All Topics / Value Adding / Polishing up old floorboards

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of AAnnaAAnna
    Participant
    @aanna

Hey All

I am just chasing any info you might have in relation to how to go about polishing up old floorboards if we were to do it ourselves.

We are looking to make a decision as to whether we polish up the floorboards or recarpet in an IP and are just commencing our research.

If anyone has any tips as to how to go about it, potential costs involved and things to avoid/potential problems to be aware of I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks

Anna

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Floorboards look hot but deteriote if a soft timber.

Cheap sisal carpet looks OK and wears well.

For renting I would go either way. For selling I would go the polished timber.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of nazzysmithnazzysmith
    @nazzysmith

Just polished floor boards in our IP. In all honestly having seen the floors freshly polished, they look unreal.
    Just make sure that your boards are in ok condition.
    For my IP polishing worked out to 16 dollars a m2 Paying somone else to do it.This Worked out cheaper than carpet, with a much better finish.

-Thomas

“More Time To Snowboard”

Profile photo of WylieWylie
    @wylie

Personally, I’d go the polished floorboards. I would never attempt it myself though. All credit to those who have, but a close relative who was a real estate agent for many years said she had seen some really ordinary do-it-yourself jobs which detract rather than add to value of a house.

For the work involved, heavy machinery, stinky fumes, it is very cheap to have it done by a professional, in my opinion anyway.

Wylie.

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I was going to DIY our floors. My neighbour did and invited me in to see his work.

I immediately hired a professional and paid $800 compared to the $300 he spent on hire and sandpaper, polyurethane etc.

His job was a mess with all sorts of marks and gouges. He hadn’t even punched down the nails and had bright silver spots throughout.

I don’t think this is an area I would scrimp on.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

I did it myself once years ago in a misguided attempt to save money.
    Never, ever again.
    It’s a tough job and it’s really easy to stuff it up. And when you stuff it up on a softwood (pine) floor in particular, it’s tragic.
    The big belt sander in particular can get away from you. But perhaps the machines are lighter and more idiot friendly these days? I’ve told this story before:
    A mate of mine (bit of a dill) did the floors years ago at his family holiday house. He started up the big belt sander, lowered it to the floor, it grabbed and took off across the room straight out through the fibro wall. To make matters even worse, his car was parked right outside. Wish I’d seen it.

Tax Depreciation Schedules
    Australia wide service
    1300 660033
    [email protected]
    http://www.depreciator.com.au

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Got to agree with all of the above. Done floors myself and Scott, have put a belt sander through a wall myself!!!!! Admitedly, not my fault as the handle was faulty from the hire mob but I looked pretty funny standing there with the handle is my hand looking through a hole in the wall!

This is one area where the professionals should be called in. For the time, effort and finish, these guys do it every day and the cost is not that much more!

Profile photo of Rookie DeveloperRookie Developer
    @rookie-developer

DO NOT EVER DIY FLOOR SANDING!!!

We did our house & it nearly ended in divorce (& we weren’t even married then!!)

too hard & too cheap to get someone else to do

TroynBec

The ducks are flying closer to home!!!!

[email protected]

Profile photo of 30563056
    Participant
    @3056

What a great thread! Informative and very humorous![biggrin]

Profile photo of lattamlattam
    @lattam

Hey,

I haven’t actually tried sanding and polishing, but if you want to learn how, Bunnings have free work shops that are very informative.

The price will depend alot on whether you use acrylic or oil based coating. The acrylic is alot more expensive, but it leaves comparatively little smell and dries much faster. If you are getting a professional to do it, I would recommend you ask what type of coating they use.

It will costs around $100 per day to hire the sanders. All up, you would probably be looking at $8-$10 per square meter for materials (less for oil based). Roughly double it if you get it professionally done.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of lattamlattam
    @lattam

Hey,

I haven’t actually tried sanding and polishing, but if you want to learn how, Bunnings have free work shops that are very informative.

The price will depend alot on whether you use acrylic or oil based coating. The acrylic is alot more expensive, but it leaves comparatively little smell and dries much faster. If you are getting a professional to do it, I would recommend you ask what type of coating they use.

It will costs around $100 per day to hire the sanders. All up, you would probably be looking at $8-$10 per square meter for materials (less for oil based). Roughly double it if you get it professionally done.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Dave LDave L
    @dave-l

DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!
    Tried it myself also and I have a construction background. Did a large laundry with timber floor and it was a very average job spent a long time trying to get it right go with the professionals for sure.

Dave

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

hi anna, will have to disagree with the others on this occassion-but if you are worried if you have the right stuff to get through the job lift the old floor coverings in one room and punch all the nails and putty the holes – this is the worst put of the job so if you can get through that maybe give it a shot – best to try and learn these sorts of skills on your rentals rather than on a property for resale. You will probably save about 2k by doing it yourself which does not sound like much but if you are just starting out may go a long way eg you could buy all the paint inside and out for a home with some change left over.

cheers

I Buy Property http://www.cashflowproperties.co.nz

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of AAnnaAAnna
    Participant
    @aanna

WOW, thank you all so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts and suggestions. I certainly now have a ‘heads up’ on things I need to consider when weighing up the pros and cons of DIY floorboard polishing.

Cheers

Anna

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.