All Topics / Help Needed! / Pet urine problem

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of flashflash
    @flash

have had house advertised for rent for 3 weeks and PM is having trouble filling it due to pet urine odour.

We have had the carpets cleaned,deodorised twice but is still noticable according to PM..

Obviously we don’t want to rip up the carpets.
    Any ideas?

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Sounds like you might have to rip up the carpets.

Can you imagine the calibre of tenant who’d move into a place that smells like…[sick3]

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

That smell does not come out in a hurry.
    The problem is while the place is untenanted it probably locked up all day which only makes the smell worse.
    I’m with Fast Lane on this one, replace the carpet. Or get another dog lover in there, this can work out quite well sometimes, allowing pets.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of debbraddebbrad
    Participant
    @debbrad

I looked it up on the internet once because with 2 young kids I was having trouble getting a urine smell out of the carpet in their bedroom. 1/2 cup vinegar mixed with 1/2 cup water poured directly onto the smelly area then towels to soak it back up. May need to do it a couple of times. It worked for me but it will depend on what is underneath your carpet and how far the urine has soaked in. Also depending on the colour and type of carpet vinegar might not be OK for your situation. Look it up on the net.

Good Luck[hair2]

Profile photo of mumofthreemumofthree
    @mumofthree

We rented a stinky house once (work paid for it – thanks so much) my husband would run the airconditioner constantly so he didnt have to smell the smell!

Initially i thought someone had died in it, but after going out for a day of shopping, it became apparent that the smell was animal urine,..
    I poured a whole box of Bi-Carb soda on carpet and that did help neutralize the odour, maybe this can work for you if you intend to get another animal lover into the house, otherwise id rip up the carpet, expensive but would you sleep a night in that house???

Profile photo of flashflash
    @flash

Thanks everyone for your comments ,suggestions.

By the sounds of it might be better to bite the bullet now and replace carpet,then shouldn’t have to many worries for 5 ,10 years.

Just another learn from your mistakes scenario I guess.

Happy investing!!

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Could you rip up the carpet, (write it off against your tax), and then polish the floors?

I don’t know what your floors are like. If you are on a concrete slab, maybe put down a floating floor.

It would be a shame to replace the carpet and then have the same problem again.

Wylie.

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Replacing carpet should only cost $2-3,000. I have just recarpeted 2 townhouses with good hard-wearing carpet (stairs are involved and cheap carpet deteriorates quickly) for less than $5,000.

Check with your accountant as to whether it can be expensed since the replacement is obviously due to wear and tear or whether it has to be depreciated. If the latter, don’t forget to claim back the residual value of the carpet that has had to be replaced.

mum

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Once a smell like that gets in its almost impossbile to get it out. We just had Andersons install new carpet in our 3 bedroom rental, a solution dyed poly sisel, costing $1920.
    With new carpet you could probably ask another $10 per week in rent.
    I’m for getting the new carpet or polish the boards.
    Also ask your Pm to advertise the property as “prefer no pets or smokers”. If you do get stuck with another dog lover why not charge double the bond ?

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

In Queensland you can only charge four weeks’ rent as bond, unless the rent is over a certain weekly amount.. I don’t know if anyone has got around this but would like to hear from anyone who has because sometimes four weeks’ rent doesn’t cover the damage tenants can leave.

Wylie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.