All Topics / General Property / Westpac and Defence Force Housing

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Profile photo of delucadn14563delucadn14563
    @delucadn14563

We have purchased 2 properties from DHA in the last 6 years, one in Syd and one inTownsville, North Queensland. Both were on leaseback arrangements.

I agree that the Mgmt fees are rather high, however, what you need to take into consideration is the guaranteed tenancy for that term as well as maintenance performed over that period. We did find the (Non Negotiable) properties slightly higher than similiar private market, however this was not enough to discourage us away and we have enjoyed generous growth on both the properties in the relatively short term that we have had them.

Having said this, DHA is not the answer for everyone and it is by no means a no-brainer. We conducted all the usual due diligence and property/suburb researches before laying down a deposit as well as Financial Position calculations.

Overall we have been very happy with the DHA system, and I continue to search the DHA site for new opportunities.

Originally posted by SteveMcKnight:

Hi,

As the article says (click link), Westpac has just bought $100m worth of Defence Force housing.

This would be a good time to discuss the merits of this type of investing, and also whether Westpac has made a good move in buying this portfolio.

Oultine

The Defence Force buys houses as homes for its personnel. From time to time, it then sells the property on a long-term leaseback basis.

Their website is: http://www.dha.gov.au

There are two main isses with DHA properties:

1. The price is inflated given the guaranteed tenants; and
    2. The rentals fees appear high.

DHA charges a monthly management fee of 16.5% (incl. GST) of the gross rental income for houses, or 12-14% (incl. GST) for apartments, units, and most townhouses if a body corporate is responsible for exterior maintenance. This monthly fee covers the cost of managing the property and most day-to-day maintenance (including repair or replacement of fixed appliances should they fail).

On the flip side,

1. There are no vacancies
    2. The tenant is the government, so you know they will pay

Background

Some months ago, the DHA put up an extensive portfolio of their houses for sale. While investors can buy houses (see http://invest.dha.gov.au/dha/), this portfolio was seen as attracive as there were so many properties available at the one time.

The offer was put out to tender, and it seems that Westpac was the successful bidder at $100m.

Westpac

It seems that Westpac is planning to run Australia’s first Real Estate Investment Trust. This is essentially like a company float where investors can buy and sell units in the trust like they would shares in other public companies.

Anyway, let’s open it up for discussion. What do you think of this type of investment? Have you owned a DHA property? If so, what has been your experience?

Let the conversation begin.

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Profile photo of ryanntryannt
    @ryannt

Hi all,
    Even up here in darwin which is a big military town, and hence big DHA town, approximately 2400 homes in Darwin and surrounding areas, the returns are also only 5 – 6%. not good enough for me. Westpac are known for their strange ideas.

Profile photo of proper propertyproper property
    @proper-property

Just a warning for those who are planning to buy dha properties. Their prices are HIGHLY inflatted and lots of them are in areas that you will find hard to lease after defense moves out. they are also build differenly than the normal average person would like to live in . i.e they are mor commercially built.
    Buyer just Beware

Profile photo of macatakmacatak
    @macatak

I have looked at defence housing as an option before and also have a “rellie” who went that road and got burnt when a serious “rent adjustment” was applied to his property. This left him with a serious negative geared effect. Also, I’m not a big Westpac fan so would be cautious about this type of investment strategy. Mac Jackson[baaa]

Profile photo of IndifferenceIndifference
    @indifference

I agree with Simon’s comments. I also have first hand experience with DHA as a tenant and manager of troops. Many of my friends have DHA investment homes. Some are happy, some think it was a mistake. They are long term, non-negotiable, have high fees & fixed term investments bought at high prices compared to other homes in the area. They are hard to onsell. Very illiquid.

If I had to choose between parking $400k+ in a DHA house or managed fund, I would choose the managed fund hands down. Not the REIT either. (not that I prescribe to manage funds by the way) But for some ppl, a DHA investment might just suit their mindset and subdue their inner fears about residential investment. But not me.

…emotion clouds good judgement but is a defining element of character.

Profile photo of Susannah BowdenSusannah Bowden
    @susannah-bowden

Hi All,
    Stats and figures aside, Im guessing that there are a lot of folk out there who want to invest their money but find the share market too risky. They’d prefer to invest in bricks and mortar ‘the safer investment’ but either don’t have the funds or are not saavy enough to get into property investment. If Westpac were to stitch up a portfolio for them that was marketed to be ‘as safe as houses’ there’d be a lot of interest I’m guessing. Low returns don’t seem to concern a lot of people. After all theyre so used to negative gearing!
    Susannah Bowden
    Life is about Choices
    Your Choices affect Others
    Choose Wisely

Profile photo of robert_griffiths3599robert_griffiths3599
    @robert_griffiths3599

Dear All,

Interesting discussion, but take it from Westpac point of view. They want to use some excess lending money, flog off the trust (to our super guarantee funds for capital stable portfolios) in time and collect ongoing fees and loans from the REIT! Simple, Westpac is creating a vehicle from which it can generate more fees from in the future.

You may have to look beyond the obvious for the real reasons!

Cheers.

Profile photo of macatakmacatak
    @macatak

I have investigated this style of property purchase before and there are traps for “young players” ie adjusting rent returns to suit market climate. This can leave you in a serious negative geared scenario. I’m also not a Westpac fan so would be very cautious about this style of investment.
    Mac Jackson

Profile photo of FreePropFreeProp
    @freeprop

Hi all

As a baby investor, I read the responses with interest. We looked at using DHA as possible clients but found that their requirements for houses were too restrictive. They list a lot of “basic” requirements that, as in investor, I would not normally include – such as mulch on the gardens, space for a freezer, privacy and security on all windows, doors and entrances, etc. They also have specific locations in which they are interested whi ch may or may not suit the investor. Hence, we decided the returns were not suitable for us at this stage.

Local gossip says that the Borneo Barracks, just outside Toowoomba, QLD will close in about 3 years as their lease on the land is finished. Local gossip in SA also says that Elizabieth is going to expand as a battallion is moving in (just after a possible exodus from the Holden employees) so the timing of the two pieces of gossip is very interesting. Has anyone else heard anything along these lines??? And is there an opportunity here???

Profile photo of eeleel
    @eel

I looked into it once as they said they would re-furbish the house at the end of the lease, this is why they charge a larger fee as its YOUR money that is refurbishing the house at the end. Also a friend leased his own house to them and his tennants were not very good and the management was even worse to deal with.

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi, this is interesting cos I’ve been considering DHA properties & finally rejected it – same numbers : about 6% yield on an inflated price. The price has built in 10 years of +ve appreciation. I worked this on the actual houses advertised here in Adelaide. I was interested in the double-storey houses, those in Windsor Gdns and Greenacres. The reason is the building cost of 2-storey houses is very high & therefore, at the end of the tenancy, this type of residential building will still command the price. I’m not particularly rapt with the suburb though. The location is not the best. In Adelaide, Mawson Lakes is the supposedly new ‘hip’ location. The houses there are new and big and overpriced. The suburb is outer suburb Northern. My property manager specializes in these N suburbs & he says that Golden Grove has been devalued by the hordes of young hooligans who live there now. Even the police do not want to be working there. He reckons that these people will move to Mawson Lakes next. If I’m not mistaken, Mawson Lakes has large numbers of DHA housing.

Maybe someone from Adelaide has something to add.

Profile photo of Investors ChoiceInvestors Choice
    @investors-choice

Interesting thread – seems to be 2 in 1 – I can comment on the DHA properties as I currently own one I will leave the Westpac side alone.

We have 7 properties in our portfolio and to be frank we got sick of chasing the rental managers over rental reviews, property reviews, slow payers and high unauthorised maintenance costs. Not to mention one tenant catching her bed on fire the fire brigade promptly ruining the carpet, the tenant who called an electrician on Saturday to replace a fuse, and more.

DHA provided us with hassle free investing. Some features you may or not be aware of. Rent paid from the day of settlement straight into your bank account each month, regardless of vacancies, a rental guarantee for the 6, 9 or 12 year lease ( with additional 3 year option) a rental guarantee for the length of the lease will never go lower than the current rent Maintenance included in the management fee of 16.5%, so if a new hot water system is needed they pay for it, all damage by tenant underwritten by the DHA.

I orgininally thought the 16.5% management fee was high but this what I get, a park and forget investment with a guaranteed rental stream, all maintenance covered, the property re carpeted and re painted ( included in purchase price) at the end of the lease. I looked at my other property management fees – I encourage you to add it up, every 2-3 years your tenant moves, 1 month of no rent, advertising fees, release fees and potentially a lower rent agreed and on top of that no maintenance fees for 12 years.

As the property ages this adds up. In addition there is an independant market rental review Christmas each year – 2 out of the last 3 years I got a letter in the mail to say by the way your rent has gone up. My discussion with one of my other property managers goes like this – can we put the rent up $20 a week, it has been 4 years, she says well they will probably leave and then you have no rent for 2,3,4 weeks and you will probably have to settle for the same rent – you sure you want to do this, there is reletting and readvertising costs. As far as I concerned DHA can keep doing annual reviews and keep sending me the letters.

As a mortgage broker I have clients who have bought into DHA for other reasons – they live in isolated areas and want a no hassle investment, some are just starting and want to start with something safe, for me something in a high capital growth area that I could forget about the day to day running and just monitor returns. DHA has 10,000 investment properties around Australia.

If you are interested in any more info happy to oblige

Jane Slack-Smith
    Investors Choice Mortgages
    http://www.investorschoice.com.au

Profile photo of mummum
    @mum

Also, this is not the first REIT. It may be the first listed residential property trust but REITs have been around for a while. There are several unlisted residential property trusts and many listed commercial REITs and mixed REITs. I regularly get sent information on unlisted ones.

If anyone is contemplating investing in a listed REIT, a good stockbroker is able to give advice as that is the market in which listed REITs operate. All the big stockbrokers have regular information sheets on the market segment.

mum

Profile photo of john_preacherjohn_preacher
    @john_preacher

Maybe if they kicked to soldiers out, flattened and redeveloped it I might consider, but problem as it stands is the poor capital growth.

Profile photo of bettinahunterbettinahunter
    Participant
    @bettinahunter

I think the defence housing, if brought at a good price would work really well. My husband and I have an investment unit in similar minded principle. It’s a holiday letting, everyone is guaranteed a particular amount of base rent every month and depending on the occupancy rate we all receive a portion of the occupancy rate which varies depending how many people stay within the month. So I think guaranteed income can really work with the defence housing, again if you can get it at a price which is positive gearing or close to it.

As for the Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) I am not really sure I would be to keen to dive in???

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Here is an email that I received from Mark. I have his permission to post it here.

Bye

– Steve McKnight

Hello Steve,

Whilst I realise that the email below is a group email I thought I’d drop you a quick line.

I am a serving Officer and have personal experience with the Defence Housing Authority (DHA). My wife and I have owned several investment properties and have often looked at the DHA properties for investment. For various reasons we have not invested with DHA, though we both still consider the DHA to be a very sound scheme.

We currently live in a DHA property, though this is the first time in over 20 years of service.

The entire reason of DHAs existance is to provide quality housing for members of the ADF. There are several standards of housing that DHA provides, determined mainly by rank and family composition. As you stated a lot of military personnel do not own the home that they live in due to the transient nature of service withe ADF. Personnel can expect to relocate every two years or so.

You mentioned that there are pluses and minuses for having the Commonwealth as a tenant. The headaches of vacancy and rent collection are removed but more importantly the Commonwealth assumes the role of the leasing agent.

Condition reports are very detailed and on departing the property a very thorough inspection is conducted. The property is returned to its original condition with allowances for fair wear and tear. Stories of ruthless departure inspections are common within Defence.

From my personal experience I have been informed that if I put a picture hanging nail into a wall I will have to repaint the entire wall on my departure. Another example is if I put a vegie patch in the back garden I shall have to re-turf it.

DHA enforces the regular inspections and will also act very quickly to rectify any fault with the property.

The management fees are in the higher band but unlike some real estate agents that charge but do not enforce the land lords rights or
    expectations, DHA does.

I have found that DHA generally sells their properties at the higher end of the market value, but of course that is all part of the negotiation.

If any one is interested in a DHA property they should contact the nearest DHA office. They will provide a comprehensive pack detailing all the aspects of the sale and leaseback programme. They will also provide an Australia wide list of properties for sale. The DHA web site is http://www.dha.gov.au

Yours faithfully,

Mark

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Here is an email that I received from Mark. I have his permission to post it here.

Bye

– Steve McKnight

Hello Steve,

Whilst I realise that the email below is a group email I thought I’d drop you a quick line.

I am a serving Officer and have personal experience with the Defence Housing Authority (DHA). My wife and I have owned several investment properties and have often looked at the DHA properties for investment. For various reasons we have not invested with DHA, though we both still consider the DHA to be a very sound scheme.

We currently live in a DHA property, though this is the first time in over 20 years of service.

The entire reason of DHAs existance is to provide quality housing for members of the ADF. There are several standards of housing that DHA provides, determined mainly by rank and family composition. As you stated a lot of military personnel do not own the home that they live in due to the transient nature of service withe ADF. Personnel can expect to relocate every two years or so.

You mentioned that there are pluses and minuses for having the Commonwealth as a tenant. The headaches of vacancy and rent collection are removed but more importantly the Commonwealth assumes the role of the leasing agent.

Condition reports are very detailed and on departing the property a very thorough inspection is conducted. The property is returned to its original condition with allowances for fair wear and tear. Stories of ruthless departure inspections are common within Defence.

From my personal experience I have been informed that if I put a picture hanging nail into a wall I will have to repaint the entire wall on my departure. Another example is if I put a vegie patch in the back garden I shall have to re-turf it.

DHA enforces the regular inspections and will also act very quickly to rectify any fault with the property.

The management fees are in the higher band but unlike some real estate agents that charge but do not enforce the land lords rights or
    expectations, DHA does.

I have found that DHA generally sells their properties at the higher end of the market value, but of course that is all part of the negotiation.

If any one is interested in a DHA property they should contact the nearest DHA office. They will provide a comprehensive pack detailing all the aspects of the sale and leaseback programme. They will also provide an Australia wide list of properties for sale. The DHA web site is http://www.dha.gov.au

Yours faithfully,

Mark

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of KERNAGHANKERNAGHAN
    @kernaghan

Are Westpac useing this tactic to try to get a leg in on Defence Loans for housing which are currently done in part by National Bank?

The housing is too expensive seen the market is in a lull and the much higher rents are being collected to a managed property with very low vacancy ie. I have 2 properties bought for $450,000 and $480,000 which command $550, $650 rents.

Profile photo of showersingershowersinger
    @showersinger

I looked extensively at DHA figures. Yes there are advantages to having guarrenteed rent for a period of up to 13 years, but that appears to be the only upside, well that and the fact the defence force will renovate the property post lease off period.

I found the prices of the properties somewhat our of touch with existing proerties in the same areas. For example Epping, two bedroomed new townhouse were going for approx 100k higher than the mean price for properties in that post code (residex 2006). Even though there will be continued growth in rental yields over the next 12 to 18 months, there is still a formidable amount of negative gearing required. Added to that the 16 % management fee required per week to maintain the property. Now work out the numbers required to make this sustainable on a 600k house or townhouse. In my opinion, there are too many cons for these properties vs the pro’s. Dont take my word for it though. Log onto the DHA web site and do the figures yourself, even savvy investors can see the numbers dont add up simply for the peace of mind yo have a continual tenant in place

D

DAB

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

This deal has been hawked around the investment banks and fund managers in one form or another for the best part of 15 years.

I suprised Westpac put their hand up for it….I guess in all honesty they are using other people’s money :)

Steve …when you say it’s Australia’s first REIT…do you really think its any different to a normal property trust??

Also…Keep in mind REIT in the US do a lot more than just invest in property. A lot of the smaller/ medium size mortage originators in the US actaully operate as REITs to take advantage of the tax breaks they get.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.