All Topics / Value Adding / Cost of Apartment Reno

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of stephencampbellstephencampbell
    @stephencampbell

Hi all,

We’ve just purchased a fairly standard 2-bed unit, with a view to renovating. Roughly, how much would you expect to pay a tradesman (supply, install and project manage) for the following :-

New mid-range kitchen, new mid-range bathroom, wood/tile/vinyl flooring throughout, paint thoughout.

Grateful for your views.

Stephen [biggrin]

Profile photo of Harley2Harley2
    @harley2

Stephen,
    I suggest that you measure up the areas that you have, price the materials, then calculate the rate at which a tradesman can work. A helpful source for this would be a book called “Flipping Properties” by Bronchick and Dhalstrom (page 111). Use a labour rate that reflects the cost of hiring the tradesman to come up with a total cost.

Harley

Profile photo of stephencampbellstephencampbell
    @stephencampbell

Thanks for that Harley. Will look it up. [hair2]

Profile photo of doogdoog
    @doog

Hi stephencampbell,
    Kitchen can be about 5-10 k depending on size,
    electrics, plumbing etc, bathrooms bout the same. Flooring can be from $25-50 pr m2 to buy and as a rule of thumb about the same to install, timber polishing aprox $20 pr m2 on top.

I can put you on to a good reno guy if u are in Melbourne, he will give you a better idea of cost and ways to save, just let me know if u need.

all the best, doog.

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Well with the tiling I always do my own buying of the tiles and take them to site, then pay the same guy the showrom recommends but a “cash price” of $25/mtr to lay and not the store price of $35/mtr for the same job.

This is in Qld though.

Bunnings sell kit kitchens if you have time, inclination and are close enough to do yourself.

Good Luck

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of philmmphilmm
    @philmm

Hi Stephen

A few years ago the Archicentre had a guide of trade prices …. which give full estimates pluming, electrics, fencing etc…. assume that they still have it … well worth getting

Cheers
    Phil

@stephencampbell

Thanks for that Phil. Thanks to those others who replied also.

stephen

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

hi Stephen,

auction clearance centres are fantastic for ktichen and bathroom fittings. If you have time to go back a few weekends in a row you can save 50% of the cost of both rooms.

try and get a fixed price for labour up front.

cheers

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of think positivethink positive
    Participant
    @think-positive

Hi Stephen,

Have you considered getting a builder to do the entire job as they may supply everything and project manage? The cost can often be the same as if you were to get in a whole lot of different tradespeople. A quote from several builders would also give you a good comparison. Make sure you get a clear answer on time frames and cost . It may also help if you pay the builder weekly while the job is in progress as this may assist to keep the job to schedule.

Margaret

@stephencampbell

Thanks Margaret.[exhappy]

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Cordell Building Publications have a trade prices guide they put out. You can calculate how many square mtrs of what and then there are tables to accurately estimate each job.

Might help.

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.