All Topics / Value Adding / Colour Ideas Needed on 1st Reno

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of richteddyrichteddy
    @richteddy

Hi All

Looking for thoughts and suggestions from those who may have been there done that but really open to all ideas.

Just purchasing 1st REAL reno [thumbsupanim](other reno activitiy was painting and decorating 1 bedroom of PPOR and that doesn’t count in my books) – 2 bed unit Manoora Cairns. BUY-RENO-SELL job.

There appears to be little that can be salvaged from the originals internals – so starting with blank canvas idea.
    My thoughts are if you get the colour scheme idea sorted first the rest will flow.

Some Info on the Unit just to put you guys in picture what we are working with
    – 8 pack
    – top floor over looks ok pool
    – North/South Aspect -balcony faces north
    – 70m2
    – rectangle shaped unit
    – walk into unit – look straight into kitchen, to the left rest of unit length combined lounge dining leading out to 3 x 1.5m balcony.
    – walk through doorwayfrom lounge/dining to hall, bathroom/laundry to right(directly behind kitchen) bedroom 2 directly in front, and bedroom 1 to left.
    – Purchasers most likely couple/single getting 1st home or entry into investment – mid to lower end of unit market range.

Prob is the partner in crime of this activity (boyfiend) wants the terracotta look with a touch of blue (WOW, warmth, OOMPH factors) where I am swaying to the lighter stone colours(neutral, majority appeal, blank canvas for new owner to add individual touches of colour factors) {also the suggestion from the professionals in the carpet, tile, bathroom and kitchen stores- IN THING}[confused2]

Though we do have agreement on an overall white bathroom with a touch of colour.[specool]

There will most likely be lots of other problems to ask about but we will start with this.
    So any thoughts and advise greatly appreciated.

Diane
    aka
    Richteddy

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Hi Diane,

Blue – Yuck !! Go nuteral colours !!
    Others have already done the work for you. Go and have a look at some new developments in the area, Trinity etc and see what is being done in those units. Have a look at the colour schemes being used, there are a few different ones , but you will noticed that the majority have used very nuteral, earthy colours. There are a lot more darker woods being introduced also, in a much lighter rooms.

Mal

Getting out of your comfort zone, can help you become comfortable

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

For a reno-sell, go the boring neutrals. Creams, in other words. Sure, a small percentage of prospective buyers will appreciate a bold colour scheme, but most people have very bland taste, and very little imagination. At most, a single ‘feature wall’ in the living area is the most they can handle.
    Cheers, F.

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

hi – dulux has a range called directions in white – can’t go to far wrong just mixing a matching off that chart. Best thing is that they also mix into each other so that excess paint can be poured into the others to make new colours that are similar or to tint the undercoat a bit – no waste

cheers

Positive Cashflow NZ Property Deals.Email to receive current deals & Free New Zealand Information Sheet [email protected]

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of AmandaBSAmandaBS
    Participant
    @amandabs

Dulux also have out a series of “perfect Schemes” that show you what colour will go with what. ($10 from paint shops)
    We’re currently using “Buff It” with a “White on White” glossy trim.

Amanda
    “It is better to be inconspicuously wealthy, than to be ostentatiously poor…”

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

amanda – have you tried using the matt enamel in trim – seems to be popular in new homes at the moments

Positive Cashflow NZ Property Deals.Email to receive current deals & Free New Zealand Information Sheet [email protected]

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of mikeCmikeC
    @mikec

Visit some local display homes/developments to see what colours/textures/techniques the pros are using to get business. And boring nuetral colours definately have a broader appeal.

Mike

Always Ready.

Profile photo of ayenayen
    Participant
    @ayen

Hi,

If you contact Dulux they have “colour consultants” who are trained to pick colour schemes. When my wife suggested we use one for one of our major reno’s a few years ago I thought she was wasting our money. But the cost was only about $200 and you got a $200 voucher for the purchase of Dulux paints.

We didn’t use the voucher but the consultant was worth her advice 5 times over. Not only did we have a full scheme for the entire house (including some feature walls and outside stonework) but she worked out how much paint of each colour we needed and gave us some advice on how best to put the paint on the walls in some of the more challenging parts (I thought I knew how to paint!). This advice saved excess paint and saved lots of timewasting and arguing. What is more the result was FANTASTIC. We never would have used the colours she chose (a mixture of greys, browns, off whites and white for a weatherboard/stone house) but the result worked.

I have since spoken with renovators who haven’t had quite as good an experience as us – but we would use the service again if repainting an entire house, or most of one.

Good luck,

Andrew

Profile photo of richteddyrichteddy
    @richteddy

Thanks for all the advise, have convinced the other half about the stone/neutral colours so all is going well, can’t wait to get started,[thumbsup2] which is a couple of weeks away.

Rich Teddy

Profile photo of allymacallymac
    Participant
    @allymac

Antique white USA all over Dulux (I Think!)

Participant
    @allymac

Participant
    @allymac

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Im going to buck the trend. With so many units and townhouses carbon copy vanilla colours, I went a bot rad and did Taubmans Mayellan which is a blue for all walls top to bottom in one of my townhouses. White doors and trims and the first couple to walk in(as I was finishing the trim), the wife said “wow, nice to see a good cloour. Leased it for 12 months then moved to another one 100 yards away when they needed a garage.

