All Topics / Help Needed! / To Mount or not to Mount Isa?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious

Has anyone noticed the Isa gaining momentum. Their must be gold in those hills.

Dom[buz2]

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

I hadn’t noticed that.

Seems like a fly in fly out sort of place.

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

Profile photo of GoldCoastGirlGoldCoastGirl
    @goldcoastgirl

I’m no expert on Mt Isa however it seems whilst it is a good place to invest that alot of the really good investments up there are now gone. I said seems… there may still be some good CF+ properties available up there.

I would suggest visiting the place yourself as you will be able to ‘see’ that whilst it is a huge mining town.. it does have its problems.

Alot of the miners are flown in/out from Townsville as not everyone wants to live in Mt Isa (and since I have visited there once I can understand why… not much to do up there..not much at all).

:) Wishing everyone radiant health!
    Vanessa

4 out of 5 Taste Buds Surveyed Preferred > http://url123.com/wa2ev
    For Australians Only > http://got.to/liveafunlife

Profile photo of salacioussalacious
    @salacious
    Profile photo of reelygood1reelygood1
    Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Salacious,
    Thought this might interest you https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forum/topic/23311.html

Don

djr

@salacious

Thanks reallygood1,

Seems that their is a large housing shortage. Prices should continue rising, but i dont think they could get as high as places like Emerald. But then again its hard to predict these things.( i see Cloncurry is Going a bit silly to)

Dom [biggrin]

Profile photo of Gerry GGerry G
    @gerry-g

Dom,

Gotta agree with GoldCoastGirl – Vanessa hits the nail on the head. The gold in them there hills is being drawn, sure, but the properties on offer on the whole are housing for employees. The tirany of distance will always be a negative and you MUST understand the market you are trying to attract – or indeed the market that will force itself onto you.

Plenty of areas in Qld that will be easier to manage from your point of view and be quicker to flip.

@salacious

Gerry,

I would not predict what might happen in the future in the area, Gold coast girl has some good points but their is also room for growth , and i beleive prices may double. ( not predicting when though)

Cheers
    Dom

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Salacious,
    Some info for yourself and anyone else thinking of buying in Mount Isa, a 3 bedroom house in good condition is now renting for $280.00 – $300.00 a week, I know this because I keep in contact with my property manager.
    Mount Isa City Council just sold first stage of housing block development $50,000-$90,000 each, i believe in one day, 2nd stage is looking good after 1st auction.

Houses for rent are in short supply, more units available for rent than houses, waiting times to find a tenant for a house is not long.

Hope this helps with your decision in investing in the town.

Cheers
    Don

djr

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Salacious,
    Some info for yourself and anyone else thinking of buying in Mount Isa, a 3 bedroom house in good condition is now renting for $280.00 – $300.00 a week, I know this because I keep in contact with my property manager.
    Mount Isa City Council just sold first stage of housing block development $50,000-$90,000 each, i believe in one day, 2nd stage is looking good after 1st auction.

Houses for rent are in short supply, more units available for rent than houses, waiting times to find a tenant for a house is not long.

Hope this helps with your decision in investing in the town.

Cheers
    Don

djr

@salacious

Hi everyone,

Just catching up on what is happening in the ISA , it seems that the rental situation is very tight and an average 2 bedroom unit is attracting around $220-$240 per week. Lately i have been fowlloing some of the sales and they are still climbing and many properties dont stay on the market long.Rental returns seem to jump up every couple of months and some houses are renting at $1000 a week.( so the agent tells me. I have seen four sets of blok units sell whithin a week.

I have been informed that the mine is looking for imigrants to fill positions .
    Since watching the sixty minute segment on western australia it sems that the rescourse boom may go on for years.
    I have one property which is doing quiet well in the Isa and i have made an offer on a second.Hope to make millions.

Dom
    [oneeyed]

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Dom,
    Have to agree its going gang busters, I get the local paper delivered to Brisbane so as to keep up to date with local news. So much is happening in the area, I can’t see it slowing down for a long time. I had one of our properties valued last month we bought a year ago for $400k , valuation from bank $600k, rents are rising also.
    Don

djr

@salacious

Well done reallygood1 thats a great valuation what do you think the sales price must be then, because banks normally undervalue property?

Dom [biggrin]

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Dom,
    Arranging sale of 2 properties after subdivision for $655K to tenants in the next couple of months, hoping to move onto duplex project in Isa after that which has been approved on another property we have. How is your project going in Isa? First house has started in the new estate.
    Don

djr

@salacious

Don,

You must be really busy. I have a 3*3 bedroom duplex i bought about 3 years ago for $135,000.The current rent is $220 each side up originally from $120 when i first bought them.( valued @ $300,000)
    I have made an offer on a block of units and awaiting reply.
    Don do you buy land and build and onsell or do you have a mixture? Is this a full time job for you?
    Pm me if you want to keep details private.

Dom [biggrin]

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Dom,
    Pm sent.
    Don

djr

@salacious

Hello,

Is anyone here buying or sniffing oout in Mount Isa?

Dom [biggrin]

@salacious

Hello,

Is anyone here buying or sniffing oout in Mount Isa?

Dom [biggrin]

Profile photo of RavtownRavtown
    @ravtown

Hello Salacious,

I live in Mount Isa and totally agree with your optimism for the town. at least for the next 5 years.

It is perhaps time that vanessa updated her information sources ,as Xstrata the major employer here has a strict residental policy. you want to work for them you live here. A policy which has really turned things around in terms of the feel of the place.

Supporting contractors however can fly their workers in from whereever they like.

Most people I come into contact with are genuinely enjoying living here, albeit usually for a short time, anywhere from 2-4 years especially among the professional staff. As a community there is plenty going on if you keep your ear to the ground. A daily (perhaps twice daily ) Qantas service to Brisbane is handy and is usually keeps any homesick cityslickers sane.

Lack of shopping facilities is the main complaint, lack of coast line the next one and thirdly concern for schooling and social direction for teenagers.

Cloncurry, I am not really up to date on, except to suggest that there is a hell of a lot of speculation in the real estate market due to suggestions of immenent action on the mining front. The projects closest to becoming a reality are over 80km from cloncurry and most workers won’t want to be travelling over 160km a day to work even if it is by bus. 12 hr day plus travel, I don’t think so.

cheers

rav

Participant
    @reelygood1

Hi Guys,
    I saw a duplex in Mount Isa just listed on internet 2 weeks ago and rang agent straight away as it was listed for $295k and was renovated bringing in $560.00 a week. First to ring was me and offered $290K, agent rings back in the next hour and says they have had multiple offers, whats your highest offer, so I offer full price and and was told I had best offer. Next 24 hours waiting for vender to sign contract, I had that feeling that something was not right GUT FEELING. Agent finally tracks down vendor and you guessed it decided not to sell as they thought it must be to cheap. Apparently this is happening a lot in Mount Isa and agents are frustrated.

Don

djr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.