All Topics / Value Adding / Property Developments in Footscray

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi all,

I am considering doing a residential development (sub-division + 2-3 townhouses/units) in Footscray, or neighbouring areas such as West Footscray, Seddon, Yarraville or Kingsville. I am yet to purchase a parcel of land, but currently looking for sites (with existing property) that could potentially be developed.

Has anyone had any experience doing sub-divisions or residential developments in The City of Maribyrnong? If so, I’d be grateful if you could give me some pointers on what to look for, potential pitfalls, costs, etc….

I’ve spoken to a Planning Officer at the council who has given me a brief overview of what I can and can’t do. Basically the most important things she said to keep in mind were:

– Don’t buy anything which has a Heritage Overlay as it may be difficult getting planning approval.

– The size/dimensions of the land will determine the number/size of dwellings permitted, however there isn’t a minimum lot size when it comes to sub-dividing.

– Other things that may determine the applications approval is amount of living space, natural lighting, shading over other properties, how the design fits in with existing neighbourhood character, etc… but I’m assuming this is where a good architect comes into play.

– The council prefers front-and-back type developments as opposed to side-by-side. The reason being is they don’t want little boxy houses being put up with huge garages that dominate the street appeal of the properties.

Is there anything else that I should look out for?

Also, if anyone can recommend an architect/draftsman and land surveyor who has had considerable experience with The City of Maribyrnong, please let me know. I’m looking forward to hearing your comments.

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

Hi ozi
    I know the area well as well as Hobson’s Bay council. They are valid points to consider and would be exactly what I would advise. Also obviously be careful of where the easements (if any) are and what direction there are pointing. This will have a huge bearing on your purchase and what you can fit on. As Martin Ayles jokes, “you can put absolutely anything over an easement… so long as it’s NOT a dwelling!”. Carports/garages/driveways are usually ok over most easements, but seek pro advice.

My designer/draftsman’s name is Benni from Achieve Design group in Newport (Ph: (03) 9391 0166 or http://www.achievedesign.com.au ) he does a lot of work in this region. He can guide through the steps and stages. Because he knows I am a serious developer (and not going to waste his time) he has even come an viewed several properties with me at the time (no charge), to tell me what he can and can’t fit on there.

good luck
    Cheers
    Brett (0419-849-534)

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi Brett,

Thank you for your input. I did speak to the Council Planning Officer briefly about easements. All I was told is to build over an easement, I must get written permission from the underlying authorities. This is something I will look into further if the property has any easements.

I appreciate you providing Benni’s details. I will check out the website and get in contact with him soon.

Regards,
    Ozi

Profile photo of HutchHutch
    Participant
    @hutch

no worries,
    I live in Yarraville so let me know how it all goes.
    i’m sure you will learn new things that i would love to hear about.

Cheers
    Brett

Profile photo of oziozi
    @ozi

Hi Brett,

No problems. I’ll let you know how I go. If its ok with you, I might give you a call sometime soon to talk further.

Regards,
    Ozi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.