All Topics / Help Needed! / Help with Bees

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Well , we are all very smart here on the forum so i thought I,d throw my delemma in and see what can be done about ‘my’ bees.

We have just purchased a modest sized industrial building on the edge of the estate . At the back of the building there is a busy bunch of bees who have a permanent long standing home behind the colourbond . Now that’s OK except the bees are nested right in the back of the meterboard .

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to kill all these bees easily and quickly ?

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Mortein?

Perhaps followed with a surface spray for lingering effect?

be careful tho that you don’t just make them mad. Is there a swimming pool you can jump into for escape like on the cartoons?

Simon Macks
    Residential and Commercial Finance Broker
    ***NODOC @ 7.15% to 70% LVR***
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of adambcadambc
    Participant
    @adambc

Pursefattener,

I know nothing about bees, but just did a Google search and came up with the following link (among lots of others!). I hope it helps!

http://www.honeybee.com.au/service/swarm/index.html

Cheers,

Adam

Oasis Finance
    for your Vendor Finance solutions
    Achieve the Dream!
    [email protected]

Profile photo of JarrahJarrah
    @jarrah

Pursefattener, Adam, Simon,

good evening all!

In my industry, Arboriculture, we come across bees all the time. Instructing a group of students 2 weeks ago we felled a tree dislodging a huge hive of Native Bees which are harmless and the honey (tons of it) is incredible, think Manuka x 10!

I have ALWAYS used a proffesional, bees can and will swarm when disturbed and can kill a human and will return if the job is not done properly. A lot of people are allergic to bee stings (just dont know it till they get stung) so be warry of this. Any good pest removal Co. will be able to do this for a reasonable price. Always ask if they’re insured, liscenced and experienced, never take ‘yes’ for an answer, get them to prove it (as should apply for any service or trade)…

We use cherry pickers if the hive is up high and a strong (industrial strength) spray or pyrethrum powder and follow up 1-2 days to a week later sometimes having to do a third spray. I have been attacked by european wasps in a tree and it is not cartoon humor, (especially as there was no pool!!) I am alergic to bee’s so dont get me started there!

Go well, and let us know how you go?

“ask and you shall recieve”

Sincerely, Jarrah

++CASH FLOW PROPERTY HUNTER
    (your not hunting if your not hungry)

[email protected]
    Climbing & Consulting
    Arboricultural Services

“be ye angels?”,
    “nay we are but MEN!”

Profile photo of DazzlingDazzling
    @dazzling
    We have just purchased a modest sized industrial building

Sorry pf…can’t help with the bee question, but congratulations on the purchase – well done…..care to share some of the details of the deal for all to learn from ?? Was it tenanted or taken on with vacant possession ??

Profile photo of Colin GowanColin Gowan
    Participant
    @colin-gowan

Hello Pursefattener,
    What ever you do don’t deal with it your self.
    Don’t under any circumstances ever allow any one to just spray with mortein etc.

Not only will it upset them but also they will stay pissed for ages.
    The ramifications from this is that they will attack and not just the person attacking anyone.
    People have been killed up to 200 meters from a hive 2 weeks after the hive was disturbed.
    So deal with a professional preferably an insured one.

A good aprist will first try to relocate an unwanted hive.
    This is the best and safest method as the bees are removed from the area with little perceived threat to them selves.
    Don’t get me wrong they are smart buggers they know when you are there to help and they some how know when you are there to steal too.

Go to your local council explain the situation and they will be happy to provide details of aprists in your area.
    All councils Australia wide have a duty of care to the public and bees are technically an agricultural crop so all councils must be able to place you in contact with a representative of the apriculture industry.

If the hive must be killed let the aprist make the decision and have them make the arrangements with an exterminator.
    No sense getting yourself involved too much just in case some thing goes wrong.

I am an aprist (4th generation actually), it is a fantastic hobby, and nobody bothers you on a day off.
    However the insurance cover is now so high that I am seriously rethinking my hobby.