That one i went totally off the wall and did Taubmans “Acid Rock” a very in your face green, again with gloss enamel doors and trims. Came up perfectly for the couple of young people now living there(know your target market), again with a long lease.

I have also done 2 vanilla townhouses with Lemon Chiffon walls and double strength Lemon Chiffon doors and trims for one, and the other with British Paints “butter” walls and a gloss enamel trim and door set in mixed cream( 4 mistints well mixed together to be cheeky, and boy did it work well). Enough left to do next reno trims and doors too.

It is all perspective and choice, so have fun making yours.

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

And you bought in Manoora…..no wonder its a reno and flick.

Very colourful place indeed.

Good Luck

DD

Buyers Agent (Dip Financial Services(FP)
    Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

Profile photo of buonoinvestbuonoinvest
    Participant
    @buonoinvest

If you are still unsure about what neutral colours to use or the best eature wall colour, ask a colour consultant – there are at least 3 listed in the Yellow pages in the Cairns district
    Good luck!

Profile photo of richteddyrichteddy
    @richteddy

Reno is well under way. Having an absolute ball doing it even though going home filthy and sweat. Boyfriend is also having a great time and thinking seriously of doing this maybe full time. Thanks for all your ideas, the stone neutral colours are looking fab with brush chrome fittings. Didn’t realize that painting the ceilings would make such a difference even before the wall colours went on.[specool]

DD – Did the double strength thing with the wall paint for the doors and trims just the right idea.

Having found a couple of odd things when clear out for this first reno – was thinking of starting a thread where people say what the most interesting/ strange things they have found during renovations bet there are lots of stories out there.

Plus have 2 rules for newbee renoers
    – Don’t go overboard with the spac filler as it takes forever to sand off.

NUMBER 1 RULE
    – Check all doors and locks work while someone else is still around. (Got locked in the bathroom – broken lock – for 20 minutes before neighbour came to my rescue – they had to come up over the balcony as I had also locked the front door.)

Reno Richteddy
    [thumbsup2]

Profile photo of bradjebradje
    Participant
    @bradje

Steve and Daves reno of their Ringwood Flats is also a good video to watch on this site.

JB

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

We repaint 2+ houses per week and of those 80% would use the same colours.

Unit Interior: (low ceilings and small)
    Ceilings – “White” Flat or “Antique White USA” (Dulux) Flat
    Walls – “Antique White USA” (Dulux) Lowsheen to rent or Matt to Sell
    Woodwork – “Antique White USA” (Dulux) Semi-gloss enamel

House Interior:
    Ceilings – “Antique White USA” Flat
    Walls – “Antique White USA” (Dulux) Lowsheen to rent or Matt to Sell
    Woodwork – “Antique White USA” (Dulux) 200% OR White Semi-gloss enamel.

Exterior:
    Walls – “Self Destruct” (Dulux)
    Windows and Doors – Light or White or Black Gloss enamel.

Regards
    Mark

“Ut sementem feeceris”
    “You reap what you sow”

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of chpropdevchpropdev
    Participant
    @chpropdev

I know you’ve started painting but here are my tips:

1) A very neutral light beige for the walls, white for the ceilings, and antique white for the trim. I do this in all my houses.

2) Don’t mess around changing colour schemes in all your “standard” places. It just takes up to much time.

3) Do all walls in old houses flat as a tack matt. Hides all those lumps in the plaster work.

4) Do all the rooms the same colour – bar the bathroom which should always be sparkling white (with a splash of colour in the tiles – I normally use bumpy whites with maybe a beige mosaic trim – very cheap and looks good). Using one colour throughout makes that small house look bigger.

5) Buy your paint in large qunatities from a good trade supplier. It’s cheaper, and “yes” you will use up all the left overs as your next house will be the same colour. Dulux paint is expensive and no better than Solver for example. Trade shops also know what they are talking about and will give good advice. Bunnings do not know their arse from their elbow.

6) Buy one of those edger pads with roller wheels on the side to do the cutting in. They are the dogs and will save you hours.

7) If you rent property, then keep that left over paint. A bit of a touch up here and there is a lot cheaper than starting again when the tenant moves out.

8) Use lots of masking tape. If you aren’t a pro, you will need it. Nothing looks worse than overpainted windows etc.. Remove the tape within an hour of painting. Also, buy a razor paint shaver to remove drips on windows.

9) If you are sanding floors you can be a bit sloppy where the skirts meet the floor as the sander will remove the paint but don’t be sloppy in the corners as the sander can’t reach! Quad also hides any splashes.

10) If you’re putting down new tile or lino in the wet areas (or indeed carpet anywhere – although I hate carpet as it costs money), paint the skirts beforehand. The new tile or “Bronx marble” will hide your haste.

Hope that helps somebody.

Andy

Profile photo of TheresaTheresa
    @theresa

Hi,
    long time since I answered a post but thought I needed to add my 2 cents worth.
    We bought a queenslander about 2 yrs ago which had many different coloured walls (including some texta) We went to an interior designer, cost of $250, She did colours for inside and out and they were brilliant. Inside coco creme and Keepsake Dulux and white ceilings. Go with the professionals. Good luck.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.