All Topics / Help Needed! / virtual kickstart

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr

Is anyone else in a similar position as me? Steve has email links to this great motivation stuff, and goal setting stuff, and I’m stuck reducing comsumer debt.

On the upside.. next pay I will have one store card paid off just before its interest free period expires. Then my debts are ~2600 on an ANZ credit card, ~4000 on a loan that was a consolidation of other cards, ~14000 on a vehicle loan and ~173000 on a 180k unit my partner and I have bought to live in.

I figure that once the ~2600 card and the ~4000 loan are payed off that my borrowing capacity will be much better (on approx 49k a year)

In terms of Steves 7 day 30 day etc plans, all I can think of is, stick to my budget, keep paying down debt as much as possible and dont spend any more than I need to on living…

Anyone else at the same stage of non readiness for investing as I am?

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Mate – we al lwere at that stage once.

Once you knock those debts over then start paying the same amount into your offset or redraw account. Very soon your equity will build to a point where there is a deposit just waiting for you to use.

Then you have two properties working for you plus your income. Next deposit is even easier.

I have a bit of a strategy for debt treduction – nothing startling and nothing new but if you are interested drop me an email. It is about time I got it down on paper and out to people. I am not selling anything nor do I want anything in return. Just like seeing people reduce non deductible debt.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of EnthusiasticEnthusiastic
    @enthusiastic

Hi voigtstr,

I know exactly how you feel. My husband and I are very keen to invest but we are also trying to pay off debt and my sister is getting married in April and we have to travel to Europe for the wedding which is going to get us further into debt! We are being very diligent and every month we pay off a chunk and the end is in site in July but it has been very frustrating seeing all our “potential investing/savings” money go to servicing debt – we immigrated to Sydney, Australia in April last year with a back pack on our back and it has taken a bit of time and money to set ourselves up we are nearly there so hopefully we can start in the 3rd quarter of this year.

I have been getting Steve’s mails too and love reading them but find it hard to get excited when I can’t doing anything right now.

Simon I am quite interested to see your debt reducing strategy, I’ll send you a mail.

Things can only get better!

Profile photo of voigtstrvoigtstr
    @voigtstr

Thank you for the replies. Initially to pay down the debts I was paying more into the account that had the highest interest. Lately I’ve been paying more into the account that had the smallest balance. The theory is, you can see the progress quicker. So I am paying the minimum payments (except on the 5 year fixed mortgage where we pay an extra 79 a fortnight) and paying the left over from the budget (minus a buffer zone for incidentals) into the account with the smallest balance. As each debt is payed off the amount that would have been paying its minimum payment is added to the next debt accerlating the rate of payment.

Re the ING 5 year fixed mortgage (it was the only way to get lenders mortgage insurance) I’m allowed to put in an extra 10k a year before they would charge break costs. If it gets to the stage where we can comfortably pay more than 10,000 / 26 a fortnight extra would the extra money be better served going into ingdirect at 5.4% or would it be better to calculate break costs to switch the loan to variable rate with an offset or a redraw.

Cheers
    Simon

Profile photo of The Mint ManThe Mint Man
    @the-mint-man

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but instead of posting a 3rd thread about Virtual kickstart I thought I would put it here.
    Anyway,
    Who noticed the size of that first vidio he wanted us to watch?
    I watched about 1/4 (if that) of it and thought to myself “I better check how much this vid is is using up”… well when I saw 200MB I stoped straight away.
    I would have really liked to watch the whole thing but at the expense of using up 1000MB and then some just a few days into the month?? I dont think so!
    I would have been cut back to about 24kbps which would have been very very fustrating when downloading the rest of the info over the next 3 and 1/2 weks, add to that my normal internet activities (business and personal) and it would have been a nightmare[grrr].
    And what about those people on plans that dont cut you back to below dial up speed, instead charging you per MB over your limit? are they in for a shock or what!
    I think it might be a good idea to label the vidios with their size.