If you think a swimming pool will save you from stupidity consider that they will wait, follow your smell and or attack others in the area.
    Isn’t nature wonderful.
    Avoid the problem make it someone else’s preferability an insured professional

“There is more to life than logic and common sense” David Blaikie

Your friend Colin,
    Email [email protected]
    Home 02 46531376.
    Fax 0246531079
    Mobile 0425201055 (best contact as always working).
    For all your CLEANING and GARDENING work.

Profile photo of MagellanMagellan
    @magellan

I once had a swarm of bees swarming onto a peach tree in my back garden– I consulted my yellow pages and contacted an apiarist who came in and cut off the branch where they swarmed and took them away at no cost to me– He was glad to have the bees. A full nest would prob.be more dificult. A relative had same prob and paid for removal. Just pointing out that sometimes there is a low cost solution available. I was v. young at the time with toddlers so was anxious for their welfare.

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Let me apologise for my tongue in cheek post earlier regarding spraying the bees.

I have done it to some effect on paper wasps with no problems. Except that usually I found the nest the hard way and those buggers hurt for ages.

As with all advice I give – Please consult a professional.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Participant
    @colin-gowan

Thanks Simon,
    I knew you were joking.
    Most of us have dealt with paper wasps at one time or another.
    But Bees are another matter.
    For one thing wasps number up to several hundred.
    Where as a decent colony of bees can be up to 100,000.

Wasps attack as individuals and don’t generally communicate with each other.
    Bees on the other hand communicate non stop with each other plus when they sting you its a marker pheromone for the next attacker to target thus multiple hits.

To bee fair to wasps they can sting several times where as a bee stings only once there for it is less likely to lay down its life for a small threat where as wasps can get away with being cranky.

Australia is lucky in that the European bees imported into Australia had to travel for months aboard sailing ships to get here and thus only the quietest of breeds came here.
    This and our isolation prevents contamination of the genetic pool.

True killer bees don’t exist in Australia and never will thanks to our high standards regarding quarantine.

Your friend Colin,
    Email [email protected]
    Home 02 46531376.
    Fax 0246531079

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I reckon between all the members here we must have resources to answer any question.

Who woulda guessed I would be learning heaps about bees today.

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of jhopperjhopper
    @jhopper

No so much help with bees rather a funny story!

Driving along a while ago in sunny Perth, windows down singing along to the radio when I drove through the middle of a swarm of bees. In a panic I was waving my arms around looking for a place to stop, didn’t notice a speed limit sign and promptly went through a speed camera.

When I got the notice in the mail, thought very seriously about asking for the photos and waiving the penalty, then thought, who would believe a story like that!

Could have ended badly but in the end, you just have to laugh!

Participant
    @colin-gowan

Simon buddy,
    If I knew everything would I be here.
    Definitely not someone would have knocked me off long ago.

I admire bees they work as a team, give their lives for the greater good, share knowledge of the best food sources and have food storage down better than us (the only thing still eatable in the pyramids).

Consider for a minute if there were no pollinating insects we all would be eating grass.
    They have even solved the problem of moving house by taking their friends with them when they swarm.

I only covered the basics of what to do.
    Plus a little knowledge about our friends tends to ward of some fears people have about them.
    It’s the least I can do for them considering how much honey I have consumed in my life.

Mmmmm honey.
    Or the number of times my better half has burnt a bees wax candle.
    Or the number of times my kids have used a bandaid, the glue used there is made with propolis which is bee glue, even modern science has not improved on its sticky yet sterile ability.

Seriously Simon between us we probably could cover most things or at the very least point in the right direction.
    Simon buddy we need a life [crying]

Your friend Colin,
    Email [email protected]
    Home 02 46531376.
    Fax 0246531079

Profile photo of JarrahJarrah
    @jarrah

Hey all!

Just a quicky!

