macquarie Mortgages)

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    Parramatta
    [email protected]
    Just send me a blank email, with “subscribe” in subject line.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Storming

Just bear in mind that the normal way to structure an IP loan would be to borrow 80% against the security of the property and maybe bridge the 20% difference plus costs from your LOC secured against your PPOR or other security.

You may still incur mortgage establishment costs such as mortgage stamp duty. loan fees if any on the 80% portion.

Whilst you may have poor cash flow your resulting Net Profit maybe sufficient to service a loan.

If set up under a Professional plan some of your costs will be exempt.

Why not get a broker to run his eye over your position so that you now how to go forward. Bad advice early in the peace will incur greater cost down the track.

Richard Taylor
    Residential & Commercial Finance Broker
    **Lodoc Commercial loans from 7.39%**
    Licensed Financial Planner
    Ph: 07 3720 1888
    [email protected]

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of MortgagemanMortgageman
    Participant
    @mortgageman

Hi Storming,

A line of credit will give you flexibility, but, as Terry says the rates are generally a bit higher than for a regular loan. Another possibility for accessing your equity is taking out an investment loan with a 100% offset account and leaving your surplus funds in the offset account. I suggest you speak to a good broker about your possibilities.

Kind Regards,

Cameron Perry
    Director
    Perry Financial Strategies
    Level 13, 30 Collins St
    Melbourne VIC 3000
    Ph (03) 9662 1999
    Fax (03) 9662 2044
    http://www.perryfinance.com

Profile photo of Mobile MortgageMobile Mortgage
    @mobile-mortgage

Very good advice from Cameron,

When correctly structured a 100% offset linked to any loan will work in the same manner as an LOC… and in many situations offer a greater benefit over a LOC.

Line Of Credits are my pet hate, they are over rated and all too often poorly managed, expensive and in most cases not required. Cheers.

Regards
    Steven
    Mortgage Broker

Mobile Mortgage Market
    Ph: 0402 483 216
    [email protected]
    http://www.mobilemortgagemarket.com.au

PLEASE note comments made should not be taken as specific taxation, financial, legal or investment advice.

Profile photo of StormingStorming
    @storming

Thanks for the prompt advice guys. Clarifies some issues in my mind.

Will bear your comments in mind when having initial discussions with bank next week.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.