Now does everyone have those whoping 12000MB download limits that Start at about $70 a month? OR are you in the same boat as me?
    Just for the record I would have changed my plan for the month so that I could have downloaded it had I known that this was going to be the case.
    Dont get me wrong, I will still be watching, reading etc. all the matirial that is sent to me providing the files are not a ridculous size.

Mint Man[king]

PS: Steve, I dont suppose that I could buy that vid on DVD?

Profile photo of Trade OffTrade Off
    @trade-off
    Originally posted by voigtstr:

Thank you for the replies. Initially to pay down the debts I was paying more into the account that had the highest interest. Lately I’ve been paying more into the account that had the smallest balance. The theory is, you can see the progress quicker. So I am paying the minimum payments (except on the 5 year fixed mortgage where we pay an extra 79 a fortnight) and paying the left over from the budget (minus a buffer zone for incidentals) into the account with the smallest balance. As each debt is payed off the amount that would have been paying its minimum payment is added to the next debt accerlating the rate of payment.

I would stop paying the extra 79 a fortnight off the mortgage and use it to pay off the other loans first. The interest rates will be much higher on the cc and personal loans. These are the ones you want back to zero pronto:)

cheers
    ani

http://www.tradeoff.com.au
    the new card for investors

@voigtstr
    Originally posted by Trade Off:

I would stop paying the extra 79 a fortnight off the mortgage and use it to pay off the other loans first. The interest rates will be much higher on the cc and personal loans. These are the ones you want back to zero pronto:)

cheers
    ani

http://www.tradeoff.com.au
    the new card for investors

I would do that, but my partner and I are paying off the house equally, the consumer debt is in my name only. So I’ll treat my consumer debts separately to the mortgage. Once my debts are gone I guess its time to worry about business structures and how to go about buying properties…

Profile photo of mjamja
    Participant
    @mja

The broadband version of the .flv (flash) is 194 megabytes.

— M.

Originally posted by The Mint Man:

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but instead of posting a 3rd thread about Virtual kickstart I thought I would put it here.
    Anyway,
    Who noticed the size of that first vidio he wanted us to watch?
    I watched about 1/4 (if that) of it and thought to myself “I better check how much this vid is is using up”… well when I saw 200MB I stoped straight away.
    I would have really liked to watch the whole thing but at the expense of using up 1000MB and then some just a few days into the month?? I dont think so!
    I would have been cut back to about 24kbps which would have been very very fustrating when downloading the rest of the info over the next 3 and 1/2 weks, add to that my normal internet activities (business and personal) and it would have been a nightmare[grrr].
    And what about those people on plans that dont cut you back to below dial up speed, instead charging you per MB over your limit? are they in for a shock or what!
    I think it might be a good idea to label the vidios with their size.

Now does everyone have those whoping 12000MB download limits that Start at about $70 a month? OR are you in the same boat as me?
    Just for the record I would have changed my plan for the month so that I could have downloaded it had I known that this was going to be the case.
    Dont get me wrong, I will still be watching, reading etc. all the matirial that is sent to me providing the files are not a ridculous size.

Mint Man[king]

PS: Steve, I dont suppose that I could buy that vid on DVD?

It is easy to get to the top after you get through the crowd at the bottom.
    — Zig Ziglar

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Hi voigtstr,
    Here are my thoughts on dealing with bad debt and getting things together.

Perhaps the first thing I suggest should be to cut up the theft cards, nobody needs them, if you are intelligent enough to be disciplined with repayments you are intelligent enough never to need them.
    Enough said about those evil cards.[evil4]

After paying all minimum payments on loans place what ever’s left that you can afford onto the loan of the highest interest.
    It may not look like much is happening but the figure at the end of the spreadsheet will show the results are worth it.

Have you been to your home lender to see if you can incorporate those higher loans into it to get them down into home loan rates?

Once you have done all of the above lets work on paying down the loan/s faster.
    The only way to do this is via extra payments.
    You mentioned that you have $49K a year available, have you considered a second income to help pay down the loan faster?

