All Topics / Help Needed! / Thesis Topic

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Benny MBenny M
    Participant
    @benny-m

Hi there,

Im currently doing my thesis to complete my degree in construction management. I must have a topic chosen by early next week. Mine is going to have more of a property focus rather than construction focus as I am trying to get recognition by the API. As a thesis topic Im mainly interested in 2 areas, however only the first one falls under uni guidelines for thesis topics, so will probably have to go through this strand. Areas are:
    1. Medium density housing/development in regional NSW (i.e anywhere but Sydney).
    2. The financial potential for value adding, renovating and refurbishing to Australian Property.

Currently the topic Ive half developed is “The planning approval system and its effect on medium density residential development”, and it would cover items such as comparing the time taken to get MDH approval compared to other developments such as detached houses, which could help explain the effect of planning on MDH in a measurable way. E.g. affordability of MDH is unnecessarily reduced by virtue of the holding costs associated with time lag on land that has been purchased, but cannot be built on until approval is granted.

However, Id like to consider a few different options. My supervisor said I should ask people that I work with and those in the industry what they feel needs to be researched more and what may make for interesting study. So, if anyone out there can think of something that they feel is under researched or would be an interesting thesis topic id love to hear it and would be very appreciative of your input. Can be anything to do with medium density housing or development.

Cheers,
    Ben

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

Hi Ben,

When I completed my Engineering degree, I was looking at interesting and unusal topics for my thesis. One that I scrapped is as follows and you will see for obvious reasons. I was watching The Sopranos and got to thinking about Mobsters tendancies to hide bodies in mass concrete footings during construction. I got to thinking from an Engineering perspective, what effect would this have on the strength of the concrete and are building over in Chicago etc likely to be impaired.

Ultimately, I went on to do my thesis on Demand Management Strategies for water supply, predominantly in greywater reuse. Not as cool a topic but ultimately a lot more palatable!!

I still think water supply alternatives to the residential market is something which deserves more attention. Maybe a topic on retrofitting water conservation mechanisms to existing residential properties.

Profile photo of Benny MBenny M
    Participant
    @benny-m

Thanks for that Jhopper

Funny that, I too often wonder the effect on concrete and building structure when a body is thrown in the footing (I also think ive watched too many mob movies).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.