All Topics / Forum Frolic / Anti-aging research

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of castoncaston
    Participant
    @caston

Hello,

I’m very interested in the possibility that we may one day be able to slow or even stop aging.

From reading the wikipedia article on Senescence you will find the following passage:

“Lately the role of telomeres in cellular senescence has aroused general interest, especially with a view to the possible genetically adverse effects of cloning. The successive shortening of the chromosomal telomeres with each cell cycle is also believed to limit the number of divisions of the cell, thus contributing to aging. There have, on the other hand, also been reports that cloning could alter the shortening of telomeres. Some cells do not age and are therefore described as being “biologically immortal.” It is theorized by some that when it is discovered exactly what allows these cells, whether it be the result of telomere shortening or not, to divide without limit that it will be possible to genetically alter other cells to have the same capability. It is further theorized that it will eventually be possible to genetically engineer all cells in the human body to have this capability by employing gene therapy and thereby stop or reverse ageing, effectively making the entire organism potentially immortal.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senescence

I keep up to date with the mprize and SENS. The mprize is basically a 3 million dollar (and counting) prize to anyone that doubles the lifespan of a mouse.

SENS is a framework for anti-aging research and curing aging.

I’m 24 and there are a lot of things I want to do in life and the most important one that I can see is to stop that clock.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

http://www.sens.org/

http://www.mprize.org/

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    @xenia

Great theory, but it goes beyond the cellular level, I would describe aging as a total systemic process!

How do you reduce the speed of that!

We buy properties in Adelaide. No Agent Fees.
    [email protected]
    INCREASE THE CASH FLOW FROM YOUR INVESTMENT PROPERTIES!
    http://www.renttoownau.com/ http://www.vendorfinanceau.com/

Profile photo of castoncaston
    Participant
    @caston

Dr.X:

Well if the individual parts in the system can be carefully maintained or even replaced then why not?

The biggest problem though is that once you pass breeding age the *protections* of millions of years of evolution apply less and less until your body may eventually fail from something that had no negative effect on your parents (grandparents and so on)
    ability to multiply whatsoever.

If there’s a mutation in your blood line that makes your head fall of when you get to 150 no one will find out until they reach that golden age.

Profile photo of JarrahJarrah
    @jarrah

WOW!

Iodine taken with another vit (escapes me now, prob vit D) has been scientifically proven to alter human DNA (no ref sorry will re-post if i find) thus assisting in removing potential diseases handed down genetically.

I have just moved from a share house where one of my house mates was doing his Phd on Human Movement, Anti Aging through Resistance Trainning, his studies were done on over 65 year olds and the study so successful they have kept the gym he set up and now run it as a gym for over 65’s, subsequently I have read heaps of articles on resistance trainning and anti aging and it is very interesting what can be achieved…

Regards, Jarrah

“ask and you shall recieve”

++CASH FLOW PROPERTY HUNTER
    (Climbing & Consulting
    Arboricultural Services)

“be ye angels?”,
    “nay we are but MEN!”

Profile photo of castoncaston
    Participant
    @caston

Do NOT take Iodine.

Direct contact with skin can cause lesions, so it should be handled with care. Iodine vapor is very irritating to the eye and to mucous membranes. Concentration of iodine in the air should not exceed 1 mg/m³ (eight-hour time-weighted average).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine#Precautions

Profile photo of JarrahJarrah
    @jarrah

Caston,

the human body can’t survive without it, like so many other minerals and vits it can’t survive without, I’m talking about tablet form and minute amounts.

Iodine is found in all dark green plant matter, 2 classics of these being seaweed and wheat grass, both renowned for good health giving qualities, infact i’m gonna go roll a nori roll now dude!!

Peace, luv and mung beans baby!!

“ask and you shall recieve”

Sincerely, Jarrah

++CASH FLOW PROPERTY HUNTER
    (your not hunting if your not hungry)

[email protected]
    Climbing & Consulting
    Arboricultural Services

“be ye angels?”,
    “nay we are but MEN!”

Profile photo of BajaBaja
    Participant
    @baja

Would it be possible to win, submitting the theory of putting said mouse in beaker (a), which is being heated at a slower pace by a bunsen burner than beaker (b), which is on a ‘high heat’ ?

Any solution is possible if only we argue the meaning of the arguement.

Baja.

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.

You are never given a wish without being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however.

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they’re yours.

Profile photo of PursefattenerPursefattener
    @pursefattener

So OK , we might live forever..

So what happens with ‘retirement and your SMSF’ . Sort of becomes a joke then . [blink]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.