Or to put it another way the secrete to becoming wealthy is to have multiple income streams.
    Thus if one cuts out eg your job (just over broke) than you are cushioned by the other income streams until another income is located perhaps another (just over broke).

How does this sound income-
    1. Job.
    2. Second job.
    3. Garage sale.
    4. Side business in spare time.
    5. Charge as an industry consultant.
    6. Income return from investments, business, property, shares, options, stock etc.
    7. Sell other peoples products or services whenever you can.
    8. Loans to others (risky seek advice from legal professionals), perhaps better leave this one alone.

hope this helps Colin [cowboy2]
    ‘You don’t ‘pay the price’ for success – you enjoy the benefits of
    success’ Richard Denny.

Your friend Colin,
    Email [email protected]
    Home 02 46531376.
    Fax 0246531079
    Mobile 0425201055 (best contact as always working).
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

@voigtstr

It wouldnt be fair on my partner to dump my debt onto our mortgage.

Profile photo of 30563056
    Participant
    @3056
    Originally posted by Colin Gowan:

Perhaps the first thing I suggest should be to cut up the theft cards, nobody needs them, if you are intelligent enough to be disciplined with repayments you are intelligent enough never to need them.
    Enough said about those evil cards.[evil4]

Credit cards are not evil, it’s the people who cannot manage them that are evil! I’ve NEVER paid 1c interest on any credit card I’ve owned in my entire life. I don’t NEED one, it just makes financially good sense to have one. I automatically have my card paid off on the due date before interest kicks in. I use my card to pay all my bills and buy only what I need (with the occasional exception), enjoy the 45 days interest free loan and also get rewarded for doing it via cinema tickets, gift vouchers etc. I’m sick and tired of people advising others to cut up their cards. I’m sure there are plenty of other people like me for whom credit cards have been nothing but financially beneficial. I pay no annual fee on the card and I also own 3 pretty impressive IPs. And by the way, I still consider myself intelligent. [biggrin]

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

3056 – that advice was clearly not intended for you. You are the worst of credit card clients from a lenders perspective!

Credit cards and store cards are the number one out of control debt for the people that I help with debt reduction. It is unbelievable how much consumer debt is given to people on very low incomes. They cannot get a 7% homeloan but are showered with 16%+ credit card offers in their mail each week.

I have a HC lady earning a family income of under $35K who is $80K+ in consumer debt. But we cannot get her a loan to buy a $112K home….. even without the debt!

She consolidated once before then within three months maxed out both credit cards and three store cards. I have almost given up helping her as she will not help herself.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of flatoutflatout
    @flatout

voigtstr,

Don’t get disheartened and stay on track. Eventually you will get there. Then if you’re serious about building your wealth through investing, you won’t ever fall into the kind of debt trap again. Sure you’ll have debt but it’ll be the kind that is wealth producing such as IP mortgages. I cringe when I look back at some of the cash draining debts my partner and I have had over the years. But the funny thing is, once we started thinking about investing, researching and understanding the options we have become a lot smarter. For example:,
    – Instead of a 5 year car loan or even a secured loan at home loan rates, you could take out a salary sacrificed novated lease. Hence, you’re paying the lease in pre-tax $ not after tax $ and you don’t have to pay GST. Of course you have to get your employer to agree to this but smart employers will realise this is a great “fringe benefit” that actually costs them nothing but might encourage good employees to stick around (If you’re paying all the expenses such as fuel, rego etc in most cases this will offset any FBT liability on the employers part).
    – As for credit cards, l’d never say don’t have one because they are handy but pay it off before the interest kicks in. If you can’t, pay it off using a LOC at home loan interest rates.
    There are plenty of other ways to save $ (some not strictly above board like claiming repairs on PPOR against an IP) and I’m sure others here will have some suggestions.

Flatout.

Profile photo of 30563056
    Participant
    @3056

I understand exactly what you are saying Simon and I take your comment as a compliment. I was just trying to make the point that the problem is the card owner, not the card.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

It wouldnt be fair on my partner to dump my debt onto our mortgage.

