Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of gavinhgavinh
    @gavinh

I went to Martin Ayles workshop last weekend, it was money well spent IMO.

Looking over the workbook this week I noticed that one of his development examples was to divide the existing property into community titles(2 semi detached dwellings). The topic of titles was not covered on the day. So my question is why would he use community titles over torrens titles?. Are they easier to get approved? I always thought that a torrens title added value to a property?. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
    Gavin

Profile photo of gavinhgavinh
    @gavinh

c’mon someone must have an insight about this.

At the very least could somebody please point me in the direction of where I could find out info about what is the approprriate use of the various different titles in different situations. There must be a website with this info somewhere?

Thanks
    Gavin

Profile photo of Harley2Harley2
    @harley2

Gavin,
    It might depend on where you are, but Comm Title is cheaper to do than Torrens, and requrements for provision of services can be different. EG CT you can have a single and common services connection which is then split within the property. TT must have own individual service connections to each property.
    It all means $$s.
    Talk around with your council and LTO. They will help.

Harley

@gavinh

Thanks for the reply Harley,

This will probalbly sound naieve but what is an LTO?

Profile photo of BattleshipsBattleships
    Participant
    @battleships

Hi Gavin
    My guess LTO= Local Titles Office.
    Some thouughts on title- Community titles (I think)are linked- you can control who your neighbours are..- could be an advantage-BUT your neighbour can decide who you can sell to also.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers

Profile photo of jnistedjnisted
    @jnisted

I’m looking at Community Titling a block of units I’ve just bought. I’ll be talking to a surveyor shortly so will be able to fill in more detail, but what I know at the moment is that Community Title is a bit like Torrens (although some common property) in that the units can then be sold individually. I think you can only do it where the units are on one level (as mine are) otherwise you have to go Strata Title. My units are in SA, so not sure if things are different there.

I will post more information as I get it.

Participant
    @battleships
    Participant
    @battleships

Hi Gavin

You can ignore my first post – it was about Company title. Ups.

Cheers

@gavinh

Thanks battleships that info is helpful.
    Gavin

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

Hi Gavin,

I also went to Martin’s workshop and thought it great value.

After speaking to my local Council’s town planner here in NSW I have found that Community Title as outlined by Martin is specific to SA. She also tells me that each state will be individual in this respect… so it really depends on where you are developing.

The Land Titles Office is probably the best place to do this kind of research and I’m thinking it is about time I did some myself…

Good Luck,
    Sonja

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.