Was 19 yrs old tearing along on my ZZR Kawasaki, pulled into a street, no doubt at the speed limit, hot summers day, a voice said “close your visor”, my hand instinctively reach for my face and slipped it shut as my concious kicked in questioning the action, 2 seconds or about 150 meters later I blasted through a swarm of bees! I would be dead today if I hadnt closed that visor…

“ask and you shall recieve”

Sincerely, Jarrah

++CASH FLOW PROPERTY HUNTER
    (your not hunting if your not hungry)

[email protected]
    Climbing & Consulting
    Arboricultural Services

“be ye angels?”,
    “nay we are but MEN!”

Profile photo of GelFGelF
    @gelf

…what species are they?

There are many Australian Natives that are non stinging so may not be a problem.

Try putting an ad in the local rag ‘ free bees to a good home – self removal’ and stand back ;-)

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

Well ……… some great advice there on bee management .

I initially wasn’t all that fazed about them being there untill I was out the back looking at all the mess I have to clean up and one stung me in my hair [angry2] . I’m really more concerned about them being in the back of the meterboard with all the wires and fuses in there .

I,ve bought the building with vacant posession after some stressful negotiating with some very unsophisticated and coarse vendors , up close and personal [biggrin]. Settlement was last Friday and I spent the weekend picking up broken glass , bags of domestic rubbish pulled apart by roaming dogs and organising a crane truck to pick up some old car bodies and some damaged concrete pipes which are useless . Hope the previous owners don’t turn up again wanting any of it [fear]

When i think about it , it’s probably not a bad thing having the bees there as the grafitti is not too bad at the back [biggrin]

Perhaps having another hive at the front might be a good security idea [crying] . Anyway I don’t mind cleaning up the mess as I can see what I’ii have at the end of it . Have already had some inquiry
    about a lease but that can all wait untill I get some more of the problems under control….

Participant
    @colin-gowan

Jarrah 2 seconds for 150 meters no doubt the speed limit.
    From memory 100km/hr is 27.8 meters a second.
    Don’t think the bees would have killed you.[specool]

GelF placing an advertisement will no doubt bring out someone to take care of them.
    But a lot can be said for getting a professional in who will have insurance and clean up after them selves.
    Since its in the meter board perhaps the first place to call to get it fixed would be the local electric company as they may have someone on staff who can take care of it.
    Considering that its their staff that are at risk when they read the meter yes.[skull]

Pursefattener many a time I have recommended to people just to leave bees where they are, after all they are only really a problem once disturbed.
    However a meter box is not the ideal place for them, the risk of fire with wax etc.
    Go with a professional who has insurance cover else the sting could be far worse.[glum2]

The one that stung in the hair was probably caught in it on the way back to the hive and instinctively it associated hair with its natural predator a bear.
    This could happen occasionally so risk assessment to others would be a good idea.
    Bees fly almost in strait lines which means that you don’t stand in front of their home because they work flat out and crashes there will bee common.
    A good aprist stands at the side of a hive to work with them.[rambo2]

Your friend Colin,
    Email [email protected]
    Home 02 46531376.
    Fax 0246531079

Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Who believes in Karma?

I have to go around one of my IPs tomorrow and deal with a wasp nest that is scaring my students.

[blink][blink][blink]

Simon Macks
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Profile photo of jsandsojsandso
    @jsandso

My tenant called me today to let me know that they have two(2) wasp nests under there balcony.

We have stated in our lease agreement that "…the tenant is responsible for the eradication of insect and vermin infestations caused by the tenants activities or lack of cleanliness. "
    Well I guess it is not really there fault that the wasps build there nests there so that clause may not apply.

Is there a rule as to who should pay for the removal of the insects?

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Wasps and birds in the roof are generally  not caused by the tenant's inaction to maintain a clean property (eg rats, mice, cockroaches etc).

These would be looked after by the lessor (if it is a net lease, then there may be some way of clawing back the costs under pest control or maintenance).

Profile photo of GopinathVijayGopinathVijay
    @gopinathvijay

What is happening to all the disapearing bees? and what can I do to help?
    In the news it has been talking about loads of disapearing bees, what has happened to them and what can I do to help?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.