Have a thionk through your partnership – it makes financial sense for you to pay IO on the mortgage and direct all effort into killing nondeductible debt.

As a partnership you will be financially better off doing so.

Perhaps it needs to be discussed?

All the best

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of ozsparky200319117ozsparky200319117
    @ozsparky200319117

There is another point about the evil credit card that people sometimes miss which is that if you have a card with a $10,000 limit, as an example, even if the balance is nil not only will your mortgage lender treat an application as though you are at the top of the limit bit it reduces the amount of money they will lend you by around $50,000. This can make it very evil IMHO.

Sparky

Profile photo of aliandmikealiandmike
    Participant
    @aliandmike

Hi All,

I love these forums, so many good opinions and you get to learn how others think. Like many others I think credit cards can be good and bad. In conjuction with a LOC they can be an effective debt reduction tool – so long as you are disciplined. Say you get paid $1000 per fortnight that goes in to a LOC, if you use your CC all month that $1000 is saving you interest.

But the only way to get ahead in the debt reduction game is to spend (much) less than you earn! I have seen cases similar to those Mortgage Hunter mentioned, they do the right thing by consolidating there debt and the go use there surplus funds to borrow more, some people will never get ahead.

I also agree with MH on his comment about your partnership, you’re obviously committed to each other enough to buy a home together so it you must be looking long term. It’s in both your best interests to reduce you personal debt so you can move on to bigger and better things, IMHO.

Cheers
    Mike

Profile photo of ben_1ben_1
    Participant
    @ben_1

Hi voigtstr

I am in exactly the same position!

While i am enjoying the kickstart program i am a little frustrated by slaving away in my job to pay of consumer debt.

Here is the approach that i have taken:

– allocated a portion of our income to paying the bills and some “pocket money” for entertainment etc. Do this by averaging bills over last 2 yrs and add 10%.

– use the remainder to pay minimum on all debts and pay the rest off the highest interest rate debt. when 1st one is paid off then go to the next highest.

– the challenge for us is to channel this “repayment money” into an investment “fund” to use to save for the deposit of the first IP once all the consumer debt is gone.

we are approx half way and the feeling when we chopped up 2 credit cards in the last month has been fantastic! (we are chopping them up so that we cant go backwards again and to increase the amount that we can borrow)

Personally i think that it is a change in attitude of the person that is crucial. Just last night I had the first great discussion with my partner about how we are going to afford a purchase of $8k and instead of the tempting “interest free” deal we now have a savings plan to pay cash later in the year – this is a big step for our financial future and hopefully a sign of good things to come ….

Good luck getting debt free – perhaps i can race you [biggrin]

I am also interested in any suggestions to get the deposit for 1st IP quicker.

Cheers
    Ben

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

3056 Please accept my apologies I didn’t intend to offend anyone.
    However my opinion of those evil cards remains.
    Having seen them seriously disadvantage many others my wife included.[angry2]

I would like the banks to be more disciplined and not lend more than the income earned in the 55-day interest free period.[baaa]

I would prefer if banks could not provide cards until our youth have been in the work force for at least a year so that they learn to budget with in their means first.[blink]

When we start to drive a car each of us must pass a test yet when it comes to financial matters we are tossed to the wolves.
    Economics at school didn’t prepare me for the world outside.
    Working for a market gardener after school and weekends definitely did this for me.[grad]

The art of living easily as to money is to pitch your scale of living one degree below your means.
    Sir Henry Taylor

Never spend your money before you have it.
    Thomas Jefferson (1743 – 1826)

Your friend Colin,
    Email [email protected]
    Home 02 46531376.
    Fax 0246531079
    Mobile 0425201055 (best contact as always working).
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter
    Originally posted by 3056:

I understand exactly what you are saying Simon and I take your comment as a compliment. I was just trying to make the point that the problem is the card owner, not the card.

Just like Guns don’t kill people – people kill people?

Point taken mate,

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.