All Topics / Help Needed! / Buying property unseen.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of seanjseanj
    @seanj

Their are good property deals all over Australia so what should you do if their are good deals interstate but you can’t get to see them physically?

I live in Sydney which is probably the worst place to look for CF+ property but research shows opportunities much further afield.

Does anyone have experience buying unseen or have tips or caveats about doing this?

Profile photo of crushercrusher
    Participant
    @crusher

Hi Sean,

Yes, I have recently successfully purchased sight unseen 3 times. I would not recommend doing it on your first investment purchase and if you want to do it on your second then you need to be extremely thorough. Research is my thing because I use to be a Crime Intelligence Analyst but if you do not have a research background please understand that there are lot of T’s to cross an I’s to dot before you can come close to being as confident as you would by seeing a property first hand.

Having said that, sight unseen is a heck of a lot easier now with the advantages of the internet and I am setting up my new website to provide as many internet research tools as possible but there’s still a lot more to go on there yet so don’t think that there’s all the information there to do it.

There are are a lot of things you have to get others to do. You have to get lots of photos, check, cross check , check again and make sure you use reliable professionals to do the relevant work for you. Obviously some people will see a sight unseen purchase as an opportunity to rip you off so the due diligence has to be as thorough as possible. My wife keeps telling me to write a book on it but I am too busy sitting here writing forum posts.

Todd Burns
    http://www.freepropertyhelp.com.au

Profile photo of RobAdeRobAde
    @robade

I recently bought my 1st investment property unseen, but I did use a buyers agents and I could be more than happier. I flew down to Australia after it settled and I am very pleased with the results.

Profile photo of learnsharelearnshare
    @learnshare

I think for a beginner it’s hard to feel comfortable for buying a property unseen.
    Margaret Lomas, in her book, ‘A pocket guide to investing in Positive cash flow property’ gives 20 checkpoints to safely buy something unseen.

Cheers,

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi L & S,

That is a very good point you make.

Buying an investment property is often hard enough – to go somewhere out of the comfort zone is another challenge to an individual’s state of mind.

For some it is relatively easy, for others impossible.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958
    Skype – derekjones2113

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

nah, get on a plane and do the hard yards. lots of places look and feel good on paper, some of them are simply trash. your choice and your money.

cheers

brahms
    Purveyor of Fine Finances
    aka Mortgage Broker Brisbane

Profile photo of ryanntryannt
    @ryannt

the expense involved in getting to the desired destination is tax deductible anyway, as long as that is the property that you have purchased.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Ryan,

The first trip (prior to purchase) is not deductible rather the expense can be claimed against as purchasing costs and used to offset any capital gains tax liability in the future.

If on the other hand you visited after purchase this trip is deductible under most circumstances.

Derek
    [email protected]
    http://www.pis.theinvestorsclub.com.au
    0409 882 958
    Skype – derekjones2113

Profile photo of gtphysiogtphysio
    @gtphysio

to Seanj
    my wife and i live in Sydney. We have invested in nth west coast tassie. 1 of our 4 properties was sight unseen as the tennant made it very diff. to get in. We got a bit of a bargain 55k and the rent is 100 per week. That is the good stuff. The bldg report was 10 lines long covering nothing. The woodheater was stufed and a structural wall needs rebuiding and recladding. Thats the risk of sight unseen.
    The other risk which few people consider is the neighbors. You can’t tell from a picture if tne nextdoor guy is a pyscho with 2 german shepherds. My advice is do the homework before and godown and see.
    regards gtphysio[biggrin]

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

HI all. Interested in Gtphysios comments. What part of NW Tassie did you buy in? I’m guessing Rosebery or Queenstown at that price. The real estate guys that cover those areas I found don’ t seem overly interested in the first place, which is why I ask. None seem interested in even going out of their way to send more than one picture, and expect you to buy on that – yeah right….We bought our 2nd prop in Burnie sight unseen, which we did after finding and using previously an excellent builder to do the prop inspections. True, a bit daunting though. As a sidepoint, the RE we dealt with, that we established a bit if a repoire with, said it surprises him how many (especially locals) do not even think of getting a building report done. [strum] Oh, and while it has been no drama, in all fairness, other than if using a trusted buyers agent, who pumps photos off like a madman/woman to email you/us something to look at, I don’t think we would do it this way again,,,,

Profile photo of propertypowerpropertypower
    @propertypower

Hi seanj
    You can use the services of a buyers agency to minimise the risk. I have bought couple of properties without actually visiting the property and can’t really complain about my investments.
    Regards and good luck,
    Sanjiv

“There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

Its really easy to buy a property sight unseen ,
    but its really hard to get the best possible deal sight unseen.You really need to go to the place and get on the ground and do all yr research. You end up learning all sorts of things you never would from the computer or phone, and often find deals from talking to locals.It is worth the effort.

Also you feel like you have really achieved something when u have done all yr research and then got on to some bargains!

“I have a theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same.”
    – Rachel Scott(16 yr old killed in columbine shooting 1999)http://www.racheljoyscott.com/

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.