All Topics / Value Adding / What to do with a sleepout?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of redboxredbox
    @redbox

We have an old 3×1 with a sleepout (entrance is throught the laundry). The roof is an extension of the patio (metal) and the main wall is lined with plastic windows that open from the outside. It is very hot in summer and freezing in winter. We cant put anything valuable in the room as there is no security because of the windows. To convert it to a proper room, I imagine we would need to put in all new windows and a proper roof and ceiling which would not be cheap.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with it?

Profile photo of TyroneTyrone
    Participant
    @tyrone

Hi,

I went to a Reno Kings workshop yesterday and they normally recommend creating a room, because it can potentially add another $50K to the value of the property. If that’s viable, it should cost too much to add a few windows and a door.

Otherwise if that is not worthwhile for you, maybe knocking down the walls and opening it up to be a verandah and create a nice street appeal with a rail on some timber floors?

Hopefully that gives you some additional ideas.

Tyrone

Tyrone | Property Investory
    https://propertyinvestory.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Hear from the experts and join the 33,700+ listeners today

Profile photo of redboxredbox
    @redbox

Hi Tyrone, thanks for the advice – you confirmed the need to do some research as to whether the benefits of making it a proper room outweighs the cost. I will be getting the property re-appraised in the next 2 months or so so will ask the agent then.

On another point, how was the reno kings workshop? Have been thinking of going, but as I am in Perth, it would involve a trip over